I went to buy a new razor today

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LowellB, Feb 17, 2011.

1. LowellB

LowellB Member

I stopped at a shop today with the intention of buying a EJ DE86. While I was there I checked out a Merkur Progress and really liked it. I ended up liking it enough that I left to think about which one I want to try first. I have been shaving since this summer with a Ball End Tech and later got a Slim. Both I really like, but lean towards the Tech with a Feather in its hat, as my favorite. I'm really thinking about going with the EJ and using the money saved to order a bulk back of blades. I can always go and get another razor, right?

So this is how RAD starts....

:cool:

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Unless you are looking for adjustable aggressiveness, there is not reason to buy the Progress, considering you already have a Slim. IMHO. I have a Progress and I really like it, but I do not adjust it. I slam it all the way to 5+ and use it when I need the ultimate BBS.

My absolute favorite DE is the Star, which is a Tech clone, given to me for free, much as the Tech was given to you, and probably is the only razor I would ever NEED, but then I too did catch the RAD.

Right now I am on an SRAD trip and can't get enough!

I only need one strop really...okay two, and I have the second one already picked out, I am just waiting for the right opportunity to nab on it. Of course a paddle strop would be nice...

Back to you though! - I think that buying a big bulk sampler is money well spent because it is a lot of fun to try new blades. I think you will get longer lasting joy out of a big sampler pack than you would a new razor. IMHO.

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I agree with Jeff to give a sampler pack a try. Blades definitely make a difference and trying new ones is always fun.

If you are needing to scratch the rad itch, give the Feather Portable razor a try. It is a great little 3 piece razor like the tech, but a bit more aggressive. Besides the shave, the great thing about them is they run new about $12. The only problem is the handle is on the smaller side. Plenty of them out there, a WTB ad may get you one pretty cheaply.

4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Careful with those EJ eighty series, they are so good they might just cure any RAD symptoms for good!

5. Jeremysilverado

Jeremysilverado New Member

I'd take the EJ and a sampler pack all day over a progress.

6. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

M- E - R - K - U - R

Although I am biased and the Progress is a very good razor (IMHO).

7. LowellB

LowellB Member

I haven't tried that many blades, so a big sampler pack would be ideal. I have a monthly budget for hobbies and lately the old Mercedes has been eating lots of it. Still need to think about what I want to buy.

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Hack a chunk of metal off the bumper and grind an edge on it; I have heard German steel makes a nice shaver!

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Now you know where they get Merkur blades! :happy102

10. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

The EJ DE86 cured my RAD in razors (it is that good), which inadvertently transferred my RAD towards brushes.

11. drw6895

drw6895 New Member

Merkur vs. EJ

I have a Merkur Vision & EJ Chatsworth and alternate between them every few days. The Vision is easy to use, particularly if I have not slept all that well. You hear the tug of the wiskers with the Vision.

The EJ Chatsworth glides nicely, but depending on the blade you pick, you need to be on top of your game. I think I get a much closer shave with the EJ. I use both razors with either Gillette Yellows or Gillette Platinums (made in India). They work great in both razors.

If you are going to use Feathers in the EJ, be sure you are wide awake. It is easier to have a mishap with the EJ. The Vision is more forgiving with Feathers because it is adjustable.

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is what happens to old Mercedes Benz cars. I get the old motto of waste not want not applies! :D

13. dgamby

dgamby Active Member

I hear a LOT of love over the EJ's. Can't go wrong there.

14. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

The Progress is a great razor, I should know, I had one too. However, if i would be you I would buy the EJ and stock up on Feather or Astra SP blades with the money from the price difference. The combination of EJ89 and a Feather blade is much like a Tech with a Feather: incredibly mild and smooth yet super efficient.

This my recommendation sounds like a fool proof plan because I am certainly a Fool on some days (my wife can corrobate that) and, in fact, I did just that and it worked great for me. I've sold my Mergress (tuned up Progress) and initially replaced it with a (in Europe) much cheaper Muehle R89 and bought Feather blades by the bulk. Then I cam accross the EJ which is still cheaper then the Muehle and swapped again, which saved me a few additional bucks..

So, in theory (and in practice), great razors and blades for the Price of a Progress.. as long as RAD doesn't give you a harder Kick (like it did in my case: I could be perfectly happy with the above yet ended up getting a handful of other razors as well. But we'll leave it at that, as I don't want to influence you towards more hardware that direction...)