Injector Blades - Which are the Sharpest?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jeraldgordon, Mar 3, 2018.

1. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Question for you brothers of the blade - who makes the sharpest injector blade? I haven’t used an injector in 6-7 years, but I’d like to be able to. Pulled out one of my Schick razors today, loaded a Chinese Schick blade, and had a decent enough result - but there is tugging and general discomfort. I’ve used German Schick blades in the past, and they were far worse. (are those still made?)

As I say, the shave results were fine. But the shave itself was not enjoyable at all. So, can anybody tell me what other options may exist? With DE razors I mostly use Feathers or Polsilvers. The least sharp I can use are Personna Labs. Anything else I have tried just isn’t sharp enough.

Hoping someone has a good suggestion!

:shaver

2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The only other options are Personna in their various guises (Ted Pella, mini hair shapers, same blade), Japanese Schick, including twin blades (expensive), or Dorco. Or if you can hand load Kai or Feather AC blades trimmed to size, with Feather Professional Super being the sharpest. A lot of folks swear by the Japanese twins in the non Hydromagic H through O models. I can't swear to it but I think the German Schick went out of production a few years ago in favor of the Chinese.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    jeraldgordon, gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Schick Proline blade. I find them sharper than Chick blades. Personnas are sharper than Chick blades to me as well.

[​IMG]

4. jeraldgordon

Thanks guys! I will ponder on this.

5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’ve only used the Chicks and the Personna blades. I find the Personna blades a bit sharper and more affordable.

jeraldgordon, PLAla and Zykris like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am gonna jump off the bridge. If you got tugging from that blade load another. Those are sharp blades that should work veddy well. I use personna blades. I stocked up when a couple of drug/discount stores were stopping selling them. I had a nice shave today from a E2 and personna blade.

Zykris, RyX and jeraldgordon like this.
  7. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

I feel very similarly, the more seat-time (razor-time?) I get.

Blades just don't matter nearly as much as everyone likes to give them credit for. Fun for keyboard jockeying, but more often than naught a moot point. A fresh, sharp blade will give good results if paired with proper technique.

CVS carbon SE blades give me equal results, if not better at times, than the oft-praised Gem SS PTFE. And I own more SS blades than carbon. If my technique is on, blade choice becomes almost immaterial.

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Veddy well put!! That is what I preach often. If would like to try some of the personna blades let me know. I can make that happen.

9. jeraldgordon

Appreciate your thoughts gentlemen - very much! However, it isn’t always so... I have an extremely tough, wirey beard, that grows in every which direction, and requires 4 passes just to get a DFS. A BBS is very nearly impossible. Sharp most definitely matters! If your beard is wirey enough you immediately feel the difference between blades...

Outside of the blades I mention, tugging and “scraping” the whiskers off occurs, at least to some degree. That is after excellent prep, top of the line lather, and using excellent technique honed over many years.

I will try the Personna’s! I hope to get a blade that allows me to use the injectors I own, and enjoy them. As I said - I got a good shave today - a DFS. But it wasn’t very enjoyable. We shall see.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've used both Personna and Schick blades. Personna blades seem the sharpest and smoothest to me.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I've only tried China Schick. No complaints from me.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If the blade is sharp and the razor not damaged it is not an equipment problem. Blade hopping will not help. I say try another blade. Maybe you dinged it up loading it. The Schicks are as sharp as anything. My beard is far from soft, specially on a day or two growth. Those blades work great.

Zykris likes this.
  13. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

By the sound of things we have similar types of beard. I am now using the Schick Proline Type B -AC blade,which fits into Injectors without trimming. They come in a keyless Dispenser so need to be cross loaded into a host keyed Dispenser.

They come in a 20 blade Dispenser and work out quite cheaply if you import them yourself from Japan.

IMG_1348.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  14. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I've not had a problem with Chinese Schick blades. I have only tried two types of injector blades. One being the Chinese Schick, the other was Ted Pella blades. I find them a bit sharper and smoother. But I agree if the technique is good, the Schicks should be just fine. I have pretty thick, dense facial hair and it cuts pretty well without tugging.

clint64 and jeraldgordon like this.
  15. jeraldgordon

That’s 2 votes for the Schick Proline as the sharpest thing out there. I will definitely give these a try as well! You mention importing them directly from Japan - what’s the best way to do that?

clint64 and PLAla like this.
  16. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in hearing comments on blade longevity. I picked up a cheap injector to play with once a week. I get very comfortable sufficient shaves. I like the more rigid feel. Thanks

clint64, jeraldgordon and PLAla like this.
  17. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Sold by Rakuten.
    1.Google Chic babies B-20 and you get the Site
    2 You need to register as member-no cost
    3. You must Specify Small Packet post, otherwise too expensive

You do not pay till they have quoted price with shipping, I get mine within 10days .
    Hope this helps-Mike B.

18. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

You can also get them from Andrew’s Shave Shop on Etsy, run by member @Linuxguile.

19. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Good option for those in USA, a good price too. Probably not such a viable option for us in UK with postage on top.

clint64, Linuxguile and PLAla like this.
  20. jeraldgordon