Is wet shaving cheaper to do than using disposable razors?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Joe Ingal, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Joe Ingal

Joe Ingal Member

I thought about this a lot. I was buying 10 disposable razors at the dollar store for $5.00 and a can of shaving gel. Now I spent $20 for a DE and blades can be bought on average for $15 per 100, bowl and brush kit for $20 and replacement shaving soap for $15. I'm thinking disposable razor shaving is definitely cheaper. Then I realized that the brush, bowl, accessories and shaving cream were all extras that weren't a true necessity. If I continued with the canned cream/gel and the DE, the DE would be cheaper because the only thing being replaced are the blades. At 100 blades for $15 average cost, that would be cheaper than 100 disposables at $50. The shaving soap, brush, dish, etc can be used or not used with any razor including a SE. Push comes to shove, bath soap can be used with any razor. However, you get what you pay for. If you want the best shave, you are going to buy the best of what is affordable to you. Bottom line is DE is not only cheaper, but more choices, better and safer quality products, better shave and can't forget the fun factor! I am new and this is just my opinion and how I view it.

2. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

We all came to DE shaving to save money but it never works out. There are always more soaps, blades and razors to try. I look at it as a hobby.

3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

A real cheapskate can easily make your own shave oil for virtually nothing. I'd choose that over goo any time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

178-bplatoon likes this.
  4. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I haven't bought any shaving related products for over a year. I have a smallish stash and I don't think I'll need to get anything for a very long while. It is saving me money. Piles of it.

Spyder, 178-bplatoon and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    If you don't succumb to SAD, RAD, SBAD, ... It can be cheaper. However, it is way better than using disposable razors.

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

If you stick to one razor, one brush, one soap and some blades, then yeah it's cheaper. But when going for more of these, then that's another story.

7. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

It is definitely cheaper, at least for me. Those cheap disposables never worked well enough to use for anything but emergencies. In fact, I never found a disposable that could give me a decent shave. The cartridges did better, and were acceptable, but the costs were significantly higher. I have two razors, one new and one vintage. The combined total is around $37. I purchased a 100 count package of Volkhods for $15, shipped. I have a $10 brush and $2 mug. Soap is anywhere from $6 to $15, although I won't be getting the $6 one again. The $15 one will last me at least the equivalent of 6 cans of cream, probably more. For cartridges, I would have spent around $24 on cans and $50 in cartridges for a total of $74. For the first year of DE shaving it is $79. Yes, that is $5 more. However, for the second year the cost goes down to less than half as I don't need to purchase another razor, brush, or mug. Plus I enjoy the process a lot more than I did with the cartridge razor. Now, I tend to be very budget minded. For those who aren't, it isn't likely to be about saving money to begin with.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

^ this

Basically, you CAN save money...if you really try and stick to your plan. Most of us don't...and won't...however, because we always have to get the latest and greatest thibg

jtspartan and Spyder like this.
  9. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

A person frugal by nature may be able to save money. For guys like me who enjoy the vast variety of products available to the wet shaver.........unlikely. I just spent more on two vintage shaving brushes than I would have buying a years supply of carts and goo :). But it is now a most enjoyable hobby.

10. dapper636

dapper636 Active Member

You *can* save money, yes. However, most of us here choose not to because we enjoy buying and trying new soaps, oils, balms, aftershaves, etc. It's a lifestyle choice. But if you *want* to save money, you certainly can. Figure $30-35 for a DE razor, $10-15 for a bush, and $15-20 / year for blades versus whatever you pay for disposable cartridges. Soap/foam/gel is a wash (no pun intended) since you would need to purchase that regardless.

DaltonGang, Spyder and lightcs1776 like this.
  11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Given the price of the older type (twin blades, fixed head) disposables, it's hard to beat that with a DE razor.

DaltonGang and Spyder like this.
  12. Marc D

Marc D Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.. I originally switched over to save money.. But then i got addicted and now its one of my favorite hobbies :)

jtspartan, Spyder, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  13. Marc D

Marc D Well-Known Member

Lately I have been treating Razors like Pokemon...i got to catch em all LOL can't believe i have 8 different ones now

14. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

It certainly COULD be cheaper. Remember that razor/brush/bowl will last you a lifetime. From then on you spend 15 bucks a year on blades, and you could probably shave for years with 10 dollars worth of arko sticks or something. The problem is once we've turned this from a chore to something enjoyable, all bets are off.

15. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I have two DE razors and one travel razor (Gillette Trac II). I don't need more razors than I actually shave with.

Spyder and lightcs1776 like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

I didn't find wet shaving as a money saving scheme. I purchased a straight razor for the cool factor. Then a 1/2 DE blade shavette, brush, & soap. And aftershave. Then a vintage Gillette DE. Then...
    I could stop purchasing hardware or software, but I won't. Too many things I'd still like to experience.
    One day my children will go through my estate and find a note that says, "Check Ebay for prices on the razors." I'm enjoying them now, they will later.

Straight razor dandy and Spyder like this.
  17. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

If you gathered up all the guys on all the shaving forums on the internet that got into wet shaving to save money I am sure it would amount to less than 10...okay maybe 12 guys. The rest of us just like collecting and spending money on shaving gear. If I really wanted to save money I would have just grown a beard.

18. Joe Ingal

Joe Ingal Member

It does save money if you only change razors. The problem with me was I didn't know about the soaps until I got into DE. I'll never go back to disposables and canned shave cream or gel. I enjoy the forums, the journey for the best shave, best scent and the best lather. It isn't my whole life, but definitely equal to my other interests.

smittywerbenmanjensen and Spyder like this.
  19. Joe Ingal

Joe Ingal Member

I agree. Since I stopped using canned shaving cream my neck stopped being red all the time. Somebody said it was the chemicals in the can that had a bad reaction to my skin.

Spyder and gorgo2 like this.
  20. Joe Ingal

Joe Ingal Member

In about 9 mo. I've use about half a 4 oz. tub of soap & less than 5 razor blades between DE & SE shaving.

Spyder and lightcs1776 like this.