Is there a trick to using Williams?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by omegapd, Feb 12, 2009.

1. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Tried my first puck of Williams this morning. Dang. Not good. It's very hard to get the right lather. I tried 3 times to figure it out and got nowhere. Too much water and the lather is way too thin. Less water and it turns more thick but sticky feeling. I finally just used some Noxzema foam and my mach 3 to save the shave. Worst shave of my life this morning...

Any tips other than throwing it away or using the thin watery lather as a pre-shave?

Thanks,

EW

2. djwurm

djwurm New Member

:eek:

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I love Williams .. used it yesterday morning as a matter of fact. I do the same thing with it that I do with any soap. usually use my VDh Boar with it. Wet the tips of the brush and swirl around to load it.. add a touch more water if needed then usually face lather. I never have trouble getting good lather from Williams.

Fuzzy

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Maybe soak the puck a bit before trying to lather it.

5. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

My method with Williams.....awe hell....will post pics.....

6. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Dry puck in a coffee mug.
    DSC01037.jpg
    Puck soaking in hot water with brush inside as well.
    DSC01038.jpg
    what shawn does while waiting for soap to soak.
    DSC01047.jpg
    lathered goodness.
    DSC01048.jpg

DSC01049.jpg

DSC01050.jpg

DSC01051.jpg

I admit.....you really have to use a badger brush to get a descent lather. I always use glycerine with Williams but I didnt this time. It really adds to the lather and the quality of the shave. I would also prefer to grate the puck down and pack it into a bowl of some sort to get the best loaded brush ever. Swirling it in a coffee mug really sucks. I will say the puck is stuck to bottom of the mug though:confused: I will be shaving with Williams tomorrow with no glycerine to see how things go.

edit: the mirrors arent as dirty as they look. Its the alcohol in the guy in the picture that makes it look bad;)

7. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

This guy is so drunk he's giving ME double vision!

8. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Niiiiiice...there's the Shawn we all know and love. :happy088

9. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I had to give you some ammo Shep! Like the classic Jimmy Buffett concert shirt;) I have 34 different concert shirts:eek:

10. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I couldn't get good lather with William's either. I blamed my hard water. BEST LATHER WINNER at my house so far: Kiss My Face, Moisture Shave. A member mentioned it in one of his posts (I can't remember who, dangit) I picked up a tube in town and it's niiiceeee.

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I actually found Williams comparable to MWF. Then again, I am not a big fan of MWF, but for $1 a puck, you definately get more than your money's worth.

I love the pic Shawn. :)

12. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

The flash kind of blocked out the T Shawn but I definitely saw a B&T.

KMF gets a lot of love from those of us who've tried it. Very cheap, very available, nice and slick, not temperamental about water. A very fine hidden gem of a product.

13. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Yeah shep,
    Its backward too so that might be tough:happy102

14. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Thanks for the replies all. Will try it again in the morning with a good soak before lathering and we'll see how it turns out. I'm determined to get it right. ;)

15. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I would honestly try face lathering as well. The lather on the brush doesnt appear thick but really does go on the face OK. Never a super thick lather though. Also.....try picking up some glycerine at wal mart....its a couple bucks. Add 8-10 drops and it really makes a helluva difference IMO. I added it to Williams and my C&E soaps which are drying to me.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have rather hard water at the Hutch.. but the Williams still works good. Practice practice practice. I think I could get a decent lather from Ivory soap though.

Fuzzy

17. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Yep, soaking the puck for a bit helped tremendously. I also squeezed out all the extra water in the brush before attempting to lather and that made the perfect combo of wet puck/dry brush water...

Thanks!

EW

18. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I'll revisit products as my skill improves. Maybe I'm just being too fussy!? Nahhhhh that would NEVER happen. So many things to try, So little time :sad024

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

We have been known to make lather even when we did not need to shave you know..test lather ...:D

Fuzzy

20. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Fuzzy,
    I had so much fun drinking and lathering Williams I forgot to use it today:( Maybe tomorrow!