Issues Around/Under Adam's Apple Base of the Neck

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by GarnerPW, Jul 21, 2017.

1. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

This morning shave was the following set up.

Soap: Derby Tub Soap in Homemade Stick
    Brush: JR #180
    Razor: Black Tip
    Blade: Derby Extra
    Post Shave: Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel & Styptic Pencil

After using primarily SE's for the past month & a half I decided to show a DE some love this morning. The shave was great for the first two passes, then fell on its face. I wanted to try shaving WTG(Throat-Ear) around my Adam's Apple this morning after mapping my bread this past weekend with some cotton balls. I started down at the base of my neck and I guess I didn't get the proper angle or didn't have the razor parallel to my nick but I tore myself up. I looked like I got in a fight with a cat. After trying to remove my voice box in four stokes(two each side of my adam's apple) I went back to ATG(Neck-Face) and finished strong. I finish the shave off with some witch hazel to try to stop the blood and had to use a styptic pencil on some of the bigger spots.

Now I know you are asking what is the point of this post? Where is the question? Well the point/question is does anybody else have the same issue when shaving at the base of the neck? Has anybody been able to work this issue out and can now shave from throat-ear/ear-throat with out the blood letting?

Keithmax and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

My neck is the most sensitive and difficult area on my face to shave, I finally figured out that going for clean (DFS) was so much easier for me.
    Try adding a preshave product to your neck.

GarnerPW likes this.
  3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Okay, my .02. I've always had issues on my lower neck. On the right side low the hair grows in about 4 different directions in the space of 2 inches. Last week I finally felt that I had solid enough technique to try J hooking the area. I very carefully gave it a shot and it worked like a champ. It is now a permanent addition to my 2.5 pass shave.

GarnerPW likes this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

A. Throw away the DE.
    B. Short of that try buffing the area maybe.

Short light strokes will clean my neck up every time.

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I don't shave throat to ear but I do shave ear to throat. It is my ATG pass and it was the hardest pass to figure out for straight razor shaving. Once I figured it out for straights I could apply it to other razors.

Skin stretching and find the correct angle was the key. You need to use both hands for this but I think it could be accomplished with just your dominant hand.

To shave the right side of my neck from ear to throat I tilt my head to the left and the reach over my head with my left hand placing my fingers on my check and pull up. Then I shave with my right hand. For the left side I reverse it. Tilting my neck and then pulling the skin taught gives me flat surface to shave. I use alum on my finger tips to give me a good grip.

To clean up even lower on my neck I use a scything motion.