Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I personally think if the handle if the G Bar was paired with the head geometry of the Clog Pruf, I'd have the perfect SE. It's true, the mild nature af the G Bar lulls me into a carefree complacency at times, and that 4th pass. I don't use it often (or the FW) because of the less aggressive shave.

2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Right now I'm basking in the light of one of my Pop's birthyear SE's shaving glory....
    The Ever Ready 1924, is having a type of anniversary by proxy...The original razor patent for the ER1909 (the original Shovelhead) was awarded April 13, 1915...So the ER1924's blood-line; so to speak; has it's 100th Patent Anniversary this April 15th....although it started production Dec. 9th 1909....It's inventor de Mesquita continued to make little tweaks til its last patent was applied for April 1st 1924 (but actually put into production a few years before that) therefore the name ER 1924....

But a Rose by any other name shall shave as smooth.....(or something like that)...

Whatever the case maybe, this special month has diverted my attention back to my former love, this 1924 Shovel-headed Beauty. And while I'm having fun celebrating it's siblings Centenerary Anniversary, I am absoloutely enamored and thoroughly enjoying the fantasic shaves this prodigy of de Mesquita, make it look so easy to produce...

I cannot find one tiny little thing about this lovely razor that is less than perfect; in my book...The ER 1924 is on my very short list of all time favs...It's funny to think that possibly the last real improvement made in our blade holding shaving devices, was last put in production at the end of WWI...
    image.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Jayaruh, SDK, HoosierTrooper and 2 others like this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Nice photo!

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

[​IMG]

Thanks again @JR Reyes for the loan of the GEM Razors. This is my 6th shave with GEM razors and I am getting the hang of the angles around my trouble spots. I did not need to use the Schick to touch up. Very good 3 pass shave this morning achieving a near BBS if not a couple of trouble spots.

5. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I'm now officially ready to spend some serious time working with a selection of injectors. Pictured below:

Eversharp
    J1
    M39
    M2 Adjustable

[​IMG]

I have been shaving with the J1 all week, and will be switching to the M39 tomorrow. All systems are go so far :happy088:

Jayaruh, Hodge, IDuck and 4 others like this.
  6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

[​IMG]

Took my time and paid attention to the angles and ended up with a very good near BBS shave this morning. Between the GEMs, Mongoose and Injectors, my DE razors have not seen much use this year.

7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Tried my first attempt with a SE razor and had major problems. So I'm turning to my Den brethren for help. I've been DE shaving for about a year and thought I'd try a SE razor. @Omaney graciously provided me with a nice Star for my first razor. He also included some GEM carbon blades.

Star 1.JPG Star 2.JPG

I watched some videos and read posts here on TSD to get the idea of how it's done. I started the shave by putting the head of the razor nearly flat on my cheek and then raised it up just slightly. While there was lots of feedback, I couldn't get the "feel" of the blade like I do with a DE razor. I continued to shave, but I found that each stroke pulled and tugged and was generally uncomfortable. I switched blades (just in case) with no change. I managed 1 1/2 passes before giving up with a generally sore face. I'm sure this is the result of my poor technique, but I'm not sure what's wrong.

Bird Lives likes this.
  8. Bird Lives

Like with DE shaving make sure you are only letting the weight of the razor do the work....If your prep and angle are cool, then you may want to try a GEM Stainless Coated Blade....I order mine at Walgreens for instore pick-up. Usually takes no more than 3,4 days max, and no shipping charges...Some faces prefer the stainless, others the Carbon Steel...or some prefer the Stainless at first and later aquire the carbon preference. I believe maybe the carbons are sharper for the first couple shaves, but the stainless seem to get smoother after a couple shaves and then give a weeks worth of very smooth shaves....

It sounds like your angle is right...I'm thinking, like with DE's, you should try a different type blade...the GEM Stainless to be specific...

SDK, Herm2502 and Omaney like this.
  9. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Also, the head should just be clear of the surface of your face. In many places/positions on mine, I feel the smooth top surface of the head "following" the cutting edge.

Try the CVS single edge blades. They are the smoothest for me.

SDK and Herm2502 like this.
  10. Herm2502

Thanks Bird and Omaney for the advice. I'll check out the CVS blades as they're easy to get. I don't want to give up only after one try. If that was the case I'd still be using my Braun electric.

