Inexpensive Straights, Hones, Strops, etc. for Beginners.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Redfisher and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

So I went ahead and ordered the 15,12, 9, 5, 3, and 1 mike 3m with no stickey stuff. Also a small mirror to use for a backing. I'm ready to get started when it gets here.

Billyfergie, Karl G and Linuxguile like this.
  3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to go in and look for the 5 as they didn't have any when I got mine. If you have a link handy from your Orders file would you mind sending it to me? :thanks:

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

For those who don't follow the thread "What Straight Razor Did You Use Today", I posted the results I had on one of the least expensive modern razors made. The Gold Dollar 300 Razor. This can be had for under $10, New. For fun, I just bought a Gold Dollar 66 for $4.15, free shipping, to play around with. The Gold Dollar razors are a great buy, and can take a very nice edge. Great for those starting out.

Marverel and Billyfergie like this.
  6. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Gold Dollars Get Knocked in Some Forums..Never Seen it here Mind...They are Great Shavers when Sorted Out..Great Way to Start Out as Well for a Beginner with a Proper Shave Ready One..I Learned on One..:D

Billy..:chores016:

Marverel likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I picked up a lovely vintage Sheffield razor off eBay today for the buy-it now price of....$16. :happy088:
    Needs a little clean-up and a good honing, but there are some gems out there IF you know what to look for— and more importantly, know what to avoid.
    Now I don't necessarily recommend eBay as the source for SR newcomers to shop as unfortunately much of what you find there is not worth the asking price posted.

8. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I Just Won this the other Day on USA EBay for £18.00 English..Its an Old Rare Factory Fresh NOS El Kourie Crown Made in Germany.. Just about Stole it..:happy097:

9. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

Soooo I think I'm using the wrong stuff also. Am I doing this completely wrong? It makes a nice sharp edge... This is way more complex than sharpening stones back in boy scouts. :signs081:
    2016-09-20 21.04.52.jpg

barbersurgeon and Billyfergie like this.
  10. DaltonGang

Billy, you have a very nice collection of beautiful razors, but a lot of what is available to you is not available to me, in the USA.
    EBay UK does have some great deals, and I've bought some nice razors over the years through that site. Unfortunately not a lot of their sellers ship to the USA, and many that do will overcharge for shipping. Not all, but many do this. I still ask though. Many times I've have seen some very nice rare razors go for little(probably to an unnamed Scottish Ninja), as I'm unable to bid. I got use to it a while back. EBay Fr is the same, but many of their straights are a little more ragged.

Billyfergie likes this.
  11. Billyfergie

:thanks:It Works Both Ways..This One was on USA EBay & a Friend Done the Honours for Me from the USA to get it for Me as the Seller Didn't Post to the UK..I have Only Ever Bought a Handful of SRs from the UK the Rest have been Imported by Various Worldwide International Sellers..:)

There are Actually Few SRs in Good Condition in Europe Overall Due to the 1st & 2nd World Wars being Fought on their Soil..A Lot of them have been Destroyed or Looted by Troops..;)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    DaltonGang likes this.
  12. Billyfergie

Yeah..That's Light Polishing Paper for Metals...Its NOT Lapping Film..A Few Folks have Gotten this by Mistake Unfortunately that Don't Know What Lapping Film Looks Like..Its Useless for Honing SRs..Lapping Film is Easy to Use & a Leap Forward in Modern Synthetic Hones..:)

DaltonGang and twhite like this.
  13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hopefully you can return that stuff, or use it to restore razors to polish out any blemishes and the like. If you check out my link above you can get a full 6 grit assortment for less then $8 shipped. $1 a sheet with combined shipping makes it very economical.

Billyfergie likes this.
  14. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

Thank you for the quick reply. I guess I was setting the bevel on my wet stones and then just polishing the crap out of the edge after that. It definitely cuts hair so I'm excited to see how much sharper the lapping film actually makes it. The polishing paper removed a lot of metal off the blade and sharpened it up nicely... Definitely a better shave than they would have had a few 100 years ago.

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Update on my Welsh Slate stones. Since I've been using them on many razors, and basically learning to hone with these, I've nothing but praise for these stones. Yesterday I added Chromium Oxide into my honing, onto a strop, and this has taken the blades to a dangerously sharp level. That's a good thing. Back to the slates. They are big heavy, and very easy to use, once you get the feel for them.
    I know that using lapping film is the least expensive way to hone blades, but I started down the stone route, and wanted to go inexpensive natural stones.

Keithmax, mrchick, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  16. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

I recently, last week, added an LI. Roccia honing stone. Diamond plate lapped on one side. I can't wait to see how much I like it over the synthetic 3000/8000, or if I end up using them together. As of now I use a paddle strop with paste for the final hone prior to plain leather stroping pre-shave.

The LI Roccia stone was $40 delivered. A very good price. I also snagged a very good Genco straight, master barber, off the Bay for $15. Great blade and the scales were also well maintained. Sometimes you get lucky. I've had my fair share of disappointing auctions too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Jim99 and Billyfergie like this.
  17. DaltonGang

Excellent buys. Any pics of the newly acquired items??

champagneinhand and Billyfergie like this.
  18. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

I will try and snap a few shots tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

My first straight was a Gold Dollar 800, modified and honed by a guy in the UK who obviously knows his trade. Apart from the pretty cheap plastic scales it's a fine razor and I still enjoy using it.

20. DaltonGang

Just an Addition. It's a Gold Dollar 66, purchased for $4.15 + free shipping. If you are handy These are excellent razors for beginners, or those on a tight budget. Or those, like me, just wanting something to do, and something to prove. The Gold Dollars are made of very good steel. They are thick, heavy, and for the most part straight.
    I honed it up nicely, with a 1k, 3k-8k, 8k 12k 15k Welsh stones. Very very sharp. Popping hairs easily.
    Excellent razor for those on a budget.

PA150398.JPG

Jim99, Keithmax, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.