Is your longest lasting soap also your favorite soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Fly2High, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

i am wondering what is your longest lasting soap? Which soap do you get the most number of shaves from?

Is it also your favorite?

Please list what is your longest lasting soap (as sold from the distributor) ?
    What is your favorite soap? Is it also the longest lasting? If not, how does it compare in duration?

I would be happy to start this off but since I have only started with soaps and wet shaving recently I can only offer my current favorite. It is a tie between TOBS sandalwood and Stirling Sharp Dressed Man.

Thanks.

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

In my many shaves, soap commander seems to last forever. Giving great lather, used anyway but sparingly, all mine show no or little sign of wear. In longevity, soap commander rules my collection.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  3. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Dave,
    Is it also your favorite?

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

They were, the lather is very good, for even being vegan*, the scents are renamed into traits (but you can find the normal favorites of many shavers)(the love or rose is the best rose ive used), the packaging lends well for face lathers (or semi cuz you can lather right on top of the soap), they last forever, and stack nicely.
    They are highly thought of by me, but my favorite has got to go to Sweeney Todd of Route 66. I have very high praises for KT's nose for scents. I've always liked the way she has for the most part asked what we wanted in a product, then went about supplying the goods.
    So to answer, Route 66, tops my list, followed close behind by Soap Commander.
    *i wouldn't know they were any different, if it wasn't written on the label.

Salty Belle likes this.
  5. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Have to say Tabac, seems to last forever, slick a can be and plenty of cushion. and it also is only one of three soaps that I have.

Dave

6. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Hey guys,

This is a two part question
    1. What's your longest lasting?
    2. Is it your favorite? If not what is?

Thanks

RyX likes this.
  7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have to give a thumbs up to @david of central florida for his Soap Commander answer. While these aren't an especially hard soap, they don't ever seem to disappear. In an almost uncanny way.

They are right up there in a very small group of favorite soaps that are sort of tied for first place.

8. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Here are my top favorite long lasting soaps

1. Haslinger Schafmilch Sheep Milk & Lanolin (very similar to MWF)
    2. Mitchell's Wool Fat
    3. Pre De Provence No. 63 Shaving Soap
    4. Tabac Soap

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Pretty sure this is the problem with your question. People around here can't nail down their "favorite", just favorites. :)

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have yet to finish off a soap. I'm still finding scents and makers to try & haven't used any one enough to know how long they last. It's about time to pull them all out of the cabinet and do another once through. I'll end up with at least six that I keep out for what serves as my rotation.

John Beeman likes this.
  11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    For me, the longer a soap stays around, the more I get tired of it. I'm weird, I know. :o

But there is a lot of soaps out there, and I don't like piles of "stuff". I have serious anti-hoarding tendencies.

12. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Longest lasting...Martin de candre and tabac. Favorite? They are both great, but I like companies that offer more variety like barrister and mann and Stirling.

markjnewcomb and RyX like this.
  13. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I do not mind if people have more than one favorite. What I am interested in whether the companies who are making long lasting product are also the ones that really hook their customer. Also how much does longevity play in people's preferences. Some may place longevity high while others may place say protection lather and scent higher or some other attribute.

Also, I am curious if others, like you might actually place a product a high but not their best because it lasts too long. Some just like change and a lasting product doesn't fit in this paradigm as well as a product that gets used quickly.

Me, I like the frugal nature of a long lasting soap but have limited space so I will be limited to how much variety I can have. I have a feeling once I hit about 12, I will not have a place to store them. So my dilemma is what I like best might compete with what lasts longer.

Keep the opinions coming. It is also great to see what people have marked as their longest lasting brand or brands. There are many threads on favorites but not in how that may compete with longevity. The idea came from someone with several sticks of Arko but sounding , to me, like they would like a change because each stick lasts so long.

Thanks everyone for your input.

RyX likes this.
  14. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Same here. I've never finished anything bigger than a sample or a small tube of cream (50ml)

15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Truthfully? Longevity is almost like this unconscious turnoff for me. All of these artisans are selling 4-6+ ounce soaps now; I wish they were 2-3, even if it meant paying a little more per ounce. You can't use them up fast enough to try everything you want to, and I personally don't want my own personal soap museum.

Size of a soap and longevity don't affect my purchasing choices at all, but if an artisan offered smaller options I would be all over them.

Ksblazer and Queen of Blades like this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Favorites(s!) that last forever (random order)
    • Martin de Candre
    • Soap Commander
    • Mitchell's Wool Fat

Another favorite is Route 66, but I've gone through several tubs.
    The brands listed above, which I use regularly, seem to never fade away.
    Part of the problem is I've far too many soaps in rotation is use an entire puck up within a reasonable time in most instances.

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

In the days before refrigeration and all pervasive preservatives Triple Milled soaps had all the moisture pounded out of them. Shift to the fast paced world in which we live where New and Improved isn't good enough. Ultimate ought to be the best, but there's still another version being designed in the labs.
    If a shaver desires short cycle time from initial opening to scraping the bottom, Croaps and Creams might be the direction to steer. Containing a fair amount of hydration already & easier loading for the soft nature compared to old fashioned dry hard pucks.
    I do like a thirsty soap as they seem to be forgiving when adding dribbles of water to tune lather. Being long lasting in the tub may equate to economical. But this is shaving and even if you got into it to save money it's more about enjoying the experience.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  18. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Actually, this thread is not about favorites that last forever. It is about the comparison between soap brands that you find to last the longest and the brands that you like best. I do not believe everyone's favorite will also equate to the longest lived

19. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

For me , I got into wet shaving to reduce ingrown hair, less irritation, a closer longer lasting shave and for the personal enjoyment that lacked from my electric and one can of gel goo. Saving money would be a benefit but secondary for me.

Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  20. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

My Favorite: MDC
    Longest lasting: MDC

IMHO, MDC is the longest lasting and my daily favorite. It's not my favorite because it is long lasting, it is my favorite because of the shave it gives me. Long lasting is just another benefit.

Bama Samurai, clint64 and RyX like this.