Is a heavier blade the answer?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Alohashirt, Aug 6, 2014.

1. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

For the most part yes. Not including some vintage blades of various thicknesses. I could swear modern Dorco's are thinner than other modern DE blades but I have no microscopic ruler to confirm this. The difference in weight would be negligible anyways. I think the OP is just getting confused because of the name "Feather." There are blades called "Laser" but they contain no more lasers than any other DE blade.:eatdrink013:

BigMark likes this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I see you were off to a very rocky start, but it looks like you are settling in. I am glad to hear that. Welcome to wet-shaving. I have been shaving with my Schick Eversharp injector razor for the last week. As it was suggested, this may be something you may want to look at.
    welcome.jpg

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It is good to see that you are getting better at this. But once you have been DE shaving a while, you may want to re-visit some brands of blades that didn't work so well, at the start. As your technique changes, your blade preference may change as well.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

To me it sounds like buttering toast.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  5. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I call it the "sweet, sweet, scritch".

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  6. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Bingo...

7. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

You just aren't going to get better advice than you've received here.
    They are giving you the gold!

Welcome aboard Alohashirt! :signs046:

Bobcat likes this.
  8. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I shave with a straight now, but first started with DE's after reading threads on TSD. I had all sorts of challenges, but with all the help from people here got through to the other side. I still occasionally will touchup my shave with a DE. I think a heavier handle does make a difference for a more efficient shave where you will not use too much pressure.

I also agree that SE's are even better and easier to learn and come very close to a straight razor shave result.

Bristle Me and fram773 like this.
  9. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

The shave den also has blade sample packs with a variety of blades.
    Take care.

Bristle Me likes this.
  10. mxsloan

mxsloan Member

I agree start with a sample pack. I been wet shaving for maybe 3 weeks now and the blade makes a difference. I used a sample pack with my feather popular and was getting the opposite. I talked to the guys at my local shop and got a sample of persona blades and I've been good. My razor is more of a saftey razor wiht minimum blade exposure so I needed a sharper blade to get a decent shave. Now I'm building my technique. good luck. Shave on man shave on.......