Is this straight any good?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Phily_G, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Phily_G

Phily_G Member

2. Phily_G

Phily_G Member

3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

The first one has some hone wear, especially at the toe. So it might be ok but I think for the price you might be able to do better. Dovo is a good brand though. Almost any vintage razor that says Solingen on it will be made well. It's just a matter of what's been done with it since it was made. The auction ended on the second one but from what I could see it looked ok. The pics on both were not that good though. If you're new to straghts, you may be better off buying from one of the forum BST boards. You can be pretty sure you won't get a blade with chips or cracks. And often they're honed and ready to shave unlike what you find on eBay.

On your second question, honing runs around $20 + shipping if needed here in the States.

4. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

The second razor is the better razor, word of advice unless you are 100% per cent sure no other straight razor users will not bid on that razor I would advise you not to put up the link good luck with the second razor perfect choice for a newbie shaver.

gssixgun likes this.
  5. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I would avoid the Dovo Bismarck, especially at the latest bid. You can get a new one for less. The hone wear is very bad on that one.

6. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Well, I hope you won the bid on the second razor as it was the better of the two. :)