Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I have had 2nd thought about that Biotique Palmyra Cream myself..When I got the stuff it smelt all fresh & apple like & now it went kinda weird smellin..Not bad just not that nice...When I got it I thought it was very slick but last time I used it as you say it was thinning out..MMMmm...:prrr:

Billy..:chores016:

2. chrisbd

chrisbd Well-Known Member

Isn't that a quiche?

Regards,
    Chris

3. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

I took delivery on a Mongoose last week and I've been getting acquainted with it the last few days. While I have accumulated over a hundred vintage single edge razors, this is my first modern SE.

This is one huge piece of hardware! The head is 2" wide (to accomodate the Feather Artist Club blade), it's over 4" long and weighs 5 oz. It has a satin (matte or brushed) finish, a spiral pattern handle, and is made (in the USA) entirely of stainless steel.

The first couple of shaves were a learning curve, but now I'm getting consistent BBS. More blades and a different handle should be arriving in today's mail.

It's not going to replace any of my vintage SE's, but definitely a change of pace and a worthy addition to the rotation.

[​IMG]

Mongoose
    Feather Artist Club Professional (5)
    Plisson Synthetic brush
    Chiseled Face Groomatorium Sherlock soap & AS

--Bob

4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I started last month with the Lady Eversharp (K1) and, once I got the hang of it, was rewarded with decent shaves. Next I used the Schick Adjustable and, after I moved up to 6-7 on the settings, again I was rewarded with nice, very close shaves.

Today I started with my G8 to try to get a handle on this style of injector, working toward my ultimate goal of using by E2 again. While I managed to get comfortable close shaves with the K and the adjustable, this G type still frustrated me. I just found it uncomfortable and unnatural to hold the blade at the proper angle and kept ending up at much too steep. I stopped and took a close look at the razor (after all, it can't be me or my technique, right? :D) Something that I had never noticed before was that the head of the razor was nearly perfectly straight from the handle, with no angle to it at all. It was then that I heard a choir sing "Ahhhhhh" and a bright light shone from above me. I carefully bent the head forward (toward the blade side) until the head was tilted at about a 20-30 degree angle. I started to shave again and the "angle" felt almost intuitive. I also noticed that the spring was much tighter (it had seemed a bit loose and rattily). I don't know if this bend is correct, but it work for me.

I guess this is just another of the problems of vintage razors. I've looked at pics on the web and it's difficult to determine the angle of the head. So, what IS the correct angle for the head of this type of injector (E, G)? And does it really matter as long as it works for me?
    :signs002:

Rufus T., AGHisBBS, chrisbd and 4 others like this.
  5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

It's never too late to get an H. Really. It provides one of the closest, smoothest shave you can get. Oh, and it's good on your face, too! :rofl:

Seriously, it is one of the most under-appreciated razors in my humble opinion. :happy088:

Rufus T., AGHisBBS, chrisbd and 3 others like this.
  6. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The type B2 is loaded with a new Chick blade and ready for a weeks worth of shaves. Of the Repeater razors the B is my least favorite. I seem to have to work at keeping the angle right and catch myself drifting often. Maybe with repeated use I will catch the hang of it better.

Rufus T., AGHisBBS, chrisbd and 6 others like this.
  7. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

The C3 rocks and that's the truth nice razor Bird!

8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

todays shave First ever with a Rolls
    [​IMG]
    Razor: Rolls First pass
    Razor: Ever ready Shoveled pass 2&3
    Soap: MWF
    Brush: Boar
    AS Aqua Velva

I have been honing and stropping my RR for a few nights now. It seemed sharp enough to shave with. I lathered up but I made my lather a bit thin. Too much water left in my brush when I started. Worked it a bit more and had an ok lather. Started my shave on my cheeks. There was no real tugging. I was paying special attention to the angle. I then moved to my neck as I do not have issues there. It cut ok but there was a bit of tugging starting. I finished up on my jaw line and under. There was a bit of tugging there also.

I finished my first pass with NO BLOOD! mission accomplished. I I did not want to tempt fate. I switched over to my new to me Shovelhead.
    Those 2 passes want fine. I ended up with a DFS.

The RR was actually pretty easy to shave with considering it is not sharp enough yet. It was not as scary as I thought it would be. I will definitely be using the RR again. Need to get that baby really sharp now. Lots of practice ahead for me.

