Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I had loaned a few SE razors out to a close friend to see if he or his son would like to keep any...I asked him for whatever they weren't going to use, to give back and I would pif to someone who would use. The other day he returned a very pristine GEM Feather Weight, and I was preparing to send it, but thought I'd take it for a last spin.

Got one of those "BEST SHAVES OF MY LIFE" type shaves. You know, I always dug these, but thought they needed that one more extra pass to get the same shave I would get from one of my all time favs. I do remember comparing them to my favorite injectors...BINGO!

The night before last I got a shave very much like that from my English PAL Injecto-matic!!!
    Dare I say every bit as good!

So today I started a shave off..Left Side OCMM......Right Side Feather Weight
    After first pass, identicle....if anything the right side was a tad closer. I did do a little unconscious buffing on that side because this F-W was so low impact! Finished shave with F-W and results every bit as good as night before!

Bottom line...Feather Weight moves from USPS box to top tier! This one might become the subject of a 30 day focus...Just how low impact a perfect 2 pass BBS can be..... I'll include pics later...

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

February 27, 2017​
    AlumiGoose V1 with Triad SS​
    Feather Pro (2)​
    Rudy Vey Rover with TGN Finest​
    Reef Point Dragon’s Blood​
    [​IMG]

Billyfergie, jimjo1031, Jim99 and 6 others like this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD February 27, 2017

Blade: Chinese Schick
    Razor: Schick I1 injector
    Brush: Two band badger with Surrey handle
    Lather: C.O. Bigelow shave cream
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Barbasol Pacific Rush, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, touch-up

Nice shave with the Schick I1 this morning. Two days of whiskers were taken care of with ease. The Schick injectors are hard to beat in terms of comfort and simplicity. I really enjoy them.

Have a great day!

SOTD 2-27-17.JPG

Billyfergie, Karl G, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Superb beard and head shave with the Hussy. Mild but no problem going ATG on toughest stubble. Win.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Billyfergie, Karl G, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Your CT should be updated to "SE Enabler" :D I just about had my RAD under control....:angry019: now I'm collecting Gem razors all of a sudden.....

Bird Lives, Karl G, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  6. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

It's my favourite patent day today. 105 years ago today, August W. Scheuber was granted the patent for the 1912.
    As the handle design is not part of the patent, I took the liberty to leave my modern stainless steel handle on my 1912 head and shaved in style:
    [​IMG]

Karl G, clint64, Herm2502 and 6 others like this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gem G-Bar Razor
    Personna Gem Blade
    GW 26mm Synthetic Brush
    Love My Skin Spearmint Soap
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Lucky Tiger Aspen After Shave

a.jpg

Billyfergie, Jim99, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  8. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Mon 27th Feb
    A busy day doing last minute shopping ,prior to packing to go on holiday . Got so far behind that I have just had my first evening Shave in 30+ years.

General with S/S Handle + Feather Pro [ 4 ] - so good might not have to one tomorrow :).

PAL Injecto-Matic packed as Travel Razor. :happy096:

IMG_1184.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Billyfergie, Jim99, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  9. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Great ads for sure, Lloyd! I've never seen the set from 1948, that actually puts its production a little earlier than I thought. I've always thought the Feather Weight was an interesting razor because I think it was ASR's attempt to "modernize" their lineup. The Micromatic had been in production for about twenty years in its various models and was probably starting to look a little old fashioned so it seems logical that the engineers decided to come up with something a little sleeker and more modern looking. Here's an ad from 1954 where it's referred to as a V-edge.
    [​IMG]

The Push-Button came out sometime in 1958, as can be seen in the ad below, so I think it's safe to say the Feather Weight was the current model ASR was cranking out when you and I were still just twinkles in our dads eyes!

[​IMG]

cliffb599, Jim99, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  10. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

GEM Safety Razor Corp. Damaskeene
    GEM/Personna blade
    Strong Set boar brush
    Williams puck with a squirt of AoS Sandalwood cream
    Last of the Nivea Sensitive Cooling balm
    [​IMG]

As good as it gets.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Herm2502, Jim99, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  11. Bird Lives

I think you're right...So our Pop's eyes were twinkling around the same time Mickey Mantle was using the Feather Weight to get to first base...:happy097:

I couldn't be happier...I think the Feather Weight is a fine razor to call my birth year razor...even though I know my Pop was using a Schick when I was born...This FW shaves just as good as my schicks...less aggressive than my E or G types but just as close...only in a low impact way of getting it done...:happy108:

I like the push button too...what a cool mechanism! First one I picked up was at the Seattle shave con 2 years ago...I couldn't put it down, I just kept walking around clicking it open and shut...open and shut....GEM aways was ahead of the curve!

MPF9, Karl G, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  12. Bird Lives

:lam: :happy102:

13. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Tuesday will be the maiden voyage with my OCMM :D

Karl G, Herm2502, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I know the 50th Anniversary being 1948 makes sense..And yet the October 1950 ad still describes the Feather Weight as "New" and while it doesn't preclude an earlier Feather Weight issue the Bullet Tip was still being advertised as of early 1950.

An alternative theory would have the 50th Anniversary edition be issued in 1956, beng 50 years from the founding of the merged Personna American Safety Razor Company. The lack of advertising for a "new" product in 1948 makes me suspicious, as does the idea that you'd have an Anniversary Edition of a product at its introduction. Then again it does say "New" on the Anniversary Special as well.

Perhaps some advertising for the Anniversary Edition will surface.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  15. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Tue. 2/28/17

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

MPF9, Karl G, Herm2502 and 4 others like this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

February 28, 2017​
    AlumiGoose V1 with Triad SS​
    Feather Pro (3)​
    Rudy Vey Rover with TGN Finest​
    Reef Point Dragon’s Blood​
    [​IMG]

MPF9, Karl G, Hodge and 4 others like this.
  17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I had time for a photo this morning and took a shot of my Schick E. Paired up with a Personna blade, Chiseled Face and a Stirling synthetic brush, I had a BBS shave!

Hey @Billyfergie , is this an E2?

IMG_2244.jpg

clint64, Karl G, Hodge and 3 others like this.
  18. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I Cant See the Underside or the Comb..If it Has a Smooth Comb its a Type E 2..The Type E 3 & Later Ones have a Deep Ridged Comb the Same as the G Type..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

clint64, Karl G, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Thanks Billy. It has the smooth comb, so it's an E2. This is one fine razor, gives great shaves and is one of my top five razors!

:cool:

clint64, Billyfergie and Robyflexx like this.
  20. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Ooo, the PAL has gone to the dark side!

HERM

clint64, Karl G, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.