In praise of the Super Speed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by '65 G-Slim, Apr 8, 2017.

1. jar

jar Well-Known Member

The last Gillette I bought was like your '73 Black Handle. I need to drop a blade in it again. Maybe next week! IIRC the price was $1.95 or $2.95 with 10 blades.

Fluffyskiador, ninjack and Jim99 like this.
  2. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I have many vintage razors but the venerable Super Speed still has a special space in my heart. It was my first vintage purchase and still maintains a place in my permanent rotation. Also gives me one hell of a good shave too! 1947 SuperSpeed.JPG

3. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Me too but some times shiny and black just look great together such as:
    IMG_1496.JPG

gorgo2, Roderick, ninjack and 3 others like this.
  4. Garrideb

Garrideb New Member

I learned on a Super Speed when I was a kid in 1967.....wish I still had it. After awhile I was seduced by the electrics. Now, I'm back to shaving like a Man again. Got a 1949 SS and a Tech. For old times sake I'll have to track down a '67 SS. Maybe get an Old Type and a New Type, too. Wsih you hadn't posted this as now I have to hunt ebay for a '67 SS..... :)

Hugh

Jim99 likes this.
  5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

1967 is the "M" Date code :) So, for January, 1967, you'd want an M-1.

Garrideb likes this.
  6. Garrideb

Garrideb New Member

Thanks, bookworm.
    Been looking at pictures of the SS of the 60's and find that I don't remember the flare handle. In fact, my memory tells me that my old razor would be of the early 50's period - just like the one I have which I believe is a '49. I don't remember but my father must have given it to me.....a cast off of his; which makes me wish I had it even more! Why do we toss out what's old for the glitter of the new...only to later wish we had the old back again?
    My old SS shaves great; I'll have to think of it now as the same as what I first used.
    Thanks again.

7. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I had a '67 SS, Blue with a white nose cone, 327, 4 on the floor. Definitely a Super Speed. But no AC and I moved to Phoenix and ...

AGHisBBS likes this.
  8. Garrideb

Garrideb New Member

Jar,
    There were lots of '66 and '67 SS around long ago. Great with the 327 could leave a patch from here to Phoenix, too. A guy in my HS class had one which was the envy of the civilized world. Blue with white vinyl. Later I worked at a tire store and one of the mechanics had one, also blue, - he'd accidentally spill some waste oil in the parking lot and then do a truly SS burnout with clouds of smoke. Ah! Those were the days. Thanks for the memories!
    Hugh

AGHisBBS likes this.
  9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

So, I've restarted my blade Focus for my '52 Super Speed Black Tip. Shark Super Chrome is up this week. I was doing a GEM Featherweight blade Focus but had to take a time out waiting for some blades to show up.
    After the Shark's, I'm going right to the Voskhod.
    The Black Tip is giving great shaves and will be in my rotation, dislodging my EJ DE89bl. Or maybe I'll just have a five razor rotation. Six if the Featherweight works out. Great dilemma to have huh!

Jim99 likes this.
  10. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

I haven't tried a super speed yet, but have a black handled 74' I bought off of ebay coming. I can't wait to try it, I have been wanting one for a while. I like a mild to medium aggressiveness in a razor (leaning toward the mild). I was able to win a new old stock sill in package with two Gillette Platinum Plus blades.
    super speed-1.jpg

gorgo2, Roderick, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  11. RetLEO-07

Nice!

ninjack likes this.
  12. ninjack

Thanks! I can't wait to get it and try it! It may become my daily shaver.

Jim99 likes this.
  13. RetLEO-07

IMG_0306.JPG
    I'm starting to feel that way about my '52 Black Tip!

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    My 1947 SS was in great form this morning!

AGHisBBS, RetLEO-07 and ninjack like this.
  15. RetLEO-07

Good to hear. What blade are you using?

16. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

very cool good luck with that one I was watching that too. how cool its new / old. so no issues with having to sterilize it. keep us posted on it when you get it.

ninjack likes this.
  17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Today, I used a Feather. (3rd shave)

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  18. ninjack

Thanks, Rhody! I will. I had been looking for one in great shape, but most I had seen looked a little rough in some places. I was happy to find a NOS one. Kinda hate to take it out of the package, but I got it to use it so I'll do just that.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  19. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Let us know how the plating looks. Amazing its been in the packaging since 1974. Enjoy it

ninjack likes this.
  20. ninjack

I will. I'll take some pictures and post them out of the package when I get it.

AGHisBBS likes this.