Institut Karite After Shave Balm

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by HolyRollah, Mar 1, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Certain products comes along in the shaving community that develop a curiously strong and dedicated following. We see this often in all aspects of the shaving product world with allegiances made to a certain brand of razor, or soap, or brush. When it comes to post-shave products, the same situation occurs: users swear by a certain brand or fragrance, and become almost cultish in their product allegiance. One such product, an aftershave balm—touted highly by it’s users due to the high shea butter content—is Institut Karite from Paris.

[​IMG]

I recently pick up a bottle of this highly-regarded after shave balm. I have read many positive comments concerning this product on various shaving forums and looked forward to finally giving the balm a try.

The Initial Balm Shell
    I discovered two things about this product: 1) it appears to be difficult for vendors to keep in stock, 2) and it is pricey. For a 250ml/8.45fl.oz bottle, you’ll pay anywhere from $25 to $32 US—plus shipping.
    Now Institut Karite is still less costly than other pricey balms (L’Occitan shea butter balm, $34/2.5oz, Art of Shaving balm, $40/3.4oz), but it is still nearly three times the cost of other post-shave creams and balms on the market today.

The most prominent feature Institut Karite promotes about their product line is the generous use of shea butter. I am quite familiar with the benefits of shea butter for skin care, and I use it daily in creams. Institut Karite goes further to unequivocally state on their website:

Institut Karité Paris® is unique thanks to :
    • An active principle transversal to all the line, simple and natural. (something was obviously lost in the website translation from French)
    • A high concentration of Shea Butter.
    • Perfumes of the best quality.

So, products made high in shea butter and quality perfumes? Sounds promising! However, if you look at the list of ingredients in the aftershave balm, you best have some experience in cosmetics or a degree in chemistry to understand many of the THIRTY-THREE ingredients that are in this aftershave balm.

Ingredients listed in Institut Karite aftershave balm, and their purpose:

WATER
    MINERAL OIL
    GLYCERIN moisturizer
    PEG-7 GLYCERYL COCOATE lubricant, increases lubricity
    SHEA BUTTER moisturizer, hydrater
    PHENOXYETHANOL - bactercide, a preservative
    FRAGRANCE
    POLYACRYLAMIDE primarily used as a binder, film former and thickener
    PEG-12 DIMETHICONE promote spreadability, lubrication, skin conditioning agent
    ACRYLATES/C10-30 ALKYL ACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER thickener, stabilizer
    C13-14 ISOPARAFFIN an emollient, thickening agent
    TRIETHANOLAMINE A pH balancer
    METHYLPARABEN a preservative
    ALLANTOIN moisturizing effect
    HEXYL CINNAMAL a fragrance additive
    LAURETH-7 surfactant, emulsifying agent
    DISODIUM EDTA a preservative, chelator and stabilizer
    ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE adds fragrance
    CETEARYL GLUCOSIDE an emulsifier, helps skin retain moisture
    SWEET ALMOND OIL lubricant
    BUTYLPARABEN preservative
    ETHYLPARABEN preservative
    CITRONELLOL fragrance, floral smell
    ISOBUTYLPARABEN preservative
    PROPYLPARABEN preservative
    HYDROXYCITRONELLAL fragrance, floral smell
    BENZOIC ACID preservative
    GLYCERYL STEARATE SE a lubricant
    XANTHAN GUM increases in the viscosity of a liquid
    CINNAMYL ALCOHOL naturally occurring fragrance
    LINALOOL floral fragrance
    DEHYDROACETIC ACID preservative
    POLYAMINOPROPYL BIGUANIDE a disinfectant and a preservative
    SODIUM HYDROXIDE Ph adjuster

I do not believe this long list is uncommon in the cosmetic/lotion industry, nor is Insitiute Karite unique in using such a wide array of preservatives, stabilizers, etc. Shea butter is listed as the fourth ingredient, and the labels claims ‘25% shea butter’ composition.
    There’s simply a whole lot of other ‘stuff’ in that remaining 75%!

“A Balm by any other name would smell as sweet…”
    Upon opening the bottle and taking a sniff, my first impression of the scent is…it smells of rose-scented hand cream. Not what I was expecting for a ‘manly’ balm. Those French….but I digress. The balm is a thick, but easily spreadable white cream that initially feels a bit greasy on the fingers but is rapidly absorbed into the skin (thanks, Shea!).

Post shave: with my face still tingling from an extremely close straight razor shave with methol lather, I applied a generous dab of the balm into each palm. I rubbed the balm thoroughly around my jawline, cheeks and throat. Very cool feeling and SLICK! This initial use yielded a comfortable, soothing effect on my entire face. Very pleasing. The shiney face I initially had upon the application settled down a bit as my skin absorbed the balm with some gentle rubbing.

An hour or so after the shave and balm use, I found my wife and asked for her to ‘take a sniff’ of the new balm I had on. Post-sniff, she chuckled and said, “You smell like roses….” Really? She said it wasn’t “…strong or overwhelmingly flowery, but ‘nice’..”

Several hours post-shave, my face still felt great. Not dry (a common occurrance), nor greasy. With most commercially-made balms, I always feel the need to reapply more at a later time as my skin is quite sensitive to climatic changes and tends to quickly dry. Not so with this balm. Hours later, my face feels as soft and smooth as it did when I initially applied the Institut Karite.

Overall, I do like this product. The ‘rose’ scent may not be my favorite choice for masculine scents (check out Heartwood by Wm Neumann if you wish a manly-smelling balm!), but it is subtle on application. One can certainly find cheaper alternatives in skin balms (or make some yourself!), but I was impressed by the overall soothing performance of this balm. One good application in the morning lasts me the day, keeping my skin feeling great. I have no reservations on recommending it for those who really need a quality long-lasting balm.

Tattoobob, ObiDon, Slow Joe and 5 others like this.
  2. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Excellent review. I've heard that parabens are not so good for us... didn't Proraso reformulate there whole line to remove them?

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Here's the FDA's observations on Parabens…
    Parabens

"...FDA believes that at the present time there is no reason for consumers to be concerned about the use of cosmetics containing parabens. However, the agency will continue to evaluate new data in this area.

Tdmsu likes this.
  4. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

Institut Karite is one of my favorites and in my rotation. I only use balms and find it runny in comparison to many. I also find a small dab usually does it for me. A little product goes a long ways. My sense of smell is not strong. The rose scent must be subtle. More important, the ladies aren't complaining ;)

Nice review Kevin.

5. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Kevin
    Another great and well written review, I think I might try some of this stuff.
    Thanks for another excellent review.

HolyRollah likes this.
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great review. Thanks.

HolyRollah likes this.
  7. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Thanks for a great review.

HolyRollah likes this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice review. I haven't used the balm, but have gone through a couple pucks of the shave soap. It works great, but I think it is a bit powdery. Not my favorite rose, but a nice product overall.

HolyRollah likes this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Great review.

HolyRollah likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks, all.
    Since I wrote this review in early March, I have about finished this bottle of balm and plan on ordering another soon. Good stuff!
    Note: my wife keeps stealing some to it. no wonder the bottle went quick...;)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  11. PatrickA51

Don't complain :smiley respect: "She Who Must be Obeyed" :smiley respect:put's up with all of your Shenanigans" :shocked003:

ObiDon likes this.
  12. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I'm so relieved the government is watching over me.:angry021:

PatrickA51 likes this.
  13. PatrickA51

Isn't it heart warming to know it was put together by geniuses and is now run by idiot's.:angry019:

ObiDon likes this.
  14. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Im thinking about replacing my Go2 Nivea sensitive aftershave balm with something else, this sounds VERY good... But I'm a little hesitant about the scent. How strong is it? =)

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I personally don't find the scent overpowering or too strong. My wife doesn't either. I find her actually stealing some of mine so I bought her a matching bottle of the balm. Mild scent, but probably bit stronger than Nivea.

Omelmad likes this.
  16. Omelmad

It sounds like a very good balm but i want something that doesnt clash with aftershaves. Does the scent last a long time?

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I would not suggest pairing this balm with another aftershave as the fragrances—subtle as it may be— would clash. I tend to use balms alone or aftershaves, but not together.

Omelmad likes this.
  18. Omelmad

Hmm.. This is what I'm trying to avoid =\.

It's to bad I can't sample it in a physical store here in Sweden. I actually thought this would be what I was looking for. The search continues