Is this deal worth it?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ariyan, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Ariyan

Ariyan Member

Hi there,
    I'm just shout to start in the world of wet shaving and I saw this deal on our version of Amazon/Ebay; a brand new in box Muhle R108 Short Black + 10 Merkur blades + Art of Shaving unscented cream, all for just $45nz. (Each $nz is about 70c US) I think this is a great deal especially considering that something like lower level Muhles are selling for over $70nz. What do you think?

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

brit, Douglas Carey, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'd say considering here in the US, Amazon sells the 106 for about $55.00, sounds good to me.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  3. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Yup, I would agree, it is a good buy.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Pull the trigger on that deal and get to shaving young man! Welcome. And try not to fall victim to the AD's us old guys are prey to. :)

Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  5. RetLEO-07

So, inquiring minds would like to know. Did you take the deal? If so have you shaved with it yet? C'mon lad, don't keep us in suspense.
    :signs002:

brit and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. Ariyan

Ariyan Member

Ahaha I'm glad you are interested!! I certainly did take the deal, it's in shipping now, hopefully it will be here by tomorrow. I have also purchased a matching black brush, bowl and stand as well as a 105pk sampler blades and a muhle blade guard. I can't wait to get to use them.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

7. RetLEO-07

:happy088:
    Enjoy the shaves my young friend!

8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

You did quite well. Congrats, and keep us posted.

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Awesome, my friend! You have a nice set up.

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Smart to buy the sampler pack of blades. Very few people like Merkur blades...And by very few, I mean I've met about five people online who thought they were great in the last ten years.

11. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Agreed! I had a tuck of Merkurs in my original blade sampler last fall...the only positive is the plastic case which is good for putting other blades in for travelling.

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@Ariyan we are looking forward to hearing about your shaves, once you get your gear. You made a good choice for a starter setup.

Jayaruh likes this.
  13. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I always say if AOS is involved, it's no deal :)

14. RetLEO-07

+1 There's one in our local mall. Don't know how they survive. I've never seen anybody(including me) buy anything there.

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :signs011:

16. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I just checked Amazon prices here in the states and the razor alone is $56 (US). You'll be getting the cream and some blades, too. AoS has its detractors, but mostly because of their high prices for brushes, soaps and creams. Their soft products are actually pretty good, though; I tried them years ago.

IMO, the Merkur blades will be fine until you have something to compare them with. But to start, they'll do what you want -- i.e. get started wet shaving. It's not like you're going to cut your throat with them and most Muhle heads are on the mild side.

Muhle razors are very good; they're the only fixed-head razor I use (though infrequently). But your particular deal looks good to me.

The only other thing to consider is a brush, and synthetics are a good, inexpensive way to start. Boars are good too, but most take some break-in time. You'll find lots of good advice here for a decent brush.

Have fun!

Bama Samurai and RetLEO-07 like this.
  17. VTHippy

VTHippy New Member

You can't go wrong with the RazoRock Plisoft. Virtually every reviewer loves it. I recently bought one from Amazon for about $15 delivered. I'm done brush searching. I can still remember when I thought I was getting into wet shaving to save money. I'll need to live to about 140 to break even.

ninjack, brit, DesertTime and 2 others like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    On the bright side, as hobbies go, this one is fairly inexpensive and easily portable.

ninjack, brit, gorgo2 and 1 other person like this.
  19. jsw41

jsw41 Member

It's a hobby that makes you feel good.

ninjack and gorgo2 like this.
  20. VTHippy

VTHippy New Member

Yes, when compared to sailing, flying, or art collecting. Not so much when compared to bowling, chess, bridge, matchbook covers, or string collecting. But with those, you still need to shave.

RyX, gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.