If you're early you're on time...

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by COMPNOR, Mar 19, 2017.

1. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

I've gotten slightly better (or worse depending on your POV). I used to get to the theater an hour beforehand, but would be standing around and waiting since doors don't open until thirty minutes prior. So I've started timing myself to get there 30 minutes early.

Yes, I've seen it too. Even at my own work. It is sad. And while I dislike current generations behavior, in my opinion I find it worse when it comes from older generations. Like they should know better.

dustmite likes this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have been married to that for over twenty years. It is enough to make blood shoot from a guy's eyes.

Kenneth Sampson and RetLEO-07 like this.
  3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011: :happy088:

4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I am very fortunate to work in an industry that doesn't have to put up with it.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

If the world was full of guys like you, our problems would be over. :p

I'm not perfect, but I try to plan ahead and be on time as well. However, I'm not ready to say that there's never a good reason for being late (sometimes there is), or that being on time is the only way to show respect (it is not). I've had to keep schedules and honor commitments for many years, so I'm not giving anyone an easy out. I'm just saying there could sometimes be room for understanding and opportunities to extend grace in some situations.

I can be highly judgmental of other people, so I'm mainly talking to myself here. If you could see me now, you'd say, "That poor slob is talking to himself." :rofl:

:signs089:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    PickledNorthern likes this.
  6. RetLEO-07

:happy102:

wristwatchb likes this.
  7. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I was in the military; I was also a police officer. Time, in a manner of speaking, meant something.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, in my view) for me, time was always something for others to worry about. Time is a man-made institution. Oh, I still have to be "on time" for work, but other than that, it's meaningless. I don't care what time it is. If I have to "be somewhere" at a certain time, then I make the adjustment. When I'm done, pfft. I don't care anymore. It's a state of mind that has been forced onto me by modern society. I conform only when I have to. I have no one waiting for me, and I wait for no one.

8. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

While I certainly respect your position, I feel that it should be pointed out that in the OP's case, people being late infringe on the people who were on time. If I have to run errands on my day off, I do so at my own pace, but if I'm going to a movie, appointment, or dinner with a reservation, etc. I strive to be early.

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Yep. It's the number one irritant in my home. No one is ever ready on time.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  10. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Which is exactly what I meany by "I have no one waiting for me, and I wait for no one."

PickledNorthern and dustmite like this.
  11. COMPNOR

I don't think there is ever a good reason to be late. Legitimate reasons, sure. Hell, one time I had a doctor's appointment and left plenty early, but there was a traffic accident or something and I ended up being late, but I made a call to let them know. In fact, if I ever think I'm going to be late, I let someone know if possible. And then I usually arrive 5 minutes early. But I do feel like if you're going to be 30+ minutes late, you should probably rethink your plans. I went and saw Once at the Fox last year, and a couple showed up like half way through the first act. Like this afternoon, I went and saw the new Beauty and the Beast. Showtime is 3pm. The lights dim and the commercials/previews start, and this group of 6 comes in to sit down. Not only that, but one then answers his phone. Apparently his buddy on the other end was calling him to make sure it was turned off. They all thought it was funny. I thought it was obnoxious. I mean, I get previews can last 20 minutes or so, but you should not be waltzing in at showtime. At least act like you're out of breath from hustling to your seat.

And I certainly admit that could be room for understanding. But me being highly judgmental of everyone, and quite cynical, I don't give an inch. :ahem:

My uncle was in the Army Guard. Growing up, him and his family were ALWAYS late to family functions. Not just like 15-20, or even 30 minutes. Hours. No explanations, no phone calls, and we'd be waiting on dinner. We eventually got to the point where we said we are eating at X time, if you're here you're here, if not oh well. I always thought it was odd for a military man, but my mom once posited that due to the "on time" nature of the military, when he wasn't serving he could do as he pleased, and time didn't matter as much. I still found it a load of hogwash. You're own time is you're own time, but late to functions without any kind of notice isn't acceptable.

dustmite likes this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I am generally early or on-time. I like to leave early enough to allow for the unanticipated stuff-traffic jams, transit delays & lack of parking. My younger sister is habitually late, to the point that we have been known yo lie to her about the time of an event, in order to get her there when she should arrive.

RetLEO-07 and Keithmax like this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Letting the little things in life will end your life well before its time.

wristwatchb likes this.
  14. RetLEO-07

:happy088: :happy097:

15. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Being late to an appointment, either business or personal, is a way of saying "Yes, I know you are waiting, but my time is more important than yours."

16. RetLEO-07

Amen

markjnewcomb likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I'll agree, assuming this is someone who is habitually late. Once in a while, even the most prompt can run into a circumstance they can't control.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  18. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

That is called "being unavoidably detained".

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  19. COMPNOR

True. But the people who get snarled in traffic and know they are going to be late are also the people who will make an attempt to notify the other party they are running late.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sara-s likes this.
  20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've always been early, from the time I was a child. One brother was right on time, the other was always late.
    Out of my three children, #1 is rarely on time, if he ever shows up. #2 is usually on time, and she is punctual. #3, she always has to be 15-30 minutes early, just like me. It drives my wife crazy, because she can be 10 minutes late, and it won't bother her. My wife ca get it in stereo if we have to get somewhere on time. My daughter pesters her to hurry. I don't have to pester her much anymore. It makes a father proud. :D

RetLEO-07 and COMPNOR like this.