Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white_feather

white_feather Active Member

GDCarrington, I would have never thought of owning an injector but after seeing your pictures I think I am going to have to get some.

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Yep and the Schick Stick and Easy Rider are also great shavers IMHO. There is a difference in handle length, weight, and balance but all are serious injectors......then, there is the Paul Revere;)

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have the Paul Revere handled Trac II razor (sorry, not the injector) and for look and balance of the handle, it is very hard to beat. It's my favorite cartridge razor.:D I would pick up the same razor as an injector in a heartbeat, if I found one out in the wild.

dougr likes this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

They are not easy to come by in the wild or on the Bay. The PR injector is not a "sleeper" razor. Too many people know its qualities and quality!

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I don't even look for them on eBay anymore. The prices are getting ridiculous...and on that note, I do have a "sleeper" razor, though it's starting to gain notoriety. The first round of the Shake Sharp razor pass around is drawing to a close because two members had to withdraw and one ended up purchasing a shake sharp before his turn came around. I would like to open it up to five more people to try. There are four spots still open, and I figured I would give the single edge guys (and gals) first crack at it. Send me a PM if you are interested in joining.

6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I haven't posted here for a while, and I have two things to say...
    1: Man is this still a party?? Lets get the Single Edges and Injectors back out and start partying....The holiday season is starting and if I know one thing about Injectors and SE's is that they are hard core fun...But a word to the wise...Sometimes Lather Catchers and Schick Repeaters can be hard to control...Once they get used they don't like to give up to the rotation for even a day...LOL.
    2. :Best wishes to fellow Injectorite GDCarrington...hope all is going well, you have my prayers and all my best wishes...Looking forward to seeing you back in the saddle....

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. white_feather

I have done nothing but use SE's for at least the past week and I need another one although I already have a 1912, 1924 and a OCMM. I want to get a 1912 in the new old stock condition like my MM is, cost being no object but it will be a few weeks before I am ready to do that. I actually am trying to find a part time job in my neighborhood where I can work in order to afford to buy a razor whenever I want and also to donate 10% of each paycheck to a local church in the form of food since they have helped me out in the past.

GDCarrington and Bird Lives like this.
  8. white_feather

I started using this Lectric-Shave as a preshave and it works wonders. I forgot to use it yesterday and my shave sucked and I also got a horrible rash on my neck. I switched things up a bit and shaved my brain bucket with a Merkur 1904 DE. That was nothing compared to what I can do with a SE. I am going to do some more experiments over the next few weeks and if things don't pan out then I am going all SE from that point on.

Bird Lives likes this.
  9. Bird Lives

The experiments are so much fun....most of the time anyways...
    For me DE's were an experiment as I grew up in a "Hard-Core" Schick Injector House...;) And back in the day; a failed experiment...But now with the technical help; and hardware; I've picked up around here, I get great shaves from my current DE's aswell...Thanks TSD...;)

10. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

I have been fortunate enough to be included in a 'Cobra Classic' International Tour (for once a Tour around the Globe, not just one continent ;-). And this gorgeous injector-style SE has arrived here in Singapore from far-away Chile last week.

So, first shave was on Saturday, I loaded a Feather Professional blade into the Cobra. Sure enough, the loading mechanism is quite different from a normal Injector. No need to even touch the blade when loading the latter, whereas the former needs to be fed manually, literally. Anyway, this did not deter me as I was actually very eager to take that Baby for a spin. And oh Boy, she did not disappoint. I did not need much of a learning curve, despite the head (and the blade) being significantly wider (longer) than a regular-sized Injector. The razor itself is quite heavy and the Feather Professional, a blade well known to those who use and like the Artist Club "Injector" Straights, also by Feather, does not need an introduction. Just a short note, or rather an observation, on the side: I find those blades noticeably sharper AND smoother than the (my) regular Feather FH-10.

I have no had 2 shaves with that razor, one last Saturday and one today, both times with about 30-hours-stubble, which is really more like sandpaper (or like Sandy: Sandy, the famed toilet paper for real men ;-). And those 2 shaves were really enjoyable. I have the razor another 4 days and am looking forward to see how it performs with different shave soaps as well as loading it with the KAI blade, maybe...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. Bird Lives

Great review and pictures....Love it !!
    Man she is a beauty isn't she ? Looking forwaqrd to your further observations....Thanks

Smoothy and GDCarrington like this.
  12. Smoothy

:signs001:
    Yes, she is a Beauty! Although not the easiest to hold. Actually, let me rephrase that - she is easy to hold but not as 'naturally comfortable' as many other razors I have had due to the shape of the handle design, going from the beautifully rounded and textured front to the wide flat and very slippery back. I can still hold her well enough to shave, obvioulsy, but I have to focus more on it. Still, I am seriously contemplating getting one instead of living off a borrowed one for a week ;)

Today I have replaced the Feather Professional with the KAI Captain Titan Mild. The KAI is definitely a touch milder, because whereas the Feather kills the stubble silently, there is more of a slight outcry of resistance when the KAI goes to work. If I get this razor, I'll get the Feather blades too, nothing else.

13. puros_bran

puros_bran Active Member

Ok.. give me the cliff notes version.

Concerning SE.

Pros/cons.
    Where to buy
    What to buy..

I'll go back to the OP and start reading but I want a cheat sheet when I make it back to this point. ;)

14. Bird Lives

Schick Injector-rated most aggressive to mildest:E-G-I-J (pretty mild)-L (mildest)...But because of the nature of the beast, it is easy to get close shaves with all these injectors...The design is close to using a straight razor on a handle, but because the angle is built it the learning curve is a non-event...
    For me they all shave GREAT !! So I picked the one that my Pop used and am perfectly content...Start with one that moves you aestheticly or is easiest to get...Unless you have one of those 'Chuck Norris Barbed-Wire' beards...Then go with either an E or G type...:happy097:

Gem Lather Catcher-for the other type SE...LC's look so hip...it will raise the appearence of your bathroom to a whole new level...;)

I highly recommend buying from someone here at the Den...

15. puros_bran

puros_bran Active Member

Right. I got burned on the bay a few years back when I first started with DE. I've pretty much learned all I am qualified to buy anywhere but a shave board is proraso and razor blades. Lol

So the letters indicate aggressiveness. Interesting.

Other than that $150 Cobra on classic shaving I haven't seen any new ones, so I assume its all vintage? (fine by me)

16. Bird Lives

Actually the letters were assigned later in a effort to tell them apart...and it was done chronologically, but the aggression factor seems to run parallel...
    As the newer styles came out they seemed to get a little less aggressive each time....

Check this link out: http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm

It will show you almost all the types...

17. puros_bran

puros_bran Active Member

Hey thanks. That's cool and.informative.

Several caught my eye, knowing the way my luck runs they are probably the rarest of rare. Lol

18. Smoothy

And along came the Fith shave with the Cobra:

[​IMG]

Martin de Candre scented shave soap, face lathered with the Semogue #1305, the Cobra loaded with the KAI Mild blade for 2 passes and finished off with the Logona Mann after shave. Not bad, although I definitely prefer the Feather blades. The difference between the 2 blades is quite noticeable, I find and the sharper Feather suits me more.

19. Bird Lives

Which ones?

20. Bird Lives

I find sharper blades suit me better in all my favorite razors....:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.