ID this vintage Merkur?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bythbook, Feb 12, 2009.

1. bythbook

bythbook New Member

This in today's mail, as a throw-in with an ill-described Gem Micromatic. From the bad auction pic I thought it might be a Progress. Has anyone seen one of these? Mercury on the butt of the handle; logo and "Germany," also "Merkur Patent" on the underside of the head.

thanks for any help!

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

It's an older version of the Progress.

3. bythbook

bythbook New Member

I thought so too from the original auction pic - but this one is not adjustable... was there a non-adjustable proto-Progress?

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Very cool! Can't say I have seen one just like that. I have had a very hard time finding anything on vintage Merkurs. I have one with a similar bakelite guard, still know nothing about it.

[​IMG]

5. bythbook

bythbook New Member

Very cool - I thought I saw this image somewhere - and couldn't find it again.... Different handles, huh?

Have you shaved with it?

I also seem to remember seeing one of these (mine, not yours) in a white bakelite box... can't find that image, either (probably on dbay).

A fellow on a different forum sent me a link to a German razor enthusiasts' site, but I haven't checked it out yet.... S'pose I should.

thanks for the pic and the reply!

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Yeah, I shave with it. Yours should shave very similar, quite nice. If you find more info I would love to hear what you find!

7. that is a nice looking razor. lucky find.

8. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

It is adjustable but lacks the numbering on the knob.