Info on an English tech?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dan_x, Jun 13, 2016.

1. dan_x

dan_x Active Member

Hi brains trust! I picked up this little English tech along with a few others and it has me confused. The handle looks like the sportsman tech aluminum one, however this one is nickel plated brass. I can't seem to find much info on mr razors site regarding this one. I'm not sure if it's a mismatched head as well or if it is correct. Stamped Gillette made in England on the back and the top cap has the etched Gillette on it without the diamond surrounding.
    image.jpeg

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sorry, no idea. But I do like the looks of it. Nice score!

3. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

It's a 1967 British Sportman Tech. A very nice little razor with some heft due to the heavier full brass handle vs the normal alumium. I find mine slighly more agressive - like most Brit Gillette's. As you noted your Tech (like mine) has the "Gillette" marking on the head w/out the diamond. This type of marking on the tech's seems to be somewhat uncommon from what I've been able to see reviewing numerious pics. I've also looked high and low for additional info but the only info I could find is on the site below. Great pick up.

AGHisBBS and dan_x like this.
  4. dan_x

dan_x Active Member

Thanks so much for the info! That has helped a lot.
    I couldn't quite date it as the handle screams 60s sportsman, but the head design seemed earlier, I almost put it down to a frankenrazor!
    I figured it's an uncommon razor as I too can't find much at all out there about it. I picked up some blades today so I'll give it a run in the morning.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That head design was used until 1964.

dan_x and AGHisBBS like this.
  6. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Gillette razor "Tech Sportsman Razor" 1967 Made in England

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's another one that I found on ETSY also advertised as a 1967. Notice the head one this one has the Diamond etching. There are a few of out there I've seen for sale but mostly with an alumium handle, with either the Diamond etching and/or an imprinted "Gillette" on the head. Including your's and mine, I've only seen one other with the "Gillette" only etching but it had the light handle. Anyway still a nice little shaver. I pull mine out 4-5 times a year and use it. It's a keeper for me as it's part of my British collection of razors.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    brit and Robyflexx like this.
  7. dan_x

dan_x Active Member

So just pure speculation here, perhaps this razor was a precursor to the aluminum handle one? With the older head design and brass handle it was deemed to expensive to continue production, so then became the aluminum and zamak we all know, which I'm sure should have been cheaper to produce?

8. brit

brit in a box

just purchased one just like this on ebay,not sure what the handle is made of.gary

9. brit

brit in a box

just received sportsman tech ,has early head like above and brass handle. quite heavy for a tech,awesome shape.