It's Here! Merkur 41c "1904 Open Comb"

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jasman, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

:signs046::whacky024:. You're still in time for the July newbie giveaway: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/july-newbie-give-away.33749/. I think that, whenever you find a particular new product that gives you irritation, it's in your best interest to see a doctor about possible allergens, so that you can find out which specific ingredients to avoid; even "hypoallergenic" products can cause some folks problems, as attested by the board members who can't use coconut-based soaps. More than one person in my family - myself included - goes into anaphylactic shock from certain allergens, so I think a medical consultation is the safest route for you.

Justin Cook likes this.
  2. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Having learned that I cannot use a Treet two days in a row, it was time to move on to the Shark this morning. As irritation-free for me as the Treet was, though I got an impressive weeper on my upper lip and without as clearly audible a 'crunch' as it reduced my stubble. The Sharp looks a little bit worse for my face - at this time, with this particular razor, etc. - the more I try out different blades.

3. Justin Cook

Justin Cook New Member

Thanks for showing me the newbie contest, I told em i was interested. I'll also be sure to bring the irritation up with my doc next time I see him, I've never been allergic to anything but there's a first time for everything.

also just wanted to say I ordered some Derby blades just because I'm curious to see if a supposedly "duller" blade will be better for me to shave with (I'm 18 so my stubble isn't that coarse.)
    hope you don't mind me posting about my shaving escapades in your thread along with you.

4. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

No problem at all, Justin; glad I could be of help. If you're interested in dull blades, the 7AM I started with is a good brand to investigate. Up to you to decide if that's a good thing.

Justin Cook likes this.
  5. Justin Cook

Justin Cook New Member

I'll sample the derbys and go from there, the Wilkinsons just aren't good for me, i cant seem to press hard enough or do enough passes to get a close shave otherwise i get so much irritation once my face is hot, i live in the desert and its HOT right now. I;m thinking about getting an alum block because I'm hearing alot of people talking in this alum thread about irritated skin from tiny cuts when you sweat, i thought it was just razor burn or maybe i needed sun screen but perhaps this is the remedy. I'm going to buy one, more on this later.

PS. if you want to try and blades I have and I didn't like I'll send a pack or what I have left of a pack also i have 30 Derbys coming so if you want some of them just ask I'll make my mom pay for the stamp! :signs136:

6. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Day three made that Shark blade feel like sharkskin on my face by the end, so its longevity appears to be wanting for my face, razor, etc. On to the Bic Chrome Platinums tomorrow, and hopefully an ever-improving experience.

On a more positive note, I managed - with help from my SO due to my cranky computer - to get an order through to Ginger's Garden for some nicely scented shave soap. I'm definitely looking forward to that delivery.

Justin Cook likes this.
  7. Gary Hoffman

Gary Hoffman New Member

I have the mentioned Merkur 41c open comb with an Astra blade and find it be just groovy. Freaking love it. Try it you'll like it, promise...

Jasman likes this.
  8. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

It's next on the list. Two more days, my friend. :) The 41C's not a bad little shaver, is it?

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I like both the Astra SP and the SS....They both give me good shaves and the price on the SP is especially good (10.98 for a 100 with free shipping through amazon)...

10. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Two shaves in, and my opinion of the Bic hasn't changed. It's right up there with the Treet for best shave for my face with this setup, and appears to last better than the Treet as well. We'll see in a few days how it compares to the Astra, the Derby, and the Dorco, then try the three I like the best against each other. If the Treet's still in the running, I'll have to try Liesureguy/Mantic's suggestion of drying the blade then dipping it in alcohol to extend its life, at least in this initial test phase.

11. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

The last test day for this Bic produced the best shave yet with my new soap. Astra gets high marks around here, but it's got a tough row to hoe in following the Bic, in my book. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

12. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Either the Astra SP is a good deal sharper than the Bic Hi-Chrome Platinum, or I messed up somewhere in prep, technique, or general concentration. We'll see if my neck is up to shaving tomorrow for the Astra's second test day.

13. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Day 2 with the Astra SP produced no weepers and a BBS shave, but I did get a bunch of irritation again, even before I'd finished the XTG pass. For me, thus far, that puts it roughly on par with the Shark, ahead of the 7AM, well ahead of the Sharp, but behind the Bic Chrome Platinum. I think the Astra may be a bit sharper than the Shark, but the Shark (through 2 days) was a bit smoother.

14. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

I agree 100%!

15. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

The issue I have with the 7AM is that it encourages one to approach DE shaving with the same amount of pressure one uses for cartridge shaving. Apply this technique to almost any other DE razor blade, and. . . :scared001:

16. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Third and final day with this Astra SP blade. After two passes, my neck was too irritated - though unbloodied - to even consider an ATG pass. Two bad shaves in three days makes me think the Astra isn't for me, at this point and with this razor.

Ratings so far:
    1. Bic Chrome Platinum
    2. Treet - would probably be first if I could get 2 or more days from it.
    3. Shark Super Chrome
    4. Astra SP
    5. 7AM - at least I won't get weepers or irritation without deliberate effort.
    6. Sharp Hi-Chromium Durablades

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If I may, please don't toss 'em. Tuck them up in the cabinet and come back to 'em in a few months or so. I've heard a whooooole lotta stories of folks who didn't like a product, stashed it, then "found" it again later and discover it was really a pretty good thing.

By the way, aren't you due a new razor to try those blades in, anyway? ;)

18. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I'm not tossing them, except after use. I AM trading away some of them for some other blades I haven't tried just yet (Treet Platinum, Trig Silver Edge Stainless, Bolzano, Personna Barber) to widen my experience base.

swarden43 likes this.
  19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I know cats that love the Treets....They spread a drop of baby oil on them before.......and after shaving, they dry the blade and spread another drop of baby oil to keep them from rusting.....Sounds worth it to me for a great shave...just be cool when spread that drop with your finger....;)....

20. Justin Cook

Justin Cook New Member

Also, something that I've noticed is that differnt blades work better depending on your growth/area of your body ur shaving (if u don't just shave ur face... I admit to nothing) I definitely love my new Derby they're prefect for me, at least more so than any other blade ive tried, and they wouldn't cut through 5 day growth. They would just kindof skip on my face and tug a little bit but they didnt really get much done, but i switched to my Wilkinson's just to knock the tall ones down and it worked like a charm with no irritation like i had before, just something to keep in mind.