India Old Spice Shave Cream in my old mug?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Tim Spencer, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

sdguero, Blangaz1 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

That's an interesting idea.

I haven't heard of anyone drying a cream to the consistency of a soap.

I'll be curious regarding the response.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. Tim Spencer

Yeah. I want to use my mug with my modern Proctor & Gamble Old Spice set, but I want the real deal. IMO, no imitator soap can duplicate Old Spice correctly. Not even the Proctor & Gamble reformulation version. And I enjoy both the original Shulton and the modern P&G reformulation. They are both great scents.

BTW, I emailed Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements asking if they know of any Old Spice BURLEY original soap, and they said no, but they said they are 'considering' making a Burley version! I hope like hell PAA makes a Burley dupe! I have bought the vintage Burley soap on a rope, aftershave, talc and cologne. But I could not source a shave soap of the Burley scent. I would love PAA to make an attempt at a dupe.

sdguero, Blangaz1, Jorvaljr and 2 others like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I guess it would depend on it's water content. If it's up there, it probably won't have much left when dried.

Yehuda D and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Squirt it in there and give it a try.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. Triplemilled

Triplemilled Member

It will probably form a skin over the top few layers and the middle will stay soft.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Try it out and report back, it's an interesting idea.

8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Why don't you just by some vintage soap? I don't want to sound rude, but as much money as you spend on your shaving sets, you can find original old spice shaving soap easily on eBay.

9. John Beeman

It might dry faster if you spread it thin over a large area. I'm thinking maybe a spatula and a cookie sheet or a large piece of wax paper. Put it out in the sun or near a window. Then scrape it up and mush it together? Just an idea...

I've tried "scenting" unscented soaps with aftershave/cologne with limited success. I've also got three or four vintage pucks of OS soap but the scent has most likely faded from its original strength. I'm guessing about that though since I never purchased an OS puck when they were still on the market.

Jorvaljr and RyX like this.
  10. Blangaz1

Blangaz1 New Member

Hi Tim, Burley Old Spice is my all time favourite scent and I've emailed the India site requesting they re release it. The closest scent I've found to it is Clubman Special Reserve.

Cheers,
    Martin.

Tim Spencer and RyX like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Now you've got my attention!I didn't know there was hope for a Pinaud S.R. scented soap. I've not found OS Burley AS in the wild so I just didn't know.

12. John Beeman

@Tim Spencer

I don’t know if you ever tried to dry out any OS cream but I recently got to rummaging around in one of my cabinets and found a tube of Coates Tea Tree cream that I had taped the top shut on after it had cracked and wouldn’t seal properly. I tried to squirt some out but the end of the tube was dried up so I cut it in half and discovered that the product that remained was dry and hard. Long story short, I scooped it out, mashed it into the bottom of a bowl and I’ve been using it like a soap.
    Coates creams are pretty small tubes and there wasn’t a lot left but it’s working quite nicely so you might be able to dry out some OS cream.

jeraldgordon and RyX like this.
  13. Tim Spencer

I only have a limited amount of the current Village Soap Smith shave soap remaining. When it's gone I will be squeezing the Indian Old Spice shaving soap cream into my Old Spice mug for drying. I will eventually post a picture and update this thread when it's all dried and ready to start testing.

14. Tim Spencer

Good man for writing India Old Spice on this request! I never thought of doing that!

RyX likes this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I've noticed that some tub creams dessicate into hard soaps over time. I had a tub of ABC which I rarely used becuse of the price, and it pretty much became a hard soap. Most soaps are cured, which means that they're dried and aged, how much drying determines what it is; Martin de Camdre is reportedly cured 6 months and it's a relatively hard croap. Creams generally have more preservatives in them because they have more water, so letting them dry isn't an issue.

Cheers, Steve

RyX likes this.
  16. Tim Spencer

Ahem,

I have finally finished off the The Village Soapsmith Old Spice type shave soap. I have now begun this experiment and just squeezed a tube of India Old Spice Original Scent shave cream soap into the classic Shulton mug. FINALLY putting the real Old Spice product into it instead of some knock off product (however, the scent of The Village Soapsmith Old Spice type was really, really good, but the soap's lather was terrible despite having good slickness).

The experiment has begun! I will now dry out this shave cream in the Shulton Mug and later attempt to use it like a shave soap. I will provide a new report in several weeks when the drying is done with pictures of the dry soap and lather quality. The soap ingredients indicate this is vegetal-based. No tallow. Which, for me personally, is a good thing. I have occasional skin reactions with tallow-based soap. Seems like it would take 2 tubes of this cream to fill a mug. We'll see how much it shrinks when it dries out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Experiments like this is why I keep coming.

sdguero and RyX like this.
  18. Tim Spencer

The cream is getting harder. Everyday I was pushing on the dryer top layer to expose the damp cream. Eventually it all congealed into a Taffy-like substance. It doesn't stretch like Taffy but just kind of feels like it when I poke at it.

This Sunday I will try using it and do a short soak of water while brushing my teeth and hopefully it suds up without wasting any and preserving the performance. We'll see.

RyX likes this.
  19. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I think there are chemicals in the cream that will keep it from hardening like soap. That said I know some creams after a long while can act like very soft soap. IDK

20. Tim Spencer

[​IMG]

Here's what it looks like now. I think it's going to work just fine when I soak a little water on top for a few minutes while I brush my teeth tomorrow morning after my shower. I think it might help it last longer and have less waste by being dried. We'll see.

RyX likes this.