Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Go order a set of Schick or Barber blades from Amazon and get started. Barber is made by Personna which is the maker of the Ted Pella EMS.

Here is some more to whet your appetite!

[​IMG]

2. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Haha, cool! Thanks for the photo. So they're like mini half-DE blades, eh? There's no top or bottom to them it looks like. If I did the EMS, but got a pack with a metal magazine in the meantime, could I reload the metal magazine? Again, I'd assume it wouldn't matter which side was facing up when you insert them into the magazine.

You sure know how to get me goin' on this! hehe

3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

The blade is shaped to go in one way only.....And its a pain to insert without the magazine...If you can't find the right time to call EMS, why don't you order an injector from Amazon ?
    The blade is shaped to go in one way only...There is most diffinantly a top and bottom aswell...These are thick like little straight razors...the bottom is wider than the top and the sharp edge is angled from the botton up to the top....The back is flat...

And its a pain to insert without the magazine and the possibility of dulling the edge too....You can reload the metal mags...Infact some people like to do that, ask Tom ....

If you can't find the right time to call EMS, why don't you order an injector from Amazon ?....at least it would get you started and you need to try the Schick blades anyway....

4. Bird Lives

I would like to say in regards to the EMS/Personna vs Schick injector blade question that keeps coming up.....
    1. Schicks, first they come in an all metal dispenser which is bullet proof... are great and very consistant....and although not cheap....most people get twice the number of shaves or more than they get from a DE blade.

2.The re-branded Personnas; EMS, Ted Pella, CVS, Long's Drugs, etc,...First these come in a dispenser that has a plastic bottom and metal top and slide,,,therefore must be handled with care, and don't force the slide...lift the back of the injector a hair, if the new blade wont go in your razor easily...keep lifting til the slide moves forward easily...with the right angle new blades will load easily, just don't force...

Now the blades are not as consistant, BUT ! at their worse I find then equal or better to the best DE blades...Sometimes;but not very often; you get a blade that might be a little rough on the first or second shave but then smoothout and give 5 more steller shaves...Sometimes the first shave is like a Schick Platinum Plus and you sure can't ask for better than that....When they start off very sharp and smooth I usually get 5 shaves....When the first shave is a little rough it still is smoother than an Astra SP or Rapira Stainless to me....And in several years of using them I've only gotten one bad blade....Thats a more consistant percentage than I've gotten from any DE blade brand....And the price point @ 200 blades for $42. is excellent....

HoosierTrooper, MoAllen and TheFiveO like this.
  5. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Bird...thank you vey much for this posting. I think it is the clearest most concise answer to a question that I know many of us have had. The only other caveat I would add is that if you were to purchase a couple of the metal Schick injector cases, you can always refill them with the EMS/Personna blades so tht you have a better dispenser. GDCarrigton and Trooper have posted several time on how to "refill" a metal Schick dispenser.

6. Bird Lives

You know some cats like to do that, and I can understand...The metal dispensers are very nice...And the first couple times I changed blades with the plastic Personna injector I was considering it.....

See I just stuck the key in and tried to rack the slide back and forward to push the new blade in and it froze...It wouldn't move...I was forcing it and it was hurting my fingers...Then I just lifted the back of the injector a hair and the slide slid forward effortlessly....The "Ahh-Haah" experience...When you move the back of the injector around just a little til its lined up...everything works effortlessly....And it stays the same angle everytime...so after a couple times theres no thought involved....so I don't see the need...I'm gentle and never force anything...Course now it's just muscle memory...like racking a round into a 1911...;) Nows its been a couple years of using those Personna dispensers without a hiccup...

Also I think its good to not handle the blades more than neccesary...less chance of dulling the edges....But thats just my take...I've never had a problem after that...If I did...I'd be loading up the metal injectors myself....lol...It wouldn't be bad...take a few minutes and an injector would be good for a couple months woth of shaving....No probs either way the way I see it...Actually I love playing with this stuff anyway....would probably be fun....like loading up a bunch of 1911 mags, and Full-Moon clips the night before going to the range...

Smott, HoosierTrooper and TheFiveO like this.
  7. TheFiveO

Ahhhhh you just moved up about 20 notches!!!! Any fellow shaver that's ALSO a 1911 fan is A+++ in my book!! Took my Ruger SR1911 for a walk a week ago and still have a smile on my face from it!!

8. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Nice write up Lloyd. I kind of beat up on the Personna's because I've had a couple dispensers actually break, but that may have been my fault for not being gentle enough with them.

9. TheFiveO

Knuckle-dragger Tom!

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. HoosierTrooper

:)

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. Bird Lives

Don't want to hyjack this thread...but....I've had a bunch of series 70's and springfields and a few others but I've been out of the U.S. for the past 4 years so I've only seen pics of that SR1911....I'm jealouse....You should PM a review or post one on the Chatterbox....I'd love to hear about it and maybe dome pics...;) There are alot of fellow 'Shootists' around here...I'm sure there are lots who would dig your thoughts of Ruger finally making a 1911....

Tom you da man!!....Even if you do tend to 'Gorilla' your injectors....:happy097:

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

13. Bird Lives

PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.
  14. Switchermike

Switchermike Active Member

You may have aready tried it, but sometimes you get a bad blade. Try one more?

15. Bird Lives

Also don't use the same angle like a DE...With the Schick you just place the head flat on skin....

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

... and it exfoliates like :shocked002:

PLANofMAN and Bird Lives like this.
  17. Bird Lives

:eek::happy102::happy097:

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. HoosierTrooper

I picked up this L3 Schick Grip a while back for $8 at an antique store and have just recently gotten around to using it. Even though the handle was obviously a gimmick it works surprisingly well. I like the flat bottom to rest on my pinkie. Overall it's a very nice razor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This has something I've never seen on a Schick injector, it has five bumps on the guard bar that the blade rests on.
    [​IMG]

Asd, lindyhopper66 and PLANofMAN like this.
  19. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Good deal. I have one but have never tried it. Now I might give it a spin. I had the Paul Revere in that L series a while before I tried it and it is wonderful. Better for me than the Gs or Es or Ms.

20. Bird Lives

Looks like a gimmick, so I never got one...now after checking out those pics.....what a nice piece of kit.
    Very hip...I dig it...thanks for the pics...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.