Ikon El Jefe

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jose Luis, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Jose Luis

Jose Luis New Member

What is your experience with this SE razor?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

RaZorBurn123 and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. Jose Luis

Jose Luis New Member

I will apprecciate any comments about Ikon El Jefe.Thank you

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Jorvaljr likes this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

The Ikon El Jefe is a Shavecraft line razor that had a somewhat tainted release because of poor tolerances to parts, and perhaps poor design in the posts holding the razor blade. There is a lot of play between top and bottom plate requiring some fiddling to make sure the blade is aligned properly. The threads on many of the posts are wonky, and may require trying several handles before you find one that will thread all the way on. How big or little these issues are vary from razor to razor. If you buy an Ikon handle, it seems the thread problems are fine.

They are good shavers, on the med high side in terms of aggression, just enough that you have to use it lightly. They give a great shave, and are pretty cheap to come by. Certainly cheap enough to try one if you are interested.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Roll of the dice. I couldn't get mine to work properly no matter how much fiddling I did.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

5. PickledNorthern

I got lucky, I guess. I did need to try about five different handles, from cheap to expensive to get one to work. Both of the Maggard handles I have would thread on.

jmudrick likes this.
  6. Jose Luis

Jose Luis New Member

Thank you for your kind answers.I bought one from Ebay with a RAZOROCK Bamboo handle.Afterwards I read some ugly things about this shifting blade so I get a little nervous about it.But now it is done so i have to wait and pray that this one works fine.
    Will let you know

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I haven't used that razor, but the iKon customer service is awful. JMO.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  8. PickledNorthern

+1. IMO, all Ikon transactions need to be treated with a buyer beware attitude going in. He did make right on the El Jefe thing, but the community was pretty upset with him as a whole, and it wasn't handled well.

9. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

It will take a little fiddling to get accustomed to loading the blade in its least aggressive setting. For this descrepancy some people call it an adjustable. I do use it with good results every time and I consider it an aggressive SE. Every time I use it, I'm pleasantly suprised how smooth and efficient it really is. I use it with Kai MG's which I consider a very smooth blade while being efficient.

10. PickledNorthern

That is a stretch. That's like calling failed brakes, "anti-lock".

It is a sloppy razor. It works well when fit together properly, but it is just plain sloppy.

11. Dragonsbeard

Dragonsbeard Member

Mine works fine. Got a Bulldog handle on it and no alignment issues. Guess I got lucky. Not as aggressive as I thought it would be as I like very efficient razors.

12. PickledNorthern

Just out of curiosity, what razors do you compare it to?

The opinions on the efficiency of this razor have been all over the board. Of all the new recent aluminum releases, (General, Hawk, and El Jefe) mine is a screamer comparatively. I would rate it higher than my Mongoose B3, and about the same as the v1 Alumigoose.

13. Dragonsbeard

Dragonsbeard Member

Well as far as SE razors it's not as efficient as my Brass General, Blackland Sabre or Gem MMOC and in fact I have a Schick O Ring Clone that I shaved with yesterday that gave me a closer shave than the El Jefe did yesterday. Not including some of my DE razors which I have some that are also more efficient than the El Jefe but it's a decent shaver and for what I paid for it I'm happy with it. Just not in my Top 10 in my den. Also a NOTE: I haven't done a ATG pass with it yet as I've got a red bump problem I got from going ATG for 2 weeks straight and I've had to back off to a DFS for now.

14. Kypros Christodoulides

15. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Ikon has terrible QC if you ask me. I've had two razors. An X3 which fit together fine but had a terrible finish, and a 102 in which the top cap didn't sit flush with the bottom plate and had a wavy blade. I've written them off, after this and reading Greg basically treats customers like crap. Their products aren't even made here. I have no issue purchasing goods made in another country, but usually the business is located in said country. Sometimes you can't help that, but Greg can. Sorry, I haven't ranted in a while, and I hate when a business owner is disrespectful to customers.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  16. Dragonsbeard

