Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Both of you all's auto-strops' handles look alot like your 1909...are they of a similar vintage?

clint64 likes this.
  2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yes they are. My A1 is a British model. Patent dates 1904 and 1907.

My ER 1909 (my all time favorite razor by the way) the handle has a blade holder for Stropping in the handle.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I think the early SE’s style was the thin hollow handles. I don’t know who copied who. Cool handles none the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Bird Lives

Very
    very cool... These are the kind of special works of Functional Art That help make this shaving hobby so important! Keeping these masterpieces alive!! and doing what they were created to do... Enrich our lives!

clint64 and twhite like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Vintage Williams and British Stirling...me likey!!

twhite likes this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Mine look to have a 04 and one other date...also says other pats pending.

clint64 likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Got a pic.
    [​IMG]

7. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Sun 17th June

RazoRock Syn 22mm
    Cyril Salter Solid Soap
    Schick Type F
    Schick S/S single- Japan [ 11]
    Pitralon Classic A/S lotion

So nice and ultra smooth this could be a regular on a Sunday Morning for me. I was in luck when I got this Razor.

IMG_0412.jpg

Jorvaljr, Linuxguile, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  8. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

Hi, maybe you can help as @Bird Lives seems to have missed (or ignored) my question.
    Is the Floating head like a pivot i.e. does it require pressure to work?
    Cheers,
    Kevin.

clint64 and Bird Lives like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    SE Sunday's Shave
    [​IMG]

Proraso Pre Shave
    Arko Extra Performance
    Jayaruh #291
    Gem 1907 Lather Catcher
    Original Gem Cutlery SE
    CWR
    Thayer's Peach WH
    Lucky Tiger

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The Arko Extra Performance Shaving Cream face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #291 Synthetic brush. I did two passes with the Gem 1907 Lather Catcher Razor with an Original Gem Cutlery SE blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Peach WH and then Lucky Tiger AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Linuxguile, MPF9, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  10. mayer57619

mayer57619 Well-Known Member

Sunday's shave setup

Warm shower
    Burma Shave brush
    D. R. Harris soap
    GEM 1912 razor
    GEM stainless steel blade
    Witch hazel, aloe, vetiver skin conditioner
    Pinaud Clubman aftershave

Great shave, feeling nice and clean. Enjoy your day gents![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Linuxguile, MPF9, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  11. Bird Lives

Hey! Don't get snippy with me, young man...I did in fact miss the question, but would love to answer, if I have the capacity with my limited experience ; any guestion you might have. AND in the future, if you EVAH have any thing you would like to chat with me about, my door is ALWAYS open for YOU. If I don't answer, sound me or PM me...Sometimes I blow in and out so fast, I miss alot of action that I would loved to have been a part of. You Dig?!

Not to try and answer that question...
    1 It definitely does not act like a pivot.
    2 By the design, it does require pressure. BUT....the angle can apply the proper amount of resistance to make it kick in..For example, when going against the grain, that angle, especially like around jaw line or chin, but even ATG up the cheek can do it. Sometimes just a long stroke can apply enough resistance. I don't use pressure, but I like to ride the cap...and by doing that, the razor makes it's adjustments seamlessly and unnoticeably.

So while it is definitely a different catagory of design from the pivot system...The results are very similar. To be truthful, I've given up trying to see when it is actually making it's adjustments...But I know it is very efficiently doing so, by how effortlessly it is cleaning up those proplem spots, that I would normally have to buff.

So that feature works...Actually in a most intelligent way IMHO! I like this self adjusting feature better than the pivot of lets say an Atra...Which I have liked very much in the past. I believe this razor is very smart and makes its adjustments diliberately and when most affective...and it does so, so smoothly you don't even realize shes doing it!

Jim99, Linuxguile, MPF9 and 5 others like this.
  12. Bird Lives

Today, Day 3 with the Personna Floating Head..

Today I did a Shave-Off, was a Personna/ems blade on the right side of face and a Pro-line B-20 on the Left.

1. Both sides equally close with this razor...Maybe the F-H is a blade equilizer.
    2. Personna had more blade feel/feedback....
    3. Pro-line was more like, "Is there a blade in this razor?"

