Is this an Aristocrat???

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by CSL, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Just got my razor out and compared it to those pics and it looks like it matches the 1940 Canadian Gold Special but it is stamped made in USA so, I assume it is a 1930's Bostonian without the case and blade holder. (probably long gone.) I base this assumption on the fact that it has the long comb and the knurling/band patterns on the handle that are similar to the 1940's Canadian Gold Special. Wow, these things have more blood lines than a dog pound pooch! lol Thanks for the great comparitive display.

2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Well it could be come from the Blue-Gold Special set too. All 3 razors - Canadian Gold Special, USA Blue-Gold Special and Bostonian - are the exact same razor and knurling. Only difference is one was made in Canada.

You're right.. Gillette did tons of weird things in terms of packaging and recycling old parts into new models, and has done these weird things since the 1914 Aristocrat. Another good example is the New Improved models from the 1920s... the 1920s Aristocrat, New Standard, Chippendale, Richwood, Bostonian, Algonquin and Traveler sets - all the same razor.

3. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Without a case or box to establish what promotional name would have been applied to my 1930's Gold Gillette NEW open long comb, stamped made in USA razor, I was correct calling it a 1930's Gillette NEW Open Comb. Hard telling what pedigree it came from. Thanks.