Dragonsbeard Member

To be honest I've never uploaded a photo on here but they are on my phone and every time I try it takes me to Taptalk and I loose the site. Doesn't happen only on here so I'm puzzled.
    On the razor. Being aware of the issues I had read about it I'd looked at the blade alignment with a magnifier and it looks ok to me. Let me ask you a question since I haven't had it very long. What are the complainants as far as shave's goes? For me I expected better so I wan't overly impressed on the first shave yesterday and yet I've heard guys say it's aggressive, very efficient and a great shaver. I found it to be not very efficient or aggressive as some may put it. ( I don't use the word aggressive to describe a razors efficiently ) Also my shave was spotty meaning I applied the same pressure on my face and neck and yet there were areas that just had stubble left were others did not and I'll add these were not necessarily trouble spots or cowlicks it was kind of random all over so my first impression was so so on my first shave yesterday. As far as the razor it seems like everything is in good shape and it feels good in hand with the bulldog handle but I got a sub par shave out of it today. Like I said yesterday I shaved with an O Ring clone and it was a much better shave in the same 2 passes so I thought maybe it was the blade I used as I had used it before in another razor and was on the 4th shave with it so I didn't judge the El Jefe to much as it was my first shave with it but after reading this I'm questioning this razor. I'll try a different blade and if it's the same results it's going bye bye.

17. Kypros Christodoulides

I feel for you as I also have trouble uploading pictures here.
    The problem with the razor is that the posts on the top cap holiding the blade in place are too small for the blade and the bottom plate with the result of the blade moving about. The same happenes with the bottom plate as well. To load it, I hold the razor with the cutting side facing the ceiling, I tap it so the blade falls as far back as possible while pusihng the bottom plate as forward as possible (towards the ceiling) while trying not to disturb the blade. This way you get the least aggressive setting.
    Most of us find it to be an aggressive, efficient razor which needs watching all the time. Once mastered though it's very satisfying to use.
    In your case I'll agree that your blade might not have been in good condition, so I would suggest using a new one. I use a pro when I have several days stubble and a Kai MG for anything up to two -three days growth.
    Please keep us posted on your next shave with it.
    BTW, the new revised El-Jefe will be out soon.

18. Kypros Christodoulides

I wanted to put the El-Jefe to its paces again after a long while of inactivity and also prepared the variant and the Supply Provision injector V1 for comparison. The E-Jefe was loaded with a Kai MG and God only knows how many shaves it had on it already. I was rewarded with a BBs in 2 passes and corrections as I remember it performing in the past. It outperforms the SP on plate2 and also the Variant on 4.5 with a new Feather.
    This little razor is not only visually pleasing, it also never ceases to amaze me how well it shaves. There is a learning curve to it though, remembering the blood baths I had with it on the first few shaves. I'm definitely going to get the new El-Jefe when it comes out.
    I suggest you keep yours too, as it's a limited edition.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  19. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

It has it's faults. Like a few have said on here. But it gives me fine shaves every time I use it. Placing the blade far forward against the back of the stops, and it's a wickedly ferocious razor. Do the opposite in pushing the blade back against the front of the blade stops, tame as a pussy cat. I like to think of it as somewhat an adjustable. Not for everyone, which is understandable. One false stroke and you can pay dearly. I've never had an issue with it. As good as any SE razor out there in terms of giving an excellent shave, imo. I even tried it with a Feather Super (won't do it again) pushed far forward, extremely light pressure and extreme caution while shaving. Works well with any blade, just have to make sure the blade is mounted and aligned properly. I'll say this FWIW, I consider it practically an equal to the Rx in terms of shave quality it provides. And a hell of a lot cheaper too. @Dragonsbeard if it does not work out for you, I'd be interested as I'm looking for a backup.
    IMG_0680.JPG

20. Dragonsbeard

Dragonsbeard Member

Hi Kypros
    Thank you for the tip. I did what you said and also played around with it and you were right about loading the blade. I will try shaving with it again today with a new blade and see if it is close to the more efficient razors I normally use.

Hi Str8on2 I mentioned this to a friend who has been shaving with the El Jefe and is always praising it for being as efficient as his Gem MMOC which I place as 4th most efficient razor in my Den which I do like a lot. If the El Jefe doesn't work out I'd probably look to dispose it so I'll remember your offer. I have to say I was excited to finally get one and one that looks like brand new and after the 1st shave I was not to happy with the results which at the time I thought to myself well I'll give it another shave or two and if it doesn't preform that way I like a razor to do I'll put it in with the other razors that are on the way out of the den.

Thanks guys for your help and input.
    :happy088: