Is Tabac a barbershop scent?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Badgerstate, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Well, is it? Its definetly an old man scent but would you call it a, "barbershop" scent?

PLAla likes this.
  2. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

⬆⬆⬆
    Did he just call me an old man?
    :duel:

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Not to my nose, it's not.

crackstar likes this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Powder and Tobacco Blossom EO, very European/English. Not a Barber shop scent, but similar to the classic Marlborough from DR Harris.

Keithmax, gorgo2, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I think Tabac is very old-school European. Definitely a German barbershop-type scent.

Eeyore, Paul Turner, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  6. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Tabac is an old-school classic scent. I've read that some classify it as a fougere, but I don't know if that works or not.

Barbershop is a subjective thing - based on what products your first barber used. My Dad took me to his barber, who used Aqua Velva mostly, and not Pinaud Clubman, so barbershop to me is something like AV. I bet many barbers in Germany used or still use Tabac, so for them it certainly would be a barbershop scent.

Keithmax, PLAla, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  7. crackstar

I got shaved a few times in Germany but:

They used Palmolive Classic cream and then, Tabac aftershave! Lolllllll

8. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Sakrileg! Ich habe Palmolive nie benutzt, aber das scheint wie eine dumme Sache zu tun! Warum gehst du nicht so gut?
    ;)

9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I dunno, but I resemble that remark!
    :angry019: Get off my lawn!

Keithmax, brit, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

All great answers.
    My barbers always used pinaud clubman. That is, and will always be, the quintessential Barbershop scent for me. I am sure there are many men in Germany that grew up on tabac and have that same sensibility towards that, however.

From what I have always read and heard, the specific notes that actually constitute a "barbershop" scent seem elusive. Everyone seems to think it is powdery with some citrus or leather, but no one seems to agree exactly. I think it just has more to do with what scent your barber used when you were growing up.

11. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

How do you know what I smell like!

RyX, crackstar and Primotenore like this.
  12. crackstar

Nicht sakrileg, aber Skandal - nur ein Witz!

Tdmsu likes this.
  13. crackstar

Auch wollte ich Dir sagen dass Palmolive eine Lieblingscreme ist. Ich mag es weil der Schaum, Geruch, und Hautpflege fantastisch sind! :)

Paul Turner and Tdmsu like this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

With as many different scents out there that are labeled "Barbershop Scent", sure, why not?

PickledNorthern, RyX and crackstar like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Maybe 'old barber' scent may be more definitive. :D
    I like the soap; just not the scent.

Keithmax and crackstar like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Culturally defined, to be sure.

Keithmax and Tdmsu like this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Ask 50 different Gents how they feel about Tabac. You'll get 50 different answers.
    I like it. I'll use it today.

Tdmsu and RetLEO-07 like this.
  18. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Not at any barbershop I've been to! Clubman Pinaud is "the" barbershop scent IMO. I couldn't describe what it smells like if you put a gun to my head, except to say it smells like the barbershop.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Per one fragrance review site:
    "Clubman by Pinaud Clubman is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men. The fragrance features citruses, herbal notes, spicy notes and oakmoss."

"Tabac by Maurer & Wirtz is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men. Tabac was launched in 1959. Top notes are aldehydes, lavender, neroli, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are carnation, sandalwood, orris root, jasmine, rose and pine tree needles; base notes are tonka bean, amber, musk, vanilla, oakmoss and tobacco.

Fougère: Meaning fern in French, built on a base of lavedner, coumarin, and oakmoss. Many men's fragrances belong to this family of fragrances, which is characterized by its sharp herbaceous and woody scent. Pronounced: foozh-air.

Personally, the only similarity between Tabac and Clubman that stands out to me is the 'talcum powder' fragrance both seem to have. Neither smell of the 'fougére-scented' soaps I use regularly.

Paul Turner, Keithmax, gorgo2 and 4 others like this.
  20. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Sometimes it reminds me of being in a walk in humidor, don't know why, but it does.

RaZorBurn123 and Tdmsu like this.