Ikon X3 Slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Linuxguile, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I thought I would make a thread for discussion and reviews for the new Ikon X3 slant. Who else has one on the way ? I plan to use the head on my cadet handle.

Here is a stock photo for teasers:
    [​IMG]

Bill G, Boojum1, alpla444 and 2 others like this.
  2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I have mine delivered by Thursday.

Standard setup with the Bulldog handle.

I'm planning on using it with my Rockwell handle. The Rockwell uses 10-30 thread whereas Ikon (and ROW) uses M8 so fingers are crossed there's enough tolerance for this to happen. If not, I'll order the Shaving.ie satin handle.

TheFiveO, Slow Joe and Linuxguile like this.
  3. tuxxdk

Strike this.

Ikon just announced a satin handle themselves.

http://bit.ly/29NGBws

Looks too cool to pass!

Linuxguile and alpla444 like this.
  4. Linuxguile

That looks NICE!

tuxxdk likes this.
  5. tuxxdk

It really does. I wonder what it'll be priced at?

Also how limited it'll be.

6. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I have one with the bulldog handle. I'll take it on it's maiden voyage later today.

tuxxdk and Linuxguile like this.
  7. Linuxguile

Looking forward to your report!

RyX and Robyflexx like this.
  8. cmorris357

Okay, here are my post shave thoughts. I loaded up a new Gillette Silver Blue, lathered up with Soap Commander Purpose, using my Stirling Kong brush. I did three passes WTG XTG ATG. The razor is well built, nice fit and finish especially for the price point. The blade loaded with no alignment issues. Oddly the baseplate has small close scalloping on one bar and deeper, wider scalloping on the other. I'm not sure if this was designed to offer a different shaving feel, but I couldn't tell the difference between either side. I do like the feature that the blade tabs are completely enclosed. I have been poked and scratched by some razor designs. Overall I find this razor to be very mild, I don't think I could nick myself if I tried, at least with the GSB.. At first I thought it would wind up being too mild, but as it turns out, it's incredibly efficient. Usually after a 3 pass shave I have to do a good bit of touch up to get a BBS shave, but this time the touch up was very minimal. I did a cold rinse and applied the alum block and there was only a light tingle. I splashed on a little Witch Hazel and Aloe, as I do after all shaves, and when it had dried I applied some Myrsol Blue. It's been an hour now and I think this is one of the better shaves I've had. I think it might even be better than the shave I get from my ATT slant. This will definitely be a regular in my rotation.

Bill G, RyX, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  9. Linuxguile

Very nice, My head should be here by Friday. I can't wait!

10. cmorris357

Here's an overhead shot showing the different scalloping on each side. As I said I couldn't really tell he difference, but maybe the next time I'll try using one side on my left and the other on my right and see how that does.
    image.jpeg

11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

@cmorris357 Have you shaved with Ikon's B1 or the Razorock Stealth? I am wondering how they compare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. cmorris357

I have not. I have the Ikon Shavecraft 102 slant, an Above The Tie S1, and a Merkur 39C , and I can say the X3 is as good or better than any of those. I paid $55 for it at Bullgoose Shaving, and it's well worth the money to me.

13. PickledNorthern

I really enjoyed the S2, like the 102 just fine, but found the 39c, B1 and Stealth to be a bit uncomfortable. The X3 looks similar to the B1 which is why I asked.

I totally agree that for the price it is kind of a no brainer to try it. I am sort of hoping someone will compare it identically to the B1. I am trying to place myself on sabbatical for razors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cmorris357 likes this.
  14. cmorris357

I think the X3 is much more comfortable than the 39C, which I agree can be a little rough and picky about angle. I was able to get a very close shave with the X3 with no feeling like it could bite or scrape. I was actually surprised how mild but efficient it was.

RyX likes this.
  15. PickledNorthern

Thank you. I think.

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Oh my, better than the 102 and 39c? I gotta get me some of that!

Bill G, Robyflexx and Linuxguile like this.
  17. tuxxdk

My X3 arrived today! And oh my it fits my 10-30 Rockwell handle perfectly with no binding at all. Much better fit, finish wise, than the supplied Bulldog handle.

Gotta take some pics later.. I just have to :D

AGHisBBS and Linuxguile like this.
  18. Linuxguile

Please do!

19. tuxxdk

The iKon X3 is mated with the Rockwell handle in all photos.

My flash has made the finish on the handle a bit more shiny than it appears in real life. It's a very close match. I'm so stoked!
    The last picture shows the original supplied Bulldog handle from iKon.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bill G, RyX, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  20. Linuxguile

Looks Awesome!

tuxxdk likes this.