Tom

Rufus T., Redfisher, JR Reyes and 6 others like this.
  9. Billyfergie

:happy036:Real Intuitive to shave with Tom ..They just look intimidating ...Sounds as your if blade isn't far off..For me its all part of the learning curve by just doing it & once you hit the Money Button you will Know...Your Eyes will Pop Open..:shocked003:

Rufus T., JR Reyes, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

You got that Chuck Norris thing going on with your whiskers...barbed wire...:happy102:.We saw the photo.....Thats why, when you dig a razor/blade combo everyone stops and listens....:happy088:

I loved my Damaskeene, mainly for historical importance and general good looks.....But I wasn't using it enough, so I piffed it to my real-estate broker's father....now he's getting into the Traditional Wet Shaving thing....Now it's getting used every day....It deserved that, they are great razors for the right person...you know...the ymmv factor rages with razor and blade preferences....

Hodge, Rufus T., Redfisher and 5 others like this.
  11. Billyfergie

Talkin about Chuck Norris..Here's me doin my Gung Fu Practice after being up half the night Pissed at a Wedding.. :happy097:

Hodge, Bird Lives, Rufus T. and 5 others like this.
  12. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

...after being up half the night Pissed at a Wedding.. :happy097:

Ah, that explains the unusual choice in Gung Fu attire... :rofl:

13. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Soap: Tabac
    Brush: B&B Essential Boar
    Razor: The One Blade
    Blade: Gem Stainless #8

T2.jpg

Rufus T., Redfisher, JR Reyes and 4 others like this.
  14. Billyfergie

Kampfe Lather Catcher..:p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Three Pass Shaving Routine...:cool:
    Hot Water prep & massage with Coconut Oil
    Kampfe Lather Catcher
    CV Heljestrand Hollow Ground Blade
    LeonHardy Pure Badger
    LEA Tallow soap
    Thayers Original Witch Hazel

I almost forgot I had my Star/Kampfe Lather Catcher..I have used this a number of times with a Gem shimmed blade...I used it today for the first time with a Hollow Ground Job..These are fairly aggressive with a Gem blade but a lot milder with the original hollow ground..You just cant compare Like for Like because as that akin to comparing a Steam Train to a Diesel Train..They both get you there but that's where it ends..The angle on the Kampfe was pretty subtle...I was expecting it to be more Aggressive to be honest...I was throwing the Kampfe around about just as easy as a Modern Cartridge System...Very smooth & forgiving...It would be almost impossible to cut yourself with this set up..:p

The Kampfes were made in high numbers & sold all over the Western World..They were one of the mainstream safety razors of the day..No bones about that..The Kamfe Hollow Ground Blade combo sure is One Safe Safety Razor...Its as safe as a modern cartridge razor & maybe then some...I ended up with an Irritation Free Mixed DFS & BBS Result ...I had a really nice shave today...The Kamfe Lather Catcher just doesn't look anywhere near the Mighty CV Heljestrand...The Rolls Razor is Twice the Razor an All...I don't fall into the Camp that there is no better razor than another..Things can be close & thing can be just different but when there is a Wide Gap in Performance One Sure Wins Over an Other..Any body that wants to tread this path...The Rolls & the CV Heljestrand are up there..No Bones about that..:angelic007:

Hodge, Rufus T., Redfisher and 4 others like this.
  15. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I have ventured into unknown territory. On a whim I picked up a near mint G-1 (8 bucks) several weeks ago, mainly because the first razor I ever used was my dad's injector (around 1972). Yesterday my blades arrived so used it for the first time this morning. Wow. What great, close, nimble and irritation free shave! I was floored! I really enjoyed it, so much so, that I'm going to put the G in my rotation. Then, today while on the bay I ran across a G-1 case so I pulled the trigger. This G is definitely a keeper! I really (really) like the feel of this razor, and find it's appearence to be elegant - in it's own strange way? I will be doing some schooling on injector history.

chrisbd, Rufus T., Karl G and 6 others like this.
  16. Billyfergie

:happy096:The Schick Injectors are quite a Freedom of Expression...Glad you enjoyed it..:)

Rufus T., Karl G, Redfisher and 2 others like this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455051551.701713.jpg
    Look what some lucky person won yesterday

preidy, Hodge, AGHisBBS and 8 others like this.
  18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

19. Billyfergie

:happy102:....I watched that one going down..Hard to tell the condition of that one so it was..:p

Hodge, AGHisBBS, chrisbd and 3 others like this.
  20. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Glad your G is a winner! I may stop by for "injector lessons". I still struggle with mine.

AGHisBBS, chrisbd, Karl G and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.