Which you would like better is a matter of YMMV...personal preference. I'm glad this razor likes all injector blades...For me thats a big plus!

This razor to sum things up....
    Shaves as efficient and close as an Injecto-matic (guess thats in it's DNA)...But feels like a Schick L type...very mild.
    This can be dangerous. When it feels so mild you are tempted to use more pressure...But DON'T, No pressure needed.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Jim99, polishaver, Linuxguile and 5 others like this.
  13. Bird Lives

Today's Fathers Day Shave was a typical any day shave....from 1973...
    Barbasol, personna and schick blades, a Personna Floating Head Injector, Skin Bracer and Clubman Splashes....To quote James Brown, "I FEEL GOOD!!"
    image.jpeg

Jim99, polishaver, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  14. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

Snippy yes, young no ;)
    Thanks for the detailed reply.
    If it requires pressure then it's not for me.

15. Bird Lives

When I say pressure, I'm using the term by definition only. Yes it is pressure activated. But very little pressure. I use VERY little pressure. In fact, I consider my style as using negative pressure. And especially with an aggressive injector like this one. And when this adjustment action happens it is unnoticeable. But the system I feel works very effectively...The results are similar as if it was a pivot like the atra...only it's more controlled. Theres no jiggle like the atra. or sticky swivel.

I think where the, "if it's for you or not" factor is more in the...."It shaves aggressive but feels very mild" thing.
    That feels counter intuitive to some folks. And because you don't feel the blade...some folks are non-stop looking for the right angle...But thats where the floating thing works very well. The right angle is always right there. You just need to not look for it. Turn off that looking for the feedback sensor and just remove the shaving cream as fast as you like...with as little pressure as you like...The whiskers will be removed! I remember the Schick F type was a little like that too...I kind of magically removed the whiskers while you never felt the blade.

Jim99, Linuxguile, MPF9 and 5 others like this.
  16. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

It's back on my radar :cool::)

Jim99 and clint64 like this.
  17. Bird Lives

Now the YMMV factor is very high with razors...Sooo I take no responsibility...But let me put it this way....If you really dig the Injecto-matic...then you should Love the Floating Head....To me it's like the next generation I-M....It shaves the same, only feels much milder.

Happy Father's Day, buddy and wishing you many Great Shaves!!

18. Bird Lives

Both those years could be '04's....definitely hand stamped...and they put the whole date...that's cool. Your's appears to be "Post War".......Spanish-American War that is...lol! Probably Teddy Roosevelt had one of these in the White House....First Term! If you want to go more vintage than this, you've almost gotta go straight...}8^D

I was reading about the cat who invented this razor; Henry Gaisman; got his first patent in 1904... So you are right there at the start of Henry's career. He came up with quite a few versions after this and then they became Valets...and he also patented the disposable razor blade before King Gillette, so Gillette could never really take him out. Since Gaisman owned these patents, he forced Gillette to buy Valet Auto-strop, for an incredible amount of money in like 1930 I believe. And then he turned around and bought enough Gillette Stocks to have a controlling interest. Then in 1932 Gaisman flat took over Gillette!!! Did Henry have his act together or what!!! So actually Auto-Stop owed Gillette and Gaisman ran the company...

This cat was unstoppable...and he lived to a ripe old age of 104 years old....I think he was trying to live long enough to wear out that first razor of his...Sounds like that could never happen....That '04 of yours will probably be giving incredible shave for another 100 years!

I'm sure you, your Royal Fuzziness, already knew all dez, but I wanted to document dis stuff here in the SE Party for all our Party Monsters and SE-Heads...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Oh sure your "snippy". They call me "GRUMPY"

Never too much information. Thanks my friend. Once I get a few more shaves with the A1 you have GOT to give it a go!

Bird Lives, Boru62 and clint64 like this.
  20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sunday afternoon church shave.

Schick F.....Boots soap....JR #176/Omega boar..Boots Freshwood AS. Really a great shave. The Boots is just outstanding stuff. Thanks again to @Bama Samurai for the gift!

[​IMG]

polishaver, Linuxguile, PLAla and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.