In Honor of our Fathers

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Shawna, Jun 15, 2012.

1. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I know this is somewhat of an old post but just wanted to say your story really touched my heart. I'm lucky and still have both my mother and father and after this story I will be going to see them tomorrow. Beautiful story, just beautiful.

Shawna likes this.
  2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Shawna, thanks for sharing that. Men aren't supposed to cry, but I teared up while reading that. They were partly tears of joy for you, and the relationship you had with your dad, for the life he lived, and your appreciation for him; and a few tears as I remembered my own dad, who also was raised during the Great Depression (which shaped how he lived his life, which in turn partially shaped my life) and also fought in WWII. He would talk often about life in the Army, about going overseas in the Pacific, but never talked much about actual combat. I remember him telling about being home on furlough the weekend of Pearl Harbor, and when he left by train from Heflin, Alabama headed back to his base, he stood on the back of the train and thought he would never see home again. Incidentally, my birthday is December 7, Pearl Harbor day.

Shawna likes this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

What an "ABSOUTELY" wonderful article!!! I never knew my dad he died(A long time ago) of lung cancer when I was 4. I like to think I'd have had the same relationship with him a you and your dad....:) Thank you......

Shawna likes this.
  4. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

The world could use a few more Dad's like him, sounds like a great man!

Shawna likes this.