I'm starting to wonder if I'm cursed .

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Hoss304, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

Two days after a good shave I get the bumps. Then today my shirt rubbing it has sent it into haywire mode. Itching something awful and scratching turns it into welps. Do I just have the most sensitive skin in the world ? [​IMG]

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Witch hazel help you any?

3. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

If you go ATG then I suggest stopping. Try using a balm as well. Speick is excellent.

4. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Do you have alum? I asl because I thought I was doing a good jpb with angles and got an alum block and was woken up a bit.

Angle issues combined with summer humidity and a T shirt rubbing could be a bad combo.

Then again I don't know much so I could be completely wrong...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

5. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

You know more today then you did yesterday.

Herm2502 likes this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've had that many times. I use a good aftershave that contains alcohol and preferably a glycerin moisturizer in it, to calm it down.

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

You may not be cursed, but your causing the issue on your neck. Use the witch hazel to calm that down.
    Give it some time to heal.
    Get some aloe with lidocaine, treat it as a sunburn.
    Stop scratching, your only making it worse.
    Now, when you are healed up.
    Start back with two passes, only enough for a shave (not super seal skin smooth, the dolphin will come).
    Try using a bit of stretching when shaving (remember no pressure on the blade, let it slide, removing stubble as it goes). Try to make flat areas, flat spots shave easier. Remember two passes, no buffing or overtly trying to remove the stubble. JUST REMOVE LATHER, stubble will go with it. I think the bumps are from scraping (ie improper angle), removing only lather, should keep your angle good.
    Light touch, listen to the blade(if you only use the edge of the blade, which razor won't matter). Maintain the angle that allows the blade to glide not grab. Be happy with ok, good will come, great will be down the road.
    Stick with one setup (hardware wise). Take your time, breathe. You can do this, and with proficiency, if your patient and steadfast.
    Heal first.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Yehuda D, Linuxguile and Primotenore like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

+1 Skin Stretch like you mean it.

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Map your beard, then, do not shave against the grain. Go with the grain and then across the grain.

WTG, then XTG.

BigMark83 likes this.
  10. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I cannot do XTG... no matter what I trash my neck. I can do ATG without to much excitement.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

11. Hoss304

I witch hazel , all of the above. My irritation starts day after or two days after shave.

12. Hoss304

I was stuck at work with this irritation. I washed it and put hydrocortisone cream on it.

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Cold water shave. If you don't shave with just cold water, try it. It may just help.

BigMark83 likes this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Send me $50 and a goat and I will put in a good word with a witch doctor I know in New Orleans. If it starts that long after shave that could be environmental. Hard to think shave irritation shows up that far out. That is more like irritation from the stubble growing back and rubbing on collar or something.

Stu929 likes this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Excellent advice. +1
    I agree, you are scraping not slicing...

16. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Go back to one pass WTG, use a balm and let your skin heal. You might even try a Mach 3 to get a closer shave in a single WTG pass.

17. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I've had a problem with folliculitis, of late. In an effort to cure it, I increased the products I used and the frequency that I washed my face. In the end though, I went back to basics, used a two pass shave which I have stuck with and a sensitive soap and balm that I knew caused no problems. One by one I cut out everything else. It turns out it was the Thayers witch hazel. One thing that has also helped is that I've stopped shaving daily. I'm do it four times a week now! ;) Good luck.

18. Hoss304

As far as the mach 3 comment ... I don't know how to quote .. I was a mach 3 shaver most of my life until going DE a few months ago. I still had this bump issue with carts but now I'm using much more products than I did previously . I'll try taking it back to the basics once this goes away.

Yehuda D likes this.
  19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Speaking from experience in the area of irritation, remember, you're cutting hair, not scraping skin. If you drag the edge of the blade across your skin it sounds like it's working, but it's not. Keep the blade at as shallow an angle as possible. Dave above has good healing advice.

Herm

Yehuda D likes this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

i had similar irritation on the lower neck when i used carts. stopped when i went to de,however if i overshave that area it could reoccur.i also found that my laundry soap reacted with the shaved area as well.