Identification Help

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Special_K, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Special_K

Special_K New Member

I try to identify the razors I find on my own but I not having much luck with these two. Picked them up at an antique mall Sunday.

The 1st razor looks to be a Probak in a Gillette case. There is an inspection insert in the case that has a 1905 date stamp on it but I think Probaks were made much later than that.
    Probak005.jpg Probak004.jpg Probak006.jpg Probak007.jpg

2nd one looks is a Gillette from England but I have not been able to ID it yet.
    Probak010.jpg
    Love the detail in the clasp of the case
    Probak011.jpg
    Any help on ID and back history is much appreciated. Always love learning from you guys on these old razors and the history of such.

2. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i think probaks were a products of the 1930s. i could be wrong though.

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Patent number 1633739 was filed in 1922 and granted in 1927

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=TD95AAAAEBAJ

Patent number 1639335 was filed in 1924 and granted in 1927

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=AH15AAAAEBAJ

Reissue of patent number 17567 was filed in 1923 and granted in 1930

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=V4MmAAAAEBAJ

It is probably safe to say that your Probak doesn't date to 1905. However, it could be mid 20's or 30's
    You can see the original patent diagrams and read the descriptions of the product in the links..

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

The Probacs were later, and it is a mismatch, but those Probacs are great razors, and that case and paper work would be very valuable to some people. Great finds! Sorry, I don't know anything about the second one.

5. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Thanks guys...

I was figuring that the Probac was not suppose to be in there....
    What razor goes in that case?

Here is a couple more pics of the 2nd one
    Razors 044.jpg

Razors 043.jpg

6. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I would imagine a Gillette would go in that case you found the Probak in....great detective work on that one, BTW... :rolleyes: :happy102 :happy102 :happy102

Seriously, though, I'm not quite sure. I'd think given the paperwork maybe an Old Type of some sort. Whether single ring, double ring, or other type of handle, I'm not sure. I'll let the real razor gurus comment on that.

That English one is really nice looking, too. Not knowing any better, I'd say it was a British NEW of some sort, judging by the base plate. But again, I'll defer to the gurus...

7. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

On first glance it looks like there is something missing near the top of the handle, but I see a similar handle on the Milady on Achim's website.

8. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

British NEW is correct. They came in two and three piece versions

[​IMG]

9. harlekin

harlekin New Member

The first case looks to be and old type for sure. I have a 1908 with a case that is very similar in design, though mine is metal. As the inspectors tag says 1905, I figure that the appropriate razor would be an early single ring.

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

If the 1905 is correct, then it would be a case for a double ring. Single rings came out in 1906. However, as the razor doesn't belong in the case, the rest of the items may not either.

11. Special_K

Special_K New Member

I thought I had looked at all of the pics on that site but I must have missed that one. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks to all for the help.