Omaney likes this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

If I'm not mistaken the CVS blades are carbon as well. I just picked up some from tryablade to help me decided. The coated blades made a big difference in the shaves for me. YMMV

12. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Haven't even tried it yet. Don't know what I'm waiting on

Jayaruh, SDK and jakie55 like this.
  13. Herm2502

Just checked Walgreens and they carry the GEM Stainless. So, maybe we'll give those a try.

Bird Lives, SDK and clint64 like this.
  14. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Try that bad boy!

15. Bird Lives

Those are the ones.....I love both the Blue Star Carbons and the GEM Stainless, but they are different as night and day.....

the Carbons are a little high maintanance....you have to dip in alcohol after each shave and pat dry and keep in an air tight contaner or they will rust, but I do really like the first 3 shaves with them...

The Stainless are kind of bullet proof...you throw one in, and the first shave is the harshest, but still better than any DE blade IMHO, then the next two shaves get even smoother; some may say Heavenly; and it stays like that for the rest the week...I usually swish my razor (with the blade in it) in alcohol after each shave. But thats really not nessasary, I'm just in the habit and it keeps my 90 and 100 year old razors shiney and germ free...looking like youngsters...};^))

Don't think about it, grab some of those GEM Stainlesses....Theres 10 to a pack, if you don't like em, you can send them this way, ha,ha...or pif them to some lucky shaver....But my money is on, 'your gonna love em"

And BTW..... I love your Star....with the right blade, that should make you a very happy man.....:happy088::happy088:...

No Kidding....you got that fabulous Injector and those blades are like....the "Standard I Judge All Injector Blades" by.....If you don't dig in.....some Denizens are liable to 'break-in' and have an Injector Party with it...and you'll discover your shavecave has been the scene of Injector Decadent Madness...:shocked003:.....ha,ha....Haven't you been reading the papers? People love that set-up.....We.......uh, I mean, some people see a set up like that and just can't control themselves....:char039:...But your Honour....I plead, insanity, I'm just crazy for those Schick Plats.....Mua,ha,ha,ha.....

All kidding aside, thats a "Dream Kit" you've got waiting to happen right there.....Dig in and give us the stroke by stroke account....

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    Herm2502, jakie55 and GDCarrington like this.
  16. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

well consider me a sucker for peer pressure, because you just talked me into it...and BTW SDK, that pinaud vanilla and lime sec. AS have rocked my world...love love love them and hunting down some lucky tiger as well, cant thank you enough

@Bird Lives LOL, i have been kind of scared of it TBH, my 1st one/set up and have never used one...wanted to get into straights and figured i better start here, then i got a few gillette news and a FB and had to try those out...im very lucky as i have a antique store that i can find just about anything at and those blades where new in the box and got them both for $5 and the razor for $2...they have soooo many straights but i havent even began to research them to see what i should get and there is still a 40's SS, krona (has the eagle/metal cap) and many many other DE that i keep eyeballing

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    SDK likes this.
  17. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Glad to hear. I liked them both as well, especially the Lime Sec!

Report on that injector shave ASAP!

18. Bird Lives

I haven't had the opportunity to try the Lime Sec yet...How would you compare it to their Citrus Musk?

@IDuck ,you're putting together a nice collection....You have a great source it appears...your lucky....the Vintage Herd around here has been heavily thinned out.....

Those classic Gillettes are wonderful, but I'm interested to hear your Injector impressions....I has been pretty outspoken around here about my admiration for the good Col. Schick...I honestly believe that he was a genius who did invent a better mousetrap and Eversharp was the right company to continue producing his prodigy...their innovations where clever and they always kept the Schick's original integrity intact...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    SDK likes this.
  19. Bird Lives

PS: I FORGOT...when I use The Carbons, I swish the blade in alcohol, pat dry and put one drop of baby oil on each side and rub it all over the blade...It really does help alot to arrest that rust and allow you to get the carbons full potential...For me no more than 3 shaves, but 3 really great ones....

20. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    First shave with the Schick M34 this morning and it was near perfect. 3 passes, with the third pass ATG on my neck provided the smoothest shave with zero irratation since starting wet shaving last fall. I think I might end up with IRAD.:happy093:

Jayaruh, jakie55, feeltheburn and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.