ideal blade for 11C (Merkur HD open comb)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dantes, May 18, 2008.

1. dantes

dantes New Member

Hi,

I am decided to buy a Merkur HD open comb 11C and consider a blade choice.

The point is to get a BBS in the smoothest way for my skin.

Actually my feather popular loaded with feather Hi did a great BBS except in the chin area (and the neck but don't consider it yet). In the chin area I cannot manage BBS in spite of multiple ATG passes.

So razor&brush suggest me a merkur 11c and a mild blade without naming them.

What would be your choice.

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Well, personally (I do love Gio), I dont think you need the open combed 11c. I think you would be just fine with any of the old gillettes (sans the 3pcs, they just dont work for me), or any of the Merkur razors. I havent used one but the washis, feathers, etc all tend to be extremely gentle on the skin. I personally would recommend you a Merkur HD as a razor of choice because its just an all around good razor and much more aggressive than the feather. You should look on the BST for an old Gillette. Superspeeds and techs are rather cheap and will give you a better shave than your feather. As for blades, everybodies perfect blades are different. If you are ordering from razor&brush I would suggest (my personal preference atleast) you try some astra blades, the treet carbon blades, and some sputniks. The treats are great blades and even better at the low low prices they sell them for.

3. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I went from a Feather popular to a Feather 3 piece travel razor that is really a clone of the Gillette tech. There's a review of that razor on this site. I would recommend that razor because:

It's built well and you can find it cheap. (Less than $20)
    It is similar to the popular, but has more weight. I found it easy to adjust to.

As for blades:

I love Derby Extra blades. You might try Israeli Personas, though. Very gentle and forgiving. The Feather popular is light and very mild. Moving to something with weight and "bite" takes some adjustment. Israeli Personas are perfect for the transition while you look for something to shave smooth and close.

4. dantes

dantes New Member

thanks for replies,

now i read a few contradictory posts concerning the slant.

some recommand it for tough beard & sensitive skins.

Are there just a bunch of troll or should it be seriously consider ?

thanks

5. JayKay

I dont think you should be considering a slant yet because you are still learning the technique of shaving and havent yet mastered it. I would still recommend the Merkur HD. Its a good all around razor and can be made more or less aggressive depending on blade choice. I wouldnt recommend you a slant or an open comb or any combination of the two untill you have your technique down on all of your face as well as your neck. Pick one razor and stick with it and stick with the same blades for a while. Once you have everything down than go and experiment with slants and open combs and that sort of stuff. Untill than, your techniqe is most important.

6. dantes

dantes New Member

By the way, did you try Derby/israeli with your popular too ?

Can you elaborate on what blades gave you satisfaction with your milder popular?

thanks

7. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

No I did not. I used either Feather, American Personas, or Wilkinson Sword. American Personas worked all right- they're a forgiving blade, but not very sharp. They're all I could get locally for a long time. I found a place that sells Wilkinson Sword and gaveb them a try- they're much sharper than the American Persona but not as sharp as Feather. They're my go to blade now. I suspect they'd work well in any type of razor.

When I ordered online I would buy Feather blades. They were/ are expensive but they gave an awesome shave, even in that milder popular razor.

Then I discovered this website and switched out my popular for that 3 piece I told you about. I bought a blade sampler from encure.com and tried the more popular blades- Derby, IP, 7am, Sharp. But that was only after a year and a half of shaving mainly with the American Personas. Like Jay said, pick a razor and a blade and stick with it until you get your technique down.

8. dantes

dantes New Member

well

after reading some reviews i ordered a feather portable, ($6.5 + shipping!!)

nowi have a doubt on what blades to choose as my point is to get bbs

the crystal are said to be forgiving and smooth but wille they deliver a bbs considering i have a though beard? on the other hand derby doesnt seem that smooth while i read great comments about russian gillettes like astra or iridium and i am seriously considering the iridium from r&b for only 22$/100.

9. JayKay

Just order a sample pack. No point in ordering 100 blades if you dont know what you like. I feel like the feather portable will be an extremely light razor which might make it a tad bit akward. I prefer bigger heavier razors for my tough beard. I also enjoy astras and irridiums (just shaved with one) in my HD, fat boy, aristocrat, and SS. I prefer sharp blades and heavy razors. I absolutely hate derbys. The only blades to ever give me razor burn.

10. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

If it's the metal 3 piece I recommended- it's the same weight as a Gillette Tech. It's substantially heavier than the popular razor.

Oh and...

This is a prime example of Your Mileage May Vary. What works for one guy won't work for another. This is why it's a good idea to get a sampler and figure out what works for you.

11. JayKay

Its all YMMV, as I also hate techs and have never had a good shave with one. The 3pc gilletes (news, techs, olds) just havent worked for me. Personally, I'd have just sprung for the Merkur as it is a great razor and a great starting point knowing you've got your self a razor that is widely available and everybody else on the forum pretty much owns. I dont think many people have used any feather razors around here. They're not mentioned much at least. Hopefully it suits your taste and works well for you. Stick with the sampler pack. Enjoy!

12. Neil

Neil New Member

Why not just use a Feather? Since you're going open comb, I think it makes more sense to use a very sharp blade. The open comb will allow you to really work the angle, and a super sharp blade combined with a good angle will cut through whiskers very easily. I learned that part of the reason using a Straight Razor was good for me is because you're completely in control of the angle. Hope that makes sense.

13. dantes

dantes New Member

I finally managed to get a great lather with my tabac soap stick, the trick was lathering directly on the face instead of using a bowl...

The resulting shaving was awsome, I get the result I used to get in 4 passes (wtg, 2xxtg,atg )in two passes (wtg. xtg) when lathering with palmolive sensitive aloes vera... and a final ATG pass delivers a BBS in the chin area!

I am surprised that a different lather can lead to such an improvenemt.

I am anxious to get my portable, expecting some stellar results!

14. JayKay

Lather is the deal maker or breaker :D