I'm starting to wonder if I'm cursed .

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Hoss304, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    The adage "Ride the cap" clearly applies here.

Herm2502 and brit like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What products did you use? You could be allergic? Over shaved. Poor prep. Bad blade.

mikewood likes this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

This is a new one for me... How does that work? This is about like listening to how my mother keeps falling out of bed in the nursing home, yet, she has full bed rails.

Herm2502 likes this.
  4. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I cant say it makes since but ATG works for me no prob except occasionally on my jaw line and thats my fault with angles I'm sure. Xtg is prob an angle issue as well but my standard is WTG & ATG.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

5. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

I switch my products up often. This was a feather blade shave . Followed by witch hazel splash then Skin Bracer. All of which I use normally . I'm still letting it heal some . Irritation is gone but I'm going to let it grow a few more days before another shave

6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I think if you are determined to get to the bottom of this. I'd get a few maybe unconcidered factors nailed down.
    1) any changes in laundry products? Any contact with insulation, or other known skin irritants?
    2) what activities did you partake in the afternoon/ day after the shave that irritated you? Hot humid temps and physical activity (work, ie hard labor) can push a borderline irritation to a very painful one.
    3) how familiar are you with feathers? What blade combo before this one. Maybe coming from a milder setup to a super sharp combo led to complacency, resulting in over aggressiveness on your part.
    I had thought this was a reoccurring problem, your answers indicate you are looking to solve a one time flair up.

7. Hoss304

It's happened more than once in my shaving life. Starts as a terrible itchy razor burn . Oddly it's usually a few days after a shave . This case was a little extreme due to me scratching it . Hard not to when it's a itch that bad. The pic was taken after putting hydrocortisone cream on it. It was worse before . My blades have been changing often as I received a sample pack to try. I have used Feather before though. This was just a case of what I call my razor burn saga. All along my neck breaks out red and itches terribly

8. Hoss304

This is what led me to DE shaving. I was to the point of going all electric before trying DE. I've had some good shaves but generally every shave I have red splotchy razor burn on my neck . I've tried it all. Wtg only , mapping my growth patterns. It's not easy as you can see in pic. Hair pattern is a bit crazy on my neck. Wtg only takes major focus and time . I bought shave butter which is clear for wtg neck shaving. Easier to see the pattern

9. Hoss304

This pic in particular was at work where my uniform was rubbing it. I went for a scratch and it went wild from there. By the end of the shift / arriving home my neck was still super red and had welps .

10. Hoss304

Every shave for me is a end result of wondering how bad the next few days will be. That's be best I can explain it. THIS doesn't happen every shave but razor burn/ ingrown hairs does.

11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Well razor burn is directly related to your shave technique.
    Ingrowns as well.
    Other rashes and reactions can be a chemical allergy.
    But razor burn is directly caused by you. You've tried several so you can probably rule out a single type being culprit. (Are your shaves with bad reactions related in blade kinda way? A reaction to platinum or Teflon, or maybe good shaves with platinum and bad with regular stainless? )

If an element cannot be narrowed down, it must be technique.
    I'm guessing that you should find what works.
    Start with 1 razor, 1 blade, an unscented soap, and a very mild aftertreatment.
    Shave at a pace you need (one day, 2 days, weekdays no wes)
    Find one good experience, work from there. Two passes, very light.
    Due to the fact your irritant waits what seems like a long time before you react. It sounds chemical, ingrowns sound like a technique issue (a chemical shouldn't cause a ingrown hair, the way you cut stubble and angle of growth cause those). You may have more than one issue going on.
    Scratching an itchy rash almost never helps.
    Use the hydrocortisone or aloe with lidocaine to cool rashes.
    Pick an aggressive razor and do as few passes as possible.
    You issue(s) are not impossible to narrow down. The 30day treads are a easy way to freeze your elements and get running advice on changing out on product at a time, until you can get a reliable system going.

12. sebargan2313

sebargan2313 New Member

Long time shaver, first reply here. I understand you were using a feather blade, which should be fine depending on the razor. I have found that I have more neck issues with closed comb razors (especially certain ones). But open combs (Phoenix slant, Parker 26c, RR old type ) treat me well with no irritation. What razor are you using ? As some have mentioned. The razor and blade combo matters.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

13. Hoss304

I have 3 razors . This shave was with a Feather Popular. I also have a 50's Tech and a SuperSpeed.

14. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I think you are cursed.:) I have a similar problem sometimes - especially if I use a very sharp blade or have a more aggressive setting on one of my adjustable razors. I find that a good quality after shave balm such as Nivea works well to calm the skin. I also let my beard grow out for a couple days giving the skin time to heal before the next shave.

15. Hoss304

Last night's shave was a derby extra . The mildest blade I have . Here is day 1. This was a two pass shave with a touch up . Witch hazel splash , Nivea balm , old spice swagger aftershave . [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

16. Hoss304

I use a blade no more than 3 or 4 times. I have tried Derby , Astra , Voskhod, Lord, Barbedaux, Feather, Polisilver. Of the bunch I decided to order Voskhods. They seem to be best for my skin. I decided to revisit Derby last night for a mild shave . My lathers consist of cream, foam, soap. Barbasol cans Nivea sensitive gel. Nivea and Old Spice tube creams and various soaps including Viking and VanDerHagen. Aftershaves most used are Nivea Balm, Pinaud originial, Aqua Velva Musk , Skin Bracer and the newest purchase OS Swagger. My other products consist of witch hazel splash , alum block, styptic pen. I have Gillette gel and lotion aftershave but not much a fan.

17. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Wow. That hair appears to really lay flat on your neck, pointing back and up towards your jaw line. I would personally do _only_ WTG on it, but I can see how that might be difficult to do.

18. Triplemilled

Triplemilled Member

I use to have the exact same problem and until I actually mapped the hair and shave WTG only and added alcohol free witch hazel i the mix it didn't go away. Let the hair grow out for a few day and feel exactly which way it's growing and only shave that neck hair with the grain and see if that doesn't at least help the situation. Then witch hazel with aloe, I like the thayers cucumber kind it works wonders.