'Imperia la Roccia' Natural Sharpening Stone

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by HolyRollah, Aug 16, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I came across on ebay recently a vendor selling what was described as,
    "Imperia la Roccia 7 x 2-1/2 x 3/4 Natural Stone Sharpening Hone 10-12k Grit"
    The descriptive copy:
    "HUGE DISCOUNT JUST SO I CAN ACHIEVE TOP RATED PLUS STATUS. The greatest stone for sharpening! These natural honing stones have a grit of between 10,000 and 12,000 (closer to 12k). This is a fantastic finishing stone to be used just prior to stropping. Cuts VERY fast using a slurry. Final polish using clear water. Comes complete with slurry stone (not shown). Diamond honed then lapped on both sides. Measures: 7" x 2-1/2" x 3/4" Perfect for sharpening:
    RAZORS, SCISSORS, KNIVES, TOOLS, CHISSELS<sic>….AND MUCH MORE!!!

Now I tend to look at ad copy such as this with a wary eye, especially claims of 'the greatest stone for sharpening'—but maybe I was in a curious mood, or the price was too good to resist ($4.95 for the greatest stone ever!!!), so I placed an order for one.

It arrived today ($9.95 for shipping….but it is a heavy package), and inside a USPS express box was a the stone, carefully and tightly wrapped in bubble wrap and inside that, brown paper. Along side in another smaller tightly-wrapped package was the slurry stone. Upon opening the larger package, I found the GSFS ('greatest stone for sharpening') to look quite similar to the C12k stone I've been using as a finisher. All edges of the stone were beveled on both sides and both surfaces appeared to have carefully finished, with a smooth, uniform surface with a slight grain visible (see 2nd photo below).

Out of the package: the GSFS and slurry stone: beveled up.. Below right in the image is my Chinese 12k.
    [​IMG]

Up close at the surface of the GSFS….
    [​IMG]

Water applied…
    [​IMG]

A milky slurry developed quite quickly on the GSFS using the supplied slurry stone.
    [​IMG]

A test run: before using this stone on the razor, I lapped it first with my DMT.
    The surface is quite smooth, and to the naked touch, feels and look very similar to the C12. I imagine the GSFS will perform very similar to the C12k—which means its a slow cutter & finisher. But for the low cost of entry ($15 delivered), I figured I could add another stone to the collection. I'm not ready to make recommendations on this stone yet but with more use, I'll have a better sense where this stone's capability falls.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

In my hunt for a finishing (refreshing) stone, I've probably come across this on ebay. I've all but talked myself out of any natural or mystery stone for now, but I'd like to know your opining on this stone once you get more use out of it.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Sure, Ty. I don't have a lot invested in this, but if it proves itself to be a reasonable finisher along the lines of the C12k, no harm, no foul.
    At the very least, I have a new stone for sharpening tools…..:)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  4. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

Interesting...*rubs chin*

5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Looks a bit like a Belgian Blue Wetstone. (BBW).

Bristle Me likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I had the same thought on the similarities when I first opened the package…

BBW….(4k)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

178-bplatoon and PatrickA51 like this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Yeah, but now I'm thinking: 12K? Didn't know they came that smooth...

PatrickA51 likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm a bit dubious about some of the claims put out there on many of these natural stones—especially when they're priced ridiculously low.
    Most BBW are supposedly in the 4k range; the Chinese 12k is often listed as "12k"—but who really knows for sure?
    Since I have 4k, 8k & "12k"—I'll do some comparisons with this new stone and see what happens….

Billyfergie, PatrickA51 and macaronus like this.
  9. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

You received that stone for a real song. It almost looks like a newwer grey Thuri, but has some of the same characteristics of a Chinease stone.
    One thing for sure is that it is a natural stone and if it works well, then it is in the "win column"

PatrickA51 and HolyRollah like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

For $4.95 + shipping, Joe, you're right. I look forward to doing some tests with it.
    I see the seller has them now for $39.95 each + $10 shipping.

Billyfergie and PatrickA51 like this.
  11. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

When I look at the picture I start hearing the music from 2001! Hey is that HAL?:shocked003:

macaronus and PatrickA51 like this.
  12. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

In coloration, the 'mystery' stone resembles some of the Nortons, but the grey Nortons tend to be quite coarse (low grit), and the dimensions are off (6 x 1 x 2)…

Here's the stone after I lapped it a few times with the DMT….
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have a couple of straights destined for the honing table in the next few days. I'll post my thoughts as I incorporate the imperia stone as a finisher. I'll see how the edges compare to the C12k.
    Question: Do you know the source for these stones? It certainly resembles the Chinese water stones from the Guangxi region, but others have stated the resemblance to the Belgian blues.

15. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Definitely worth a try at that price. :)

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Okay, today I had the opportunity to try out my new Imperia La Roccia stone. I had two razors in need of honing: a Wade & Butcher 5/8 Bow razor, and a recently-finished Rodgers & Sons 7/8 faux frame back. Both we're duller than dishwater and so I set the bevel edge first on both.
    1. Setting the bevel — Naniwa 1000 Super stone
    2. Sharpening — Norton 4ooo > Norton 8000
    Both razors were near 'shave ready' at this point with my test arm hair popping off near the base all across the edges of both razors. I don't do a HHT as I've yet to be able to do it consistently—even with the sharpest of blades—so I don't bother. Thumb pad test: 'sticky' all across the edges of both razors. I don't do the thumb nail test either as I'm one of those people that are 'sensitive' and absolutely find it unpleasant to do (kind of as 'nails on chalkboards' make some uncomfortable).

Finishing — I wanted to try the Imperia with slurry so I used the supplied slurry stone to generate a substantial milky film atop there stone…

[​IMG]

The Wade & Butcher - approximately 35 lapping & 35 x-strokes. The Imperia doesn't 'feel' as smooth as either the C12k or the norton 8k for that matter. Now granted, I used quite a bit of slurry with the Imperia and I tend to use light water (no slurry) on those other 2 stones.
    [​IMG]
    Results: Edge quite 'sticky' to the touch.

Next: I wanted to try the Imperia sáns slurry, but first I wished to smooth the face of the stone. I used 600>800>1k>1.5k>2k grit wet/dry sandpaper to smooth the finish on the stone.
    To the touch, the stone now felt as smooth as glass.
    Post wet/dry sandpaper treatment:
    [​IMG]

The Rodgers faux frameback: no slurry on this finisher; dry. No water. 50 laps; 50 x-strokes. Glassy-smooth surface with no resistance—just a subtle 'cutting' sound as the blade crossed the stone.
    [​IMG]

Results: I'm not through with my evaluations on this stone, but initially, it does appear to do a fine job as a finisher with being similar to the Chinese 12k.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  17. bigeasy1

bigeasy1 New Member

Kindof new here. Felt a need to add to the thread. I have used the above mentioned stone a great deal. Although I realize that it is not the normally used method, it is very easy to go from very light finishing strokes on 1K to high polish on this stone, using a slurry, in very short order. I get my finest edge with clear water, and gradually lighter handed strokes. I always start with a slurry, as I believe building the slurry helps to prevent the stone from becoming too glassy and cuts down on the need to lap. Hope this helps someone. Oh, skipping the mid range stones, means ALL imperfections need to be gone before leaving the 1K. Chancing my credibility here, I cut paper. Shhhh, one type of test from beginning to end (couple cuts before beginning on a previously shaving razor), and plenty of confetti for your next party. Take the time to learn it and it will serve you well. Use 5x8 note pads for an endless supply of very consistent test material. My paper picks up chips long after your eyeball and thumbnail have lost them, and will find a feather edge instantly.

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Hi Bigeasy, & welcome!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Imperia. I'm not ready to do an all 'one-stone hone' with it yet, but I am curious to see how well it performs as a finisher.

If you the chance, please introduce yourself in the Newbie forum. this provides a great opportunity for other members to get to know you.

19. bigeasy1

bigeasy1 New Member

Thanks for the welcome,
    First realized I could cut out a stone or two with the Welsh Dragons Tongue, thought to be about 8K. Found it to be a very fast polisher with slurry, and pretty nice edge with clear water. Also found I could extend the edge to a little finer by ending with very light strokes. I started ending other stones with very light strokes, especially the 1K waterstone, and found that I was already ahead of the game when I got to the next stone. When I first tried the Imperia, it polished almost as quickly as the DT, but it's range on the finishing was much nicer. I do the bulk of the work with circles, and finish each series with a dozen or so x's and then test.

Posted in the newbie forum, but afraid I didn't leave much. Maybe get a question or two for a little conversation.
    Thanks again for the welcome, hope I can contribute.

Hillbilly79, Keithmax and sbogill like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Okay—I've had the opportunity to use this stone in a variety of ways on a number of razors (German and English steel); along with the Chinese 12k (a side-by-side evaluation, if you will). I took similar razors, dulled the edges, set bevels & sharpened up to 8k, and then took each to the finishers: one to the Italia; one to the C12k. A total of six razors used —with heavy slurry, slight slurry, and finished with just water.

Bottom line: I truly cannot detect any perceivable difference between the razors off the 'Italia Rocca' or the Chinese 12. Both cutting in similar fashion, requiring a significant number of laps, and more importantly, both stones feel identical (the tactile feedback of the grit) on all the lapping strokes.
    If I were blind-folded (not recommended while honing :D), I guarantee I couldn't say which stone was which, they are that similar. You'd almost think they were from the same quarry. :eek:
    The final edges off both stones were both quite sharp (popping arm hairs), so either will provide a decent shave. For me, I now have essentially two virtually identical fairly-slow cutting finishers I'd rate about the same as an 8k synthetic.
    Since acquiring an Escher—which has a vastly different silky 'feel' than either of these stones, I don't foresee either of these other naturals getting as much use as I originally anticipated.

Keithmax likes this.