Ikon B1 razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, May 26, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Took custody of yet another stainless steel razor this week - this time a brand new Ikon B1.

The first two things that struck me when I took it out its box were;
    - man, it's really, really black, and
    - it is heavy!

What I meant by it being black is that it's not some faint paint over leaning towards grey...this is solid, deep, dark black. Very nice actually.

It's also heavy - right away it felt heavier and larger than my Weber w/ a Bulldog handle and it turned that that it is indeed a bit longer. See further down for comparison photo.

Build quality seems to be really good. I was, I must admit, a bit worried about that having no experience with Ikon's products in the past but I was very pleasantly surprised.

It'll be really interesting to shave with it and see how it compares to other stainless steel razors.

Here it is propped up in a generic stand (not by Ikon):
    [​IMG]

"It's really, really black"
    [​IMG]

Your regular three-piece construction:
    [​IMG]

Comparison to a Weber Bulldog handle:
    [​IMG]

2. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Nice razor! What is the coating on it?

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Actually I am not 100% sure. All it said was:
    "B1 is our proprietary matte black finish applied to high polished stainless steel.
    Our original DLC is a shiny black and has a hint of silicon mixed into it that is lubricious in property.

The new B1 series is matte black color and bit more durable regarding scratch and wear resistance.

The B1 Coating is different in appearance and feel than our DLC.
    The tone of the black of B1 is more muted almost matte finished when seen in certain light."

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

That's a nice looking razor! iKon razors IMO are high quality. Where they lack is in customer service. Enjoy!

Darkbulb likes this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I've heard stories along that from other people as well so I'm hoping I won't have to find out for myself :)
    I also bought it from a very friendly online store so hopefully I'd deal directly with them if anything would come up - so far it all looks good. Coating is very even, blade aligns well and all pieces mount as they should.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

..and, just for fun, a couple of macro photos using my $2 iPhone lens;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

Very nice looking razor. Congrats. Would like to see a blade loaded. :)

Darkbulb likes this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Cool razor!

Darkbulb likes this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks, I'll see if I can snap one tomorrow :)

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

First shave with it and I have to say it was a stellar shave!
    The razor is on the aggressive side but never to the point that it felt like it would nick me. It sort of felt a bit like a Weber head but more, do I dare to say it, smooth/efficient.
    I am very impressed - not only in the build quality but in how it performed. That it looks great it just a nice bonus ;)

(@Cap7597 you might be able to see some of the blade exposure in the photo below).

[​IMG]

11. Cap7597

Yep. It's a beauty. Glad to hear it shaved well. What is the model number and all? Still in production?
    Not up on the times with Ikon.

Darkbulb likes this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think it's simply referred to as the "B1". I'm not a 100% sure on if it's current production or not..it's kinda hard to keep up with what iKon is considering to be current and not....

RaZorBurn123 and Cap7597 like this.
  13. Cap7597

Yep. I've seen the head before, just not a black handle. Really nice looking!! Thanks

14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Beautiful! Is that picture take with the new lens for your iPhone? I really like the the iKon B1. Man. I must resist.. Beautiful picture!

macaronus likes this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The last picture (whiteish) was just straight through the iPhone but the two macro ones above were with the $2 macro on the phone.

What might make it easier for you to resist is that, as far as I know, the B1 is now out of stock globally. I got mine from a small store in Australia....

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  16. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

The force was strong in this color choice..
    BLAAckVader22a.jpg

macaronus, PLANofMAN and Darkbulb like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very cool pic.

RaZorBurn123 and Darkbulb like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The finish is Rogard. Almost 100% certain.

macaronus likes this.
  19. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

It's a NEW Deluxe clone, so I would expect it to be a very good razor, both in comfort and results.