Iridium Super Discontinued?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Everett, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

I just now found out that these blades have been discontinued, and I almost cried, seriously. I love these blades. How long have they been out of production, and how come I didn't know about this?

2. mctmatt

mctmatt New Member

I think these blades went out of production in 2009 or 2010. They were a great blade and you might want to try the Polsilver blade that is manufactured in Russian plant. The Russian Polsilver blade is made by the same company that made the Iridium and many believe it to be the same blade. Polsilver is also manufactured in either Turkey, or Pakistan but most advise buying the Russian.

DLreno likes this.
  3. Everett

Bummer. I bought a pack from West Coast Shaving a year and a bit ago, and thought nothing of it. Ive been enjoying em, but now I'm down to a couple. Interested in getting 50-100, but that may wait until after christmas. I suppose they will just get harder and harder to find from here on out.

I'll take a look at the Russian Polsilver, thanks for the suggestion.

4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

They went out Sept-Oct. of 2010

5. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Polsilvers are fantastic. If they're not the same as Iridiums, they're awfully close and at least as good.

DLreno likes this.
  6. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I am down to my last one or 2 Iridiums too. Excellent blade. I will try the Russian Polsilvers. Good tip.

7. mctmatt

mctmatt New Member

I am really becoming a big fan of blades manufactured in Russia. I just recently tried the Voskhod and it is now one of my favorite blades. I also like the Gillette's in the Yellow and Blue pack, and the Astra super platinums.

8. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

FYI - be careful about buying Irridiums on auction sites...verify authenticity before purchasing! There are fake ones out there (I was the unfortunate recipient of some last year).

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That may have caused Gillette and Petersburg Products International to discontinue the brand, to prevent brand reputation erosion.

10. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I bought one pack of Iridiums a couple of years back when I was building up samples of everything. Still haven't gotten to them, but I've moved them to the front of the line for the next time a DE comes up in the rotation. I kind of hope they aren't all that great if they have been discontinued.:biggrin: Luckily I've got several DE brands I like.

11. Everett

You and me both. I was looking at buying some 7 O'clock yellows and Voskhods when I figured out that the Iridiums were discontinued. Also had a mighty fine shave with an Astra SP tonight. I suppose there are plenty of other good brands out there as well. I would just like to pick up a few more packs of Iridiums before they are completely gone.

12. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Yeah... don't buy the Yellow 7 O'clocks if you liked Iridiums.... Rapira's are much closer to an Iridium than these; haven't tried the Polsilvers to verify for myself.

13. It 'was a great loss to the world of shaving! The polsilver, are very close to Iridium, but there 'to say that this speculation, it is' the price is soo high ...