Ikon X3 Slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Linuxguile, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Awesome razor! Love the bull dog handle. Why did you go with the rockwell? Was the original handle a different plating?

2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs154:

tuxxdk likes this.
  3. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Yes, as shown in the last photo, the iKon Bulldog is in the right. It's mirror polished SS, opposed to the satin finish on the SS Rockwell handle and the aluminium iKon head. IMHO the satin and polished finish doesn't look good together when mated.

Redfisher likes this.
  4. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

The finish on the Rockwell handle is a better match. I'm probably going to need one of these....

tuxxdk and Linuxguile like this.
  5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Haha, a good excuse to buy an s6!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

tuxxdk and Redfisher like this.
  6. Linuxguile

Got my X3 head in the mail today. Here it is mounted on my cadet handle:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First shave won't be for about a week as I will be testing the Rapira Swedish Supersteel with Neal starting on Wednesday

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Bill G, tuxxdk and barbersurgeon like this.
  7. Spiez

Spiez Active Member

I have one on the way, I'll give a review.

Linuxguile likes this.
  8. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Enablers, the whole lot of you! Does anyone have a MR5 handle? I'm curious if this fits.

RyX, tuxxdk and Linuxguile like this.
  9. Linuxguile

Maggard handles use the same threads. @SHAVEWIZARD420 was using one on an MR18 handle I believe.

SHAVEWIZARD420 and ob1page like this.
  10. ob1page

Fantastic! Hopefully this ends my RAD for now

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. tuxxdk

You're funny :D

Just kidding. I feel the same after my purchase.

barbersurgeon and ob1page like this.
  12. ob1page

I do not have high hopes that it will there's just too much to try

tuxxdk, Linuxguile and Robyflexx like this.
  13. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Yes the Icon x3 head fit on both the Maggard MR18C and MRG handle. The Icon is a nice shaver.

ob1page likes this.
  14. Linuxguile

SOTN August 1st
    (shaved before bed last night)
    [​IMG]

Ikon X3 Slant
    GSB
    Stirling 24mm Synthetic
    Stirling Executive Man
    Homemade lime AS

First shave with the Ikon x3 slant happened last night. First of all it feels very mild on the face, like shaving with a SuperSpeed or a Merkur. There was no tugging or sense of dragging, but of course that may have been due to the GSB. Performed my normal 3 passes and then rinsed off inspecting the results expecting to be somewhat near BBS. Not so, I could feel micro stubble on my face as though I had only gone WTG. I lathered up again and did a 4th pass with some additional buffing but still there were spots that felt like 2000 grit sandpaper, not rough but you could tell that it wasn't that close. The good news is that the Alum was completely quiet. And my home made AS smelled delicious! It also felt very nice on the face with no need to apply balm afterward. I will have to play with the angle on this razor more, It seems like finding the optimal angle could be tricky. Have a great day my friends!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    Bill G, RyX, ob1page and 4 others like this.
  15. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Another great shave with the Icon X3 head today. Very nice piece of machinery.

16. Spiez

Spiez Active Member

I need some help, is each side of the X3 different? It was mentioned earlier and I asked the question but there was no response. I could be me, I may have asked on another thread.

Linuxguile likes this.
  17. Linuxguile

Yes, the scallops on each side is different. But both sides shaved the same. see the difference at post 10:
    Ikon X3 Slant

tuxxdk likes this.
  18. MrMcGoo

MrMcGoo Member

I'm a newbie as I have been using only a 59-Fat-boy the past year and just bought the X3 to try another style razor. Well I jumped in with new soap, a new brush along with the new X3 and an Astra blade which I have only used once before. Since a recent surgery I hadn't shaved in 5 days so had a good growth. First normal pass removed most of the growth and I followed up with ATG and XTG and it was very smooth. I had a little irritation on my lower neck but I believe that was from the new soap. Next I would like to see how this works for the work week but won't be back to work for a couple of weeks. Now to figure out what razor next, wanted a wolfman but he isn't taking names for a waiting list.

Gary

RyX, Linuxguile and tuxxdk like this.
  19. tuxxdk

I really wanted the Astra to work for me in the X3, but it also gives me a slight irritation. Don't know why. Vikings Sword on the other hand is a butter smooth irritation free experience.

I think I'll try Voskhod next. I'm really searching for a blade that works great in all my razors.

Linuxguile likes this.
  20. MrMcGoo

MrMcGoo Member

I have been using the Voskhod in my Fatboy and so far I really like them. Prior to them I have mainly used feather but not sure about trying them in the X3.

Linuxguile likes this.