Importing soaps to UK

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Flatfish, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

Have any UK members out there tried importing soaps from the USA to the UK? :sad029There are a few soaps I would like to try some day such as TSD and Mama Bear but I wonder how much they would cost once all the shipping and any customs duty has been paid. Any ideas on total cost?
    Any advice gratefully received.
    Kristian

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Hi Flatfish,

I'm from Austria, but the import-principles are the same. There's a customs-limit. Everything unter 22€ (I think it's 18 quid in the UK)[meant is the price of the products excluding the shipping costs] is allright - everything over that sum is subject to import-fees, which consist mostly of the normal VAT. These fees are payable to the postman upon delivery.

Total cost varies of course. It depends on how much you buy, how expensive shipping is, if you're over or unter the customs limit etc.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I've sent quite a bit of soaps and creams internationally.

If you wish to buy soaps or creams from TSD store, but don't want to pay the high price of International Priority, I am willing to ship USPS First Class International.

The thing is I can't set up that option within the store's software, but I can refund the difference.

You just have to let me know.

4. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

In Sweden it seems like a gamble, sometimes the customs charge VAT and tax (if applicable), sometimes they don't. I guess they take a trolley or two every day and go through, I doubt they can screen every single shipment and parcel.

Shipping costs can be somewhat pricey (mostly depending on size it seems), but with the current dollar rate it's not a major issue IMHO. ;)

5. bjrn

bjrn New Member

Most things that doesn't look "corporate" seem to go through the Dutch customs most of the time.