Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

:happy069: Ahhh, beachcombing in the tropic paradise of St. Conn....:eek:
    Actually, I used to live in New London a couple decades ago....Loved it! It seems like only yesterday, sending my beautiful little wife out to shovel our cars out of the snow-bank we called a driveway....:lam:

Jim99, twhite, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

February 19, 2017​
    Mongoose B2 with Triad Ti​
    Feather Pro Super (8)​
    Rubberset 400 #3 with WSP HWM​
    Route 66 Rum Runner​
    Captain’s Choice Bay Rum​
    [​IMG]

Another great 2 pass shave this morning. The Mongoose/Pro Super setup consistently delivers smooth close shaves. Hard to ask for more than that.

Jim99, MPF9, jimjo1031 and 4 others like this.
  3. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Sun 19th Feb
    Schick N3 & Schick Twin [ 7-Japan ]. This blade is holding up well and I had a lovely Sunday Shave, aided by a great lather from
    the Vitos Red croap.

IMG_1167.jpg

jimjo1031, Hodge, Robyflexx and 4 others like this.
  4. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Ah, you sir are far too kind, and don't sell yourself short, you reached Grand Master Poobah Ninja Level 11 many years ago! I'm still impressed with how you tracked down the history of the ER 1924.

I check in here every day looking to see if anything new has surfaced about these old jewels. I don't have any interest in the new designs so I just skip right on past them. I'm still rocking the usual suspects, yesterday was a GEM Push Button and today was an early ER 1914 with the same Treet blade both days. I probably use a Schlick adjustable injector more than any other it seems like.

I haven't heard from any of the guys from the other watering hole since it went out of business, I think they just rode off quietly into the sunset!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rufus T., Jim99, Bird Lives and 7 others like this.
  5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

We had that for two days and now cold again.....crazy winter.

Karl G, Robyflexx and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Found nirvana with the M3 adjustable this morning...:D 3 passes and a wee bit of buffing along the jaw line and....crazy good dolphin smooth. The handle will keep it from being my favorite Schick, its just too long for my liking. Its got the blade safety switch option, so will become my go to travel razor though.
    [​IMG]

jimjo1031, Herm2502, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Another great shave with the DE'd Supply. If like me you find the SE mild for your taste this hack with the single dot plate gets my strong recommendation. Shaves as close as anything I've got and while not as smooth as the turbo Shake Sharp it's a no risk high reward shave.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

jimjo1031, Herm2502, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I am curious: is there an injector you find more aggressive? I find it interesting how much shaving styles must come into play with individuals. When I see people say this is a mild razor, it always makes me wonder what we are comparing it to. I get closer, easier shaves with the Supply than any injector I have ever used, and I have pretty much tried them all except the repeaters. The only injector I feel is close, is the E. (edit - or the PAL adjustable)

On the flip side, I hear people talk about how efficient the Gem style razors are, and while I never tried any of the more exotic ones, I owned a half dozen or so of them, and never once felt like I was holding much of a razor. But, I also felt like the blades sucked, and if a guy could just get a good blade for one it would be different.

When it comes to SE razors, the YMMV factor, even among experienced shavers, is surprisingly big. Bigger than DE, IMO.

Rufus T., clint64, jmudrick and 2 others like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

When I'm talking about mild I'm talking about smoothness, safety, lack of feedback and blade feel, not efficiency. In those terms perhaps only the O is as mild as the Supply (I don't own J or L models to compare).

Using an injector blade in the SE I get a perfectly good (if not the best) close shave but I don't much enjoy its lack of feedback. This is true even with a trimmed AC blade for me. I get a closer shave with the DE blade (if not a huge difference) along with a lot of feedback which combines to make a more enjoyable shave for me.

My judgements about efficiency are based on my head shave as I shave daily and can get a BBS shave on my face using most anything.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Rufus T., MPF9, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

Okay, I gotcha. I totally get that. In general, that is probably my only real complaint about injectors as a platform: lack of blade feel. It is perhaps no wonder that I have gravitated towards Feather blades in Kai Captain razors.

Thanks.

Rufus T., Karl G, Robyflexx and 2 others like this.
  11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Monday SOTD

After a week with the Black Hawk I'm staying on the injector train. Next up, in honor of Roby, the PAL injector. Along with the WD Silvertip and Maggard London Barbershop it should be a good shave.
    20170219_184356.jpg

HERM

12. Herm2502

Wow! YMMV must really apply here. I find the blades in injectors extremely evident. I'll use then, but the "feel" of that blade is always there, uncomfortably so. IMO

HERM

13. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Excellent Herm! Enjoy brother! :transport022: :)

14. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

I just finished a week using ATT SE. This morning I used the Black Hawk for the first time. The results we similar but the aluminum Black Hawk weight is less than the weight of the head on the Stainless Steel ATT SE.

Figure I'll give the Black Hawk a week to prove itself and then go back and try the Supply Provisions Injector again. First few shaves with the Supply Injector have not yielded g

15. Herm2502

You're right, the Hawk is very, very light. I found I got the best results mostly holding it near the tip of the handle, farthest from the head. That forced a light touch. Nice shave, but not amazingly so. DFS, but no BBS. I found the angle difficult to maintain since the top is tough to feel, it's very slick. Check out Mantic59's review on his website.

HERM

16. PickledNorthern

I didn't care much for the Hawk. It is a good design, and machined just fine, but it is so light it feels like bakelight. With a Super and a long heavy handle I got good shaves from it, but it just wasn't for me. The stainless model, with some heft might be a good razor, for anyone willing to play the game to get one.

17. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Reading Hoosier Trooper's post on another site when I first got hooked led me to my first razor purchase - a nice Clog-Pruf Micro Matic. I also have to say a thread of his and pictures of a wild find of a prototype adjustable SE made by Gillette (if memory serves me correctly) is one of the most intriguing ones I've ever come across on any forum. Here's to @HoosierTrooper :eatdrink047:

Rufus T., twhite, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  18. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Nice to hear from one of the Mainstays of TOST.

The Demise of TOST was rather a disaster as all that info on Vintage SE/Injectors appears to have been lost. I have tried some of the
    modern SEs, and find the PAL adjustable gives them a run for their money.

Thanks to Tost, I seem to have ended up with most ER models of the Streamline, no Gem Though. Good to see you around.
    Mike B

19. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Mon. 2/20/17

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

jimjo1031, PLAla, Hodge and 4 others like this.
  20. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Mon 20th Feb.

Last week loaded up a Schick I 1 with a single blade rather than the Twin , I had planned to use. This morning ejected that blade and replaced it with a Twin , planning to use it for todays Shave.

However, I thought best not waste this expensive Japanese blade, so loaded it into a Schick C2, which I had used before but was not happy as I thought the bladed been spoilt during loading. Taking both razors to the Bathroom , I started the Shave with the C2. It is quite aggressive with lots of blade awareness, but found it to be smoother than the much vaunted E2.

Am extremely pleased that I have given the C2 a second chance, it delivered a first class Shave with an all round close finish that IMHO surpasses those that can be achieved with the modern Schicks, using a single blade. Will have to use it again to confirm whether or not it does rank above the E2 in my ranking list.

IMG_1168.jpg

Rufus T., jimjo1031, PLAla and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.