If you had one of these...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, May 3, 2011.

?

The 1934 Gillette Aristocrat should be re-plated in...

Poll closed Jun 3, 2011.
  1. Nickel

12.3%
  2. Black Nickel

6.2%
  3. Gold

8.6%
  4. Silver

7.4%
  5. Rhodium

65.4%
  1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

[​IMG]

...and it was in need of re-plating - and now having seen what a razor looks like that's been re-plated in black nickel, would you have this 1934 Aristocrat re-plated in...

A)Nickel
    B)Black Nickel
    C)Gold
    D)Silver or
    E)Rhodium

?

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I'd rock Rhodium, but hey I'm sure its not cheap.

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

While the other razor looked awesome with that black nickel, the razor in question on this poll screams plate me in rhodium.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nickel all the way.

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I am going with Nickel. The Black Nickel is nice too, but if I had to live with it everyday it would be Nickel.

6. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

While I realize that this is a heirloom razor, what is the cost of nickel vis a vis rhodium? Anddddddd....where who would you use to insure that it was done properly but not too pricy?

7. IAmTheJody

Not sure what you mean by heirloom razor. The one in the picture is my mint one and since it is mint, I don't shave with it. I've recently acquired another one for shaving with and while functionally it's perfect, the plating is rough on it so I want to get it re-plated.

To have it done in nickel, the cost would be about $35.00, black nickel is $45.00, silver about $55.00, gold about $65.00 and to have it done in rhodium, the cost would be about $75.00. Considering how cheaply I acquired the razor, the difference in the cost of nickel and rhodium isn't an issue.

I'm also thinking about a 2-tone re-plate. Maybe the handle in black nickel, the head and TTO knob in nickel or rhodium?

8. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I really thought I was going to love the black nickel, I was hoping...

But it's not working for me..

I would go with Rhodium

9. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Jody, I would consider my heirloom razors as ones that I use, enjoy, and would pass on now or later to son and grandsons. My toggle, Futur, Fat Boy, and a few other rotation shavers are in that category. There are some like the WWI Kaiki set or Wilkinson Seven Day set that are bookcase items. I understand and agree with replating one that is rough and needs some work to enjoy your morning shave; I also have one in mind that meets the same criteria. So, your process is a learning curve for me. Best, Doug

10. IAmTheJody

Ah, I see what you're saying. Well I don't have kids and won't ever have them (don't feel sorry for me, I like it that way!) so I really don't have the "pass it on" thing to deal with. I imagine when I kick the bucket, the other half or someone else in my family will dispose of any I have at the time, on eBay. My brother may keep 1 for sentimental reasons or to give to his son one day but I doubt my nephew would treasure it or use it. He's a weird kid. :happy102

11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Hey Jody...You have us man!! Your Den-mates...What are we...Chopped-Liver???:happy102

12. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Man thats such a personal decision...I think the nickle and the black nickle are cool...I would probably do it in nickle...but it's such a beautiful razor, any of the above is going to be a knock-out...pretend like you all ready did it, and you are waiting for tomorrows shave...Which finish makes you the most excited, looking forward to tomorrow morning...??
    I did have a Beretta 92 done in Black Hard Chrome Frame with a Hard Chrome Slide...Two-Tone and it was an absolute knock-out...Got too many comments at the range...With razors I'm a bit of a traditionalist...But whatever knocks you out is whats important here...THAT razor is going to knock everyone out, whichever finish you get...:)
    I see what you mean though...the head Rhodium, handle Black Nickle and TTO knob Rhodium...Does sound striking...Maybe just the doors and TTO knob Rhodium and the rest Black...??

13. true01

true01 Member

I guess it just depends on what you intend on doing with it myself i like rhodium

14. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I think I would choose gold for this razor.

15. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I do love the black nickel, and after seeing your other thread the other day, I have a Big Fellow that I'd like in either black nickel or black chrome.

But for this razor in particular, considering it's hard-to-find rareness, my vote would go to rhodium.

But it would look great in black....:D

16. IAmTheJody

I think rhodium would add to resell value should I ever decide to sell it (not likely but you never know...) whereas black nickel would add to damn-that-looks-good value.:happy097

17. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

precisely

18. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I voted rhodium, but then again... I suppose it depends on how well that black nickel holds up over time.

19. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Jody, it just got a lot cheaper; the commodity bubble just burst.....Navy Seals are getting some of the credit for a stronger USA...looks like twenty five dollar silver by the end of the summer and everything else following the same percentage drop...:happy088

20. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

Im in for the nickell that was a good look.