Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The Type E 1 is Very Smooth..No Bones about it..:)

Billy..:chores016:

2. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I've got my E2 lined up for tomorrow, back on the injector train! :transport022:--------- E2 injectornew.jpg

3. Billyfergie

Choo Choo..:transport022:..:happy088:

4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I agree, the E1 is much tamer than the E2. I personally struggle with the E2, but the E1 had been OK.

5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Judging by the picture you better put your glasses on.

6. Billyfergie

I didn't Know you had a Type E 1 with a Square Spring that Opens..:signs002:

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Thursday's
    [​IMG]

JR Reyes, Rufus T., twhite and 9 others like this.
  8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good setup Jim. Excellent brush. :happy096:

Rufus T., twhite, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thank you. The cream that keeps on giving. That brush is an excellent brush. If I only had one brush, I would be satisfied with it.

twhite, Karl G, Robyflexx and 2 others like this.
  10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

First Shave with aValet VC-1
    [​IMG]
    Razor: Valet VC-1
    Blade: De-spined Gem SS
    Brush: JR 57 w/ Maggards synthetic 24mm
    Soap: PAA Big Save Soap
    Post Shave: OSMA block
    AS: PAA Big Shave Splash

This was my first full shave with my Valet. I tied it one other time but found it would not cut with the GEM blade. Thanks to @spidey9 he got me dialed in on the mod needed to get the blade to move all the way forward to the stops.

Lathering the PAA soap is a pleasure. It makes a fine slick lather with little effort. So I went to work on my first pass. Right off the bat I noticed that you really do not have a cap to set your angle. When laid back all the way it did not want to cut nice. Easily fixed by just lifting slightly off the face. The second and most noticeable thing is, the blade tends to vibrate like a DE razor. Not a bad thing per say, but not what I was expecting from a SE. I believe this is from the design of holding the blade in more of a pinching fashion on the front edge and back edge. Nothing like a standard SE or injector, where it is held in place from the back and a nice contact all the way across the blade towards the working end of the blade. This is just my observation.

being that there seems to be less support on the blade. I found that it did not want to cut thru my first pass as smooth as SE's, much more like DE's. (not nearly as efficient) The blade tends to skip

11. old-school shaver

old-school shaver Well-Known Member

IMG_20160526_210756.jpg First shave with my NOS New Model C Va!et Auto Strop Razor. IMG_20160526_211816.jpg

Razor- NOS New Model C Valet Auto Strop.
    Blade- NOS Valet Auto Strop Blade.
    Strop- Valet Auto Strop Razor Strop.
    Lather- Artisan made Barbershop Scent Shave soap form Kim Kelleys Boutique.
    Brush- Vintage Strong Set.
    Post- OSMA Alum
    Genuine Ogallala Bay Rum Sage and Cedar
    Not the most pleasant shave tonight think I need to work on the blade a little more. Tonight I just run the blade 50 laps on the leather strop didn't get the smoothest shave but it was a shave none the less. I'll run the blade on my barber hone than on a pasted strop and try it again. Everything was a first time use tonight new soap new razor new brush. All things considering it wasn't a total loss the soap seemed to have a nice slick lather.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Wow what are the chances of 2 people posting a Valet shave? Is it your first go with it? I am very curios about what you think of my thoughts on them.

Tom

13. old-school shaver

Tom

That's pretty unusual two of us posting back to back using the same razor for the first time. I've never used the Valet razor before tonight. I have Valet blades I didn't know you could use a Gem blade without the spine. I'm going to do more work on the blade and try it again. Yes I think it shaves much like a DE razor but I'll know more after the next shave.
    Ken P.

14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Ken

yours is a later model Valet. It will not take a de-spined SE blade. it will take the Feather blades though. The VC-1 and earlier VB models can take a modified SE blade. I found this out reading other posts and great info from @spidey9.

You might want to try the feathers SE blades. That way you know they are good sharp blades.

I have some Valet blades that came with the razor. I might strop one up and try that next time. I am determined to get a really good shave with it.

Tom

15. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Thanks Douglas.

Karl G, Douglas Carey and Billyfergie like this.
  16. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Staying with the type D with a modded Feather AC. This combo is perfection.
    [​IMG]

17. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

May 26, 2016
    It’s Hydro-Magic May!
    I’m spending the month with my three Schick Eversharp razors that sport the Hydro-Magic shaving/cleansing head - Types I2, J3, K1

Long workday on Thursday, just finally posting now.

Hot Shower
    Razor: 1955-1958 Schick Eversharp Type I2
    Blade: Schick (Dutch) (3)
    Soap: Route 66 Barbershop Hop
    Brush: Stirling Kong
    TSD Witch Hazel
    AS: Myrsol Blue

05-26-16.JPG

2-day growth, 3-pass shave - WTG, XTG, ATG
    As I close out the month-long focus, I’m content to not chase BBS and just take the best I can get with focused technique and the tools in hand without any touch-up or buffing. DFS result suits me just fine.

Cheers!
    RT

18. old-school shaver

Tom

You say a feather blade will fit in my razor. Well I guess I better order some because like you I am also determined to Get a good shave from this razor. Last night's shave wasn't a complete fail it just wasn't as close a shave or irritation free as with a shave from my Gem Damaskeene or my Schick Injector Adjustable. But like using any new razor you can't always expect perfection the first time. It will give me a good shave sometime soon I just know it will. Thanks for the feather blade info looking for some now.
    Ken P

Karl G, AGHisBBS, twhite and 3 others like this.
  19. Billyfergie

Just make Sure Ya Get the Stainless Ones..The Carbon Ones are the Pits by all Accounts..:angelic007:

20. old-school shaver

Thanks @Billyfergie going to check Fendrihans now and see what they have to offer in feather stainless SE blades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.