Interest in a Hone Passaround? International.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by joamo, May 13, 2018.

1. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to let everyone know, I received the Stone in the mail today. It’s a nice looking stone. My plan is to touch up some razors over the holiday weekend on it.

joamo and DaltonGang like this.
  2. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

I guess i will need a bit more patience, big ocean inbetween!

joamo likes this.
  3. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Sioux has arrived!

A small baud, but big enough to hold a razor!
    The collor reminds me of the pink granite from Egypt, but without the inclusions.
    There are a few lines/ cracks in the stone, but not disturbing.
    The stone is hard.

The stone is flattend, the edges are rounded slightly.

First fast impressions on a few old razors without scales:

As finisher the stone is slow, there is little swarf. But it does something!
    The edge seems soft.

On the other hand, with pressure the stone picks up after a 400 grit diamond,... that shows potential!

DaltonGang and joamo like this.
  4. Brickman301

Ok so I got a chance to use this stone. It’s going to take some time getting used to it. The closest thing in size to this stone that I’ve used before is a barbers hone. As I’ve posted, until now I’ve been using lapping films, and the barbers hone. This stone helped me finally get a problem razor, to shave ready. It seemed to work slow, but gave a really smooth edge. I will definitely be using this stone a lot in the future, and will post more about it. Thanks again joamo!

DaltonGang, joamo and Arnout like this.
  5. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

I am still trying to figure out the stone, but some things already.

The speed of the stone increases drastic when the surface is renewed. This works great with a dmt 1200.
    During the honing, the abrasive in the stone becomes dull, turning the stone in a slow, soft polisher.

I set a bevel on a 1200 card, used that card to make slurry on the sioux, and started refining the bevel.
    The size of the stone asks strange strokes and makes reading the water difficult, biut it wordkks.
    After a while the stone polishes more than it sharpesns and the finish is soft, a few strokes on the rear of the stone made it even softer.
    Without slurry the stone becomes extremely slow.

joamo likes this.
  6. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

How are the shaves with the edge?

I may have a source for a bigger parent stone. I wont go into production on it, but a longer stone would be very nice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    A touch up on a restored areuka.
    I didnt make new slurry on the stone as the razor was still pretty ok.

The shave was fine, soft but not supersoft, sharp, but i cant get it really supersharp,...
    I would say inbetween the dragon tongue and lynn melynlyn.tong

But i can imagine a few other recepies more like jnat progression,...

joamo likes this.
  8. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

How are the edges comparing to what you get with film?

9. Brickman301

Ok, I’ll try to answer you, as best as I can.
    It seems as if the edge is softer, with is a good thing. The films seem to put on a harsher edge, that I really have to strop a lot to calm it down. I didn’t have to do this to the blade after I used this stone. In fact, because I wanted to check how well the stone worked, I didn’t strop the blade at all before I shaved. Hopefully, I’ll get a chance this weekend to play with it some more, but so far I like it.

10. Brickman301

Just used this stone again tonight. The other times I’ve used it I only used the slurry side, with slurry. Since I was only touching up 3 blades tonight I used the polished side with straight mineral oil. All 3 razors, were pulling just a bit, the last time I used them. The stone seemed to work really well, it brought the edges right back. All 3 could pass the hanging hair test, on the entire length of the blade. Tomorrow, I’ll use one of the blades to shave with, and report back.

joamo and DaltonGang like this.
  11. Brickman301

Here’s a picture of the 3 razors I touched up last night on this stone. As promised I just finished shaving with one of them, my Russian razor. The stone worked great, the razor is no longer pulling and got me BBS. I think I’m finally getting used to the size of this stone. I believe that’s the biggest learning curve for me. I just picked up a bunch of razors yesterday, and I will use this stone to finish them, and report back. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaltonGang likes this.
  12. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Very good, I'm glad it's working for you!

Brickman301 likes this.
  13. Brickman301

Thanks. its been fun learning on it.

14. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

I played a bit with other stones as slurrystone after a 5k, esher slurry and japanse nagura both work pretty good. The result is softer on slurry than the dmt.

The only thing wIth the stone is the size, it is a tad to short to give a fluent x stroke,.. otherwise worth cutting another!

Brickman301 and joamo like this.