Is this an Aristocrat???

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by CSL, Jan 12, 2011.

1. CSL

CSL Member

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Doesn't look like mine.

I think you're right about it being a NEW.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yeah, that is a NEW in an Aristocrat box.

4. CSL

CSL Member

So, do you think the high bidder didn't know that, or did they just feel a nice cond box was worth $50+ ???

Actually I would have liked to have the box - it's much nicer than the one that house my A'crat. Wouldn't have gone that high though.

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I dunno. I have a few boxes laying around in a bag, most are crusty, but I am a user, not a collector, so boxes mean nothing to me.

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Yup... looks like a NEW.... The case doesn't look bad, but I can't see well (glasses are fogged up at the moment from coming in from the snow).

Like others said, I am a user, not a collector. Now, if the 50+ razors in my cabinet would only agree.

7. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

That's a 1930 Gillette NEW razor in an Aristocrat box. See my SOS post today. Looks the same to me and it's definitly not like my Aristocrat! :rolleyes:

8. CSL

CSL Member

Yup. That was my take on it too.

I have the OC A'crat model that goes with that box.

Hope the buyer didn't think that was what they were getting...

9. ridgerunner

ridgerunner Active Member

Is that NEW the one they named Bostonian? I agree, it's definitely a NEW.

10. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

New Improved in an Aristo Case? Nice case but wrong razor or vise versa

11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Everyone buying on E-Bay has got to beware....At least they showed the problem in the pic...I've bought when what came wasn't what was in the pic...For years now I just deny myself the luxury of considering the Bay an option.

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Off topic from the OP, but I've never dealt with e-bay. After hearing some of the deals gone bad from this forum and a pen forum I used to visit, I never will. Granted, there are some good, I'll even say great deals to the point of being a steal, that have been had. I'm just not going to risk it. If I want a shaving item that I just can't find in my jaunts, I'll put a Wanted post in the BST forum.

We now return you to your regular programing.

13. Stroker

No it's not the Bostonian. The Bostonian is a three piece long screw and the NEW is a short screw. The Bostonian had a hollow handle with an internal sleeve that takes the long screw attached to the top plate of the head. The NEW is a three piece that has a short screw on the top plate that screws directly into the top of the handle just under the bottom plate of the head. (like modern day DE's such as Merkur) The Bostonian has a different scoring on the handle as well. It's composed of diamond shaped patches of perforations. The Bostonian is silver colored as well. :) Here are some shots of a Bostonian...

Attached Files:

14. YankeeBoy

YankeeBoy Member

As CSL pointed out. The buyer could have been after the box the razor was housed in. I know that I would have liked a nice box for my Aristocrat. Cases are getting harder to find and the really nice ones even harder harder to find without buying another razor.

15. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

It could be a Bostonian. Just like the Aristocrat, the Bostonian came in different styles over the years - usually being the same as other razors of the time but the only difference being the case and/or box they were sold in.

Here's a 1930s Bostonian NEW. You can faintly read the word 'Bostonian' on the lower right hand corner of the shipper box:

[​IMG]

16. Stroker

Looks like that WAS a Bostonian. I wasn't aware the "Bostonian" label carried over to designs other than the 1920's style but they certainly do. Thanks for the info, we learn something new every day. I stand corrected Sir, I was just trying to help and offered the information that I knew of personally. The information that I gave was for the 1920's style and I was unaware of the 1930 style having that label as well. I personally own a gold 1930 NEW open comb like that without the case. Seeing that photo, I assume it's referred to as a Bostonian if it comes in a Case with the blade holder. Please pardon my "short on knowledge" attempt to help. I will be very happy to keep my mouth shut in the future.

17. IAmTheJody

No worries Bruce. That's one of the reasons we're all here.. to share and to learn. I'm still learning about razors myself.

There are subtle variations in the 30s and 40s NEWS but they are basically the same razor.. just called different things depending on what case they were put in. Here's 3 examples.. same razors except for different knurling band placement on the handle of the Red And Black NEW than the Bostonian NEW and Canadian NEW, both latter the same exact....

1940s Blue-Gold Special NEW but exact same razor as the 1930s Bostonian including the knurling:
    [​IMG]

1940s Canadian Gold Special NEW but exact same razor as 1930s Bostonian including the knurling:
    [​IMG]

1930s Red And Black set (same razor, different handle knurling bands):
    [​IMG]

18. CSL

CSL Member

But then, even if it was a Bostonian, it wouldn't go with that case, right??? (The ebay one, I mean).

19. IAmTheJody

Right. That's a 1930s Bostonian or 1940s Blue-Gold Special in a 1934 Aristocrat case.

For reference, this is a 1934 Aristocrat and is what is supposed to be in that case:
    [​IMG]

The 1934 Aristocrat was Gillette's first twist-to-open razor in America.

20. CSL

CSL Member

Right. That's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying.