Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

My 101st birthday shave, with a blue carbon blade, Proroso Green, and the WD silvertip, for a great, BBS shave. It still feels DFS quality 9 hours later!

americanshamrock and clint64 like this.
  2. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

[​IMG]

Bird Lives likes this.
  3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I see by your photo you really are "One of the Cats!"....

americanshamrock likes this.
  4. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Guys- How many shaves are you getting out of injector blades vs. DE???

I am usually three and out with any DE blade. Just completed my third shave with the Shick blade with no deterioration in the quality so far.

Just wondering how long I can reasonably expect to go, and how others are doing with this...

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I can get 8-10 most of the time from an injector blade. What's great about them for me is they don't irritate when they start to dull. They just don't cut the whiskers as easy.

SDK and GDCarrington like this.
  6. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Why yes I am :cool:

7-10 with the Chinese Schick blades....9-12 with some of the vintage US Schick blades.

SDK likes this.
  7. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

Some where between 10 and 20

SDK likes this.
  8. Bird Lives

3 Days max with a DE.....a solid week with rebranded Personnas in injector....7 to 10 days with Schick (chinese), same as my man Chris....and maybe 2-3 weeks with Personna 74 injector blades...

One time I lost count with a GEM stainless in my ER1914, and I went over a month...Could have kept going, not one pull...But after a month I changed it out of boredom....ha,ha....Too many great shaves in Paradise....lol!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    SDK likes this.
  9. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Thanks for the replies gentlemen :happy088:

7 or 8 shaves per blade seems to bring the per shave price in line with DE's for most. I'm already thinking perfect travel razor. I could be away for a week and not need to bring any extra blades....

10. Bird Lives

Problem is...when traveling, you can take the blade out of the DE and wrap it back in it's original paper and put it back in when you get to where you're going....The injector blade stays in the razor and can get the edge knocked around in the shaving kit....There used to be an adjustable Schick called the 'Protector' and it had a switch which raised a piece to cover the blade. Now that was a super idea for a traveling injector....As a musician when doing one nighter sometimes I'd change blades every day...But with the Protector...problem solved...I need to cop one....heres a pic of Hoosier Trooper Tom's Protector...and it's an adjustable...This guy was designed spacifically for me....}8^))
    See Col Schick was a genius who did invent a better mousetrap...and Eversharp was the right company to continue manufacturing these...any changes they added were ingenious devices which were way cool while still maintaining the integrity of the original design...Like the Hydro-magic option, I just love it....The Lady Eversharp, a great ladies razor....and this Protector is perfect for a musician doing one nighters...push the tab and toss it in the trumpet case...
    image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    dscaver, SDK, feeltheburn and 2 others like this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

[​IMG]

Thanks @JR Reyes for the loan of 4 GEM Razors to test drive. I stopped by CVS Pharmacy on the way home last night and picked up some blades. Placed an order for some PETE GEM blades for the upcoming shaves. I shaved with a GEM Feather Weight for this mornings shave. A very good 3 pass shave this morning. The angle was very easy to find and I was happy with the resulting shave. I did have a problem getting close enough above my lip and the point of the chin. Reached for the Mongoose to clean up those areas. I sure these areas will get better as I get used to the GEM razors.

dscaver, Bird Lives, JR Reyes and 2 others like this.
  12. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Understood and thanks for the heads up. I was looking at some of the adjustable Schicks that have cases on the Bay, but will also hunt around for one of the Protectors.

Bird Lives, PatrickA51 and clint64 like this.
  13. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Awesome Clint- Glad you are having better luck with them than I did!

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I think I have used SE razors so much since the first of the year, that it translates across the razors. At least I hope so, since JR sent me 4 to try out. ;)

JR Reyes and SDK like this.
  15. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Fantastic feedback Clint. I'm sure with a couple more shaves you will have that confidence to achieve that desired closeness. I think those new blades will help, especially in getting more shaves per blade. Keep up the good work.

clint64 and PatrickA51 like this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    This is the fourth week of my GEM/ER SE Month, and I am finishing the month with my GEM G-bar. @PatrickA51 sent me some Treet blades and I will be trying them out this week.
    sod150327.JPG

GDCarrington, clint64 and PatrickA51 like this.
  17. Bird Lives

But with the right case.....any of the Schicks would be cool...I had several improvised cases that didn't really protect the blade enough...
    But if you are traveling like once a week, no prob...Just schlack-schlack a new blade in when you get to where you're going....
    I ended up using a couple SE's....either an ER1914 or 1924....I kept the blade cardboard wrap-around thing and would take out the blade, put back in the cardboard with a rubber band To hold the cardboard shut because the cardboard was torn when I opened it, but the rubberband works purfect. Put the used blade in the case with the razor and a pack of 10 blades lasts over 3 months...I never travel that much anymore....Works GREAT!

jakie55 likes this.
  18. Bird Lives

Man, I dropped the baby on this one......
    TODAY, APRIL 1st 1924 was the patent anniversary for designer genius de Mesquita's Ever Ready 1924 model where the handle screws directly into the head.....

:greet002::wave::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017:

This is one of my altime favorite razors....I think if anyone wants to join in the celebration any 1924 shave this month, if posted here will count as being part of the festivities..

And.... Actually the original patent that deMesquita applied for the first Shovel head type razor was applied for on Dec. 3rd,1909 and he got the Patent on April 13, 1915....

I think all lovers of the ER 1924 or any version of the Shovel Head should celebrate this 100 year patent anniversary....
    image.jpg

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

[​IMG]

@JR Reyes was kind enough to let me test drive some GEM razors. I didn't want to abuse his kindness by keeping the razors to long so today's shave I used the GEM 1912 with GEM SS coated blades. The Strop Shoppe soap whipped up a great slick lather which helped with a fantastic 3 pass shave. Not BBS but pretty close. I do have problems with the GEM razors above my lip so I cheated and used a Schick Injector in that area. I will add that I like the SS coated blades much better than the carbon blades. Based off of the shaves I have had with the GEM Razors, I did pick up a GEM MMBT to add to my collection. Thanks again JR for letting me try these razors out.

JR Reyes and Herm2502 like this.
  20. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I've never used a SE razor. I asked Jayaruh what he might recommend and he suggested a GEM 1912 to start. I put up a WTB here on TSD and another TSD gentleman, @Omaney, offered this Star. I realize it's not a GEM, but from what I've learned it's pretty darn close.

Funny, but when he initially made the offer of "I have a Star I can send you.", I answered with "How much?" His response was "For what? Postage?" It was then I realized he was offering this razor as a gift to me as a SE newbie. He also included a handful of SE carbon blades! Right now I'm using my custom fat boy until the end of tax season. Then this razor is next in line! I cant wait to to try it out!

Star 1.JPG Star 2.JPG

My sincere thanks to @Omaney for this excellent gift.

Bird Lives, clint64 and SDK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.