Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Other than vintage blades the only other option are Personnas, and ASR stopped supplying injector blades to retail stores a couple years ago and now only sell them to medical supply companies. They made the house brand blades for several retail stores like CVS, Meijer etc. They can be ordered from www.tedpella.com and www.emsdiasum.com

I prefer the Schicks like you're using and can find them locally which is good, becasue I try to buy blades locally as much as possible.

2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Hard to beat the Schicks......but the EMS's (re-branded Personnas) can save you money....
    Stainless Steel "PTFE" Coated 20 blades in a dispenser.
    71990 Dispenser each 4.50
    71991 Dispenser 10/lot 42.00

Phone: 215-412-8400Toll Free: 800-523-5874
    If you call to order, they are very fast....on-line I've heard the opposite...:)

And if you go 'new old stock' vintage....the Personna 74's are legendary and the Schick Plus Platinum's set a standard of excellence...

3. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Thought I'd share one of my recent acquisitions. Pick this beauty up for $2 at a thrift store. Shaves wonderfully. Well over 1 week on 1 blade.

[​IMG]

Asd and Switchermike like this.
  4. Bird Lives

ohhh she is fine.....a real heart-breaker......;)

5. Bird Lives

6. ella

ella Member

I had the worst shave today, with a new Schick blade. I ended up using a disposable razor in the shower to finish! It wasn't even a matter of more passes, it just wasn't cutting.

I may check out ebay, though the EMS blades sound fine. On legs I don't need such a close shave. Thanks :)

Switchermike likes this.
  7. Bird Lives

Hey...the EMS/Personnas are not a step down...they shave great...your legs should be BBS....;)
    You can get a bad blade with any brand....When I feel a tug or pull, I change the blade...right then, no questions asked...I enjoy a great shave too much to fool around.....one tug or pull=blade change....

I hold the razor down near the end of the handle...use no pressure and let the blade do all the work...and it will....If its not cutting....BLADE CHANGE.....blades are cheap....my skin isn't...lol

8. HoosierTrooper

Any chance you may have drug the edge across the blade stops when loading it? I've done that a couple times, usually when loading an empty injector, and it really does bad things to the blade.

9. ella

ella Member

I don't think so, the edge looks and feels sharp, but I'll make sure I don't in the future!
    Glad to get a thumbs up on the EMS blades. I like the 20 blade injector, too--7 blades per injector seems so wasteful.

10. HoosierTrooper

OK. Just a suggestion if you order some of the Personna's, hold onto a couple of the metal Schick dispensers. The cheap, plastic dispenser that ASR uses is notoriously crappy, I've had a couple of them break and the last one I have left from a group buy over at B&B doesn't work, the tab slides right over the top blade. I can push the blade out manually by using a small screwdriver to push the blade far enough to get it out and load it into a Schick dispenser.

11. Bird Lives

Hey Tom....I've heard that...and I can see the possibility...but I think its a matter of finding the right moves for the EMS injector....admittingly cheaply made....
    Now alot of cats don't dig Personna's metal top and plastic bottom injectors, but I have never had a problem...At first I did but then I realized the Personna Injectors have their own moves....
    Here it tis......
    First you pull the slide back...then you hold the injector in your right hand with thumb on top and fingers underneath with key facing the razor. You hold the injector firmly as you stick the key into the razor...this holds the metal top onto the plastic bottom so they can't come apart...Then very gently push the slide forward to load the blade...if it doesn't go right in, lift the back of the injector a hair and the blade should slip right in....Once you find the right angle so it slips in easily, its always the same....From now on the whole thing becomes second nature....Just remember to never force it...The slide should slide forward and the new blade should slip right in easily...If it doesn't, lift the back of the injector a little til it does....Its really simpler than it sounds...very easy...

If you don't know about it and just stick the key in and force the slide they can come apart...thats how the bad rep started....but I think most people are hip to it now so nobody cares anymore....The are a great product and good price....I love em....And I'm with you...I dig the 20 blades per injector aswell...I buy the 10 lot for $42...Its a great deal...and I really do get great shaves with them...They are at least as sharp or sharper than my favorite DE blades....;)

MoAllen likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, here is another Goldfinger!

I obtained this one and it even has a case.

[​IMG]

13. Bird Lives

The case is the 'Piece de Resistance'...to a razor Goldfinger would have jumped through hoops to get to his whiskers....;)

It is exquisite....simply exquisite....fit for a king....and like the ad says...It's a gift of perfect taste...Although I can't let you do it...I'm afraid I must insist that you keep this for your collection although I appreciate the thought.....:))

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

15. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

I've been looking to pick up an E model Schick injector. I finally found one and won on eBay. I believe that this is a Black Handle E5. Please excuse my poor pics.

DSCN2047.JPG DSCN2049.JPG DSCN2051.JPG

Also had a few blades come in that I wanted to try out.

16. Bird Lives

WOW...thats a beauty....I've always wanted a Black Handle 'E'model.....My Dad was issued a Black Handle 'E'type in the Navy in WWII....I wish you atleast as many great shaves as he got with his....and thats saying something...He was crazy for his...used it all the way til Christmas of 1955 when he splurged and got the new Hydro-magic...I really don't know which he liked best...Probably like alot of us, he loved them both...He said the fact the Navy got those great Schicks and the Army got Gillette Techs was one way of showing that the Government liked the Navy best...ha,ha,ha.... He was always out spoken on his favorite razors...

Smott likes this.
  17. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Need help with ID

Looking at Jody's chart, I believe that I have a Schick Type L1, 1965-1980. Can anyone help me narrow it down any further? There is a designation M27 on the bottom.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Asd likes this.
  18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Mo,

The Schick injector codes were not the same as Gillette where the code equated to the date. According to the patent this was designed in 1958.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=EI...=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Given that Schick was changing up their looks for the L series in the mid 1970s, I would place this between 1965 to 1970 since all the other variant handles started coming out in 1969.
    That is about the best I can offer up on this other than if you use it you will probably like it, get spoiled by it, and start hoarding blades. ;)

MoAllen likes this.
  19. Bird Lives

When you right....you right.....:happy097:

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Thanks for the info!

I'm already loving it! The only blades I have tried are the Chinese Schick, which are excellent. I've wondered about the Personnas and the old vintage blades I've seen for sale. I'll have to get some and make up my own mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.