Is The Handle Of The Muhle R41 Too Light?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bill Halasyn, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Bill Halasyn

Bill Halasyn New Member

I recently bought a Muhle R41 razor. The handle looks very nice but, it seems a bit too light. Replacing the handle with a Weber or Ikon Bulldog handle seems to be the most popular fix to this issue. Another less expensive option would be to buy a Parker 24C and use the handle on the R41 head. This is the combo that I have been using and it looks and works great. The Parker handle has a good weight to it and matches the finish of the R41 better then a stainless steel handle. The Weber and the Ikon handles will cost you around $40.00. The Parker 24c sells for around $28.00 and it is a great razor. So if you want to add some weight to your R41 there are several good options to do so.

Weber handle : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...N=B007OUK5LI&linkCode=as2&tag=defensshoote-20

Ikon handle : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...N=B008X7897S&linkCode=as2&tag=defensshoote-20

Parker 24C : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...N=B00IDDW4Y6&linkCode=as2&tag=defensshoote-20
    [​IMG]
    Muhle R41 and Parker 24C

[​IMG]
    Muhle R41 Head using the Parker 24C handle

battle.munky likes this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is a nice fix.

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

4. Bill Halasyn

Bill Halasyn New Member

You are correct sir. That is also a good looking handle.

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have the Weber Bulldog on my R41. It's a perfect fit IMO. Yes the handle on the stock R41 is lite.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  6. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

If i shave with my R41 i put my Bulldog Handle on it. That's a very good combination for me.

crackstar and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The weight of the stock handle didn't bother me much, but the length did. I prefer a shorter handle and use the same Weber Bulldog for all my razors.

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes, the Mühle regular and Grande handles are light for their size. The razors are, however, well-balanced in their stock form.
    I have seen where people have pulled the top of the handle, filled the cavity with weight (ball bearings, bbs) and re-capped the handle. This resulted in adding some heft to the handle with altering the appearance without the cost of a new handle.
    I had an Ikon Bulldog II handle for a while and although it felt great both in weight and grip, the Ikons don't fit snugly to the Mühle threading.

I keep the stock handle on both the 2011 grande and one of the 2013 versions; on my other 2013 R41 is this 'weighty' AKASL custom handle I've really grown to love…
    [​IMG]

Hanzo likes this.
  9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I cut the hex end of a fencing bolt and epoxied into the handle of mine.

I think you could get used to it if left alone though, I just felt it was a bit of a mismatch. Like Rob Schneider dating a supermodel.

10. Bill Halasyn

Bill Halasyn New Member

How does the stock handle come apart?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Very carefully. I wrapped some towel around the end away from the head and gently wiggle-twisted it out. Tried it with my DE89 handle and couldn't get it to work and left some tool marks on that one so be careful.

You could probably aim some hot water over the shaft to make it easier to help the end pop out.

....fodder for OOC, I know ;)

12. Bill Halasyn

Bill Halasyn New Member

Does the handle tube separate from the treaded part at the top of the handle or does the bottom come off?

13. Bill Halasyn

Bill Halasyn New Member

I found this via a Google search.
    I do really like the look of the original handle so I think I may try this.

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

that's the info I was referring to. Here's the accompanying pic
    [​IMG]