If you could only keep one safety razor. What one would it be??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bill G, May 12, 2017.

1. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

And for those that don't think it's wise they do not need to buy a Mergress or spend the money to upgrade a Progress to one. I would suggest sticking with the standard Progress if money is an issue it will give you the same quality of shave.

I purchased a Mergress because I could. I liked the upgrades they appealed to me and made a great razor even sweeter.

Happy Shaves All,
    Bill G

crackstar, twhite and PickledNorthern like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Eh to each their own I guess. It's a progress to me lol just with a fancier knob. It's just shaving. I just wanted the new guys who read this to know what a mergress really is. It's a progress that had its knob replaced. The company who did it, charges for the service. The shave is the same. You want a fancy progress?.. buy a mergress. I might get into the act by buying a mergress and having it revamped in gold and calling it " Regress" . It only cost you $300!! ;) Cha-Ching!! :happy036:

Spud and crackstar like this.
  3. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Ok...To each there own...That still does not change what I said or the meaning behind it.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    crackstar and Jorvaljr like this.
  4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

No it doesnt. :eatdrink047:Shave on

crackstar and Bill G like this.
  5. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Mine would have to be my Edwin Weber DE 89 Bulldog (DE 89 head with a Weber Bulldog handle).

crackstar and Bill G like this.
  6. It's a J-3 in almost mint condition. I've added a 1970 Fatboy within the week and had my first shave with it yesterday. The poor Feather AS-D2 may be getting pushed back to 3rd place.

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Bro the fatty's weren't made in 70, maybe a typo? downloadfile.png

8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Fair enough. I just think if you take a $70 razor and pay a guy $50 to work it up, it isn't unreasonable. And if it's something you want cause it flips your minnow, it isn't anyone else's place to start knocking it in a favorites thread.

I'm not calling you out, or David, but it turned, and it's partly my fault for picking the scab, into the same old forum merry go round conversation we have about badger brushes, stainless razors, high end soaps..... just a Wash, Rinse, Repeat. My apologies to the Op for derailing.

9. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Great points Brother...Thanks for defending someone's or all of our decision to pay a little extra for something nice that they like. And calling out the typical forum keyboard attacks that are made in a favorites thread. Quite often common place.

I just hold my tongue in these situations most times.

When I started this thread for fun I asked what razor a guy would keep if he could only keep one. I did not ask anyone to tear down my choice the Mergress razor or any one else's favorite razor choice.

No apologies required to me the original Op.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

10. david of central florida

Hey, how'd I get pulled in here. I love my progress, and have said so many times. And i may eventually get it turned to a mergress.
    But that said, it would be at the top of what I would like to spend on a safety razor.
    My shave life is good below 100 bucks. If others want to spend more, I'm happy for them. I'm not holding issues with anyone, I just don't want new guys to think they have to spend 400 for a razor to get the best shave. The baby can be had with instruments that cost way less. Now to the guys who can and did buy the high end, I'm happy your blessed, and hope your results are terrific.

Spud, crackstar, Primotenore and 4 others like this.
  11. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Nice chart. Thanks.

12. david of central florida

I really didn't see anyone attack anyone else, until you called it an attack. And attacks are not typical on this forum.
    Discussions often occur, sometimes we fall on one side or the other, sometimes we just aren't strongly pulled either way.
    Some wise people won't even respond to favorites threads. I wish I were one of those. Because now I think you were just trolling, trying to show off, or rationalize the money you spent on a fifty dollar knob.
    I hope you get the satisfaction you were searching for.

Spud, crackstar, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  13. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Maybe you took attack in the wrong context or maybe I could have used a better word. I was not even referring to you or anything you had said at all. Did it hit a nerve for being more true than not??

I don't need to justify anything about the cost of anything I purchase nor was I trying to show off anything. I was not trolling as you call it. Funny how guys revert to that word troll. I just was stating my agreement is general with PickleNorthern view on what happens in threads on forums. It seems quite often folks try to tear down someone else's choice. Just like you popping off here about me showing off my Mergress or trying to justify the cost, that was never my intent. You made my point here for me by your response.

As said I only asked what a guys favorite razor was in the original thread if he could only have one and which razor that would it be. Then I stated my favorite razor to date. I really looked forward to folks choices and liked hearing about all the diffrent choices folks made and even the reasons why they liked that particular razor no matter the cost, age or type of razor it was. It really was that simple Brother.

Oh and I agree this is a awsome forum and never have I had an issue here and have always enjoyed this forum.

Enough said on my part because no matter what someone will take it wrong. Just human nature.

Have a blessed day my Friend,
    Bill G

Keithmax, crackstar and Karl G like this.
  14. david of central florida

I love your choice, i am never trying to tear down, anything but whiskers. I even like the thread, very interesting what people value. Thank you for sharing it.
    What I don't care for, is the notion that a 200 dollar razor is required for a good shave. (I'm not saying you persay were implying that). If a man is affluent enough for a high end razor, I'm happy for him. But we are in a worldwide conversation, and i wanted to make clear that everyone was welcome not just the high end ones.
    Love and happiness to all who share here.
    D

Spud, crackstar, Bill G and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

All is good Brother...

Have a Blessed day,
    Bill G

16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Threads asking to make these doomsday decisions make me sweat...:scared007: Phew....I am ok now. So, to succinctly answer the OP, I would choose my Feather AS-D2. I love my adjustable TTO's but what if the mechanism breaks? I adore my vintage Gillette razors too, but, ...you see! I am sweating again. ;)

17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'd just grow a beard....

18. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I think I would pick the Merkur 34 C. Not withstanding materials and aesthetics, it gives me terrific shaves.

Bill G likes this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

When the apocalypse hits, I am going dreadlocks and full beard. Why worry....?

20. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Sorry if I'm flogging a dead horse but I just wanted to say I can see where both @david of central florida and @Bill G are coming from and you both made excellent points.
    I kinda like the Art Deco knob. It's so contrasting with the chrome. As David said (or sorta), there's lots of great razors out there that don't break the bank. If money wasn't an issue, like Bill G I'd have a Mergress. Anyway gentleman I enjoyed your banter!

Jorvaljr and Bill G like this.