Ivory Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Knox, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I never like hearing something like this. Hope you have rebounded well.

Diamondtim likes this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

There has been a few times in the past when I was out of shave cream or gel, yes the old days, and I used to lather up soap on my face and it worked ok.

Yehuda D likes this.
  3. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Yes I did, I started a new job working for Winnabego Motor homes in Junction City, OR. I help to build the floors, roofs, and walls in the lamination department.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yehuda D and Knox like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice thread. I never saw my dad use real shaving soap, cream, or goo. I think he only used bar soap, no brush either. He was a navy guy, too, and grew up in the depression.

Yehuda D and Mark B like this.
  5. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Used ivory on the back of my neck today - hand lathered like I was washing my hands. Excellent results - granted that hair isn't as thick as my beard. But I have to shave it about 3 times a week.

Yehuda D likes this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Same here, though my father was not a Navy guy, just a brief turn in the Army during WWII. I actually shaved the same way until a couple of years ago.

Yehuda D, Jim99, Mark B and 1 other person like this.
  7. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I've used Ivory soap for shaving but with just so-so results. On the other hand, Dove performs a lot better as a shaving soap.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  8. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Used it again this morning - hand lathered and applied for my first pass.

It worked ok, but the rest of the shave was finished with good ol' Williams.

Experiment over. Nice to know it works if necessary, but I'm glad I have 3 years worth of Arko and Williams in my cabinet.

Yehuda D and Jim99 like this.
  9. Sammy1

Sammy1 Active Member

I use Ivory Aloe every so often from mug to bowl. I t lathers nicely and smells better than regular Ivory, skin seems better to when I use it.

Jim99, Yehuda D and Knox like this.
  10. Yehuda D

I converted a good friend of mine to our way and I bought him a Wilkinson brush, a Junjie DE, and I gave him some Derbys. He tried Ivory and he