In praise of the Super Speed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by '65 G-Slim, Apr 8, 2017.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I am giving very serious consideration to making my Black Tip my daily-daily. Great shave with a growth, outstanding shaves during the week on stubble. I love my NEW SC, it was my first fleamarket find and clean up project, but this Black Tip is great. I may even 86 the plan to try and find a Red Tip.

gorgo2, crackstar, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  2. RetLEO-07

Next blade up for my '52 Black Tip is Voskhod. The Shark Super Chrome did so well I was almost tempted to leave it at that. But the Cartel has spies everywhere.

Jim99 likes this.
  3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I'm going to look around for another Super Speed. Possibly a Black Tip.

4. RetLEO-07

When I found it, I was like "do I really need another vintage razor?"
    Glad I bought it. I'm thinking that because it's a "mild" razor the more aggressive blades are muted. At this point I don't really care, it shaves great.

gorgo2, ninjack and crackstar like this.
  5. RetLEO-07

Okay, second shave with the Black Tip/Voskhod combo. The difference between the Shark Super Chrome and the Voskie is pardon the pun, razor thin. Since I'm pretty sure the DE89BL has been knocked out of the rotation the Black Tip will more than likely take over the Sharks.

AGHisBBS and crackstar like this.
  6. RetLEO-07

The 1952 Super Speed Black Tip that I found at the fleamarket was my most expensive find at $10. At the time I thought I overpaid. I was so happy I found it, I didn't even haggle.
    But after three shaves, it was money well spent.
    It is probably in a tie with my NEW SC as my number 1 razor. My SA-109 is third and the GEM Featherweight is TBD.

Jim99 and ninjack like this.
  7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

It's hard to go wrong with a SuperSpeed. About the only complaint anyone has is having to do multiple passes if the hair is long.

crackstar, Jim99 and ninjack like this.
  8. wasson

wasson New Member

My birth year razor is a Super Speed. It is currently my profile picture. I like it!

Jim99 and ninjack like this.
  9. RetLEO-07

So my blade Focus for my '52 Black Tip is coming to an end. One more shave tomorrow with the Voskhod and it will join my rotation with either the Voskie or the Shark loaded. The difference between the two was so small that I plan on alternating blades as the spirit moves me.

crackstar likes this.
  10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My Super Speed may be from the early 50's.

11. MaineYooper

MaineYooper Well-Known Member

I got my first Super-Speed in March of 2016. I liked it, but my technique was still being learned and I thought it was too mild for me. I revisited the razor later and loved it! So I had it refinished by Jay at Delta Echo Razor Works in his Steampunk theme. (Side note: I love the look of black chrome and copper, and over the next 12 months had several razors refinished in that color scheme!)

steampunk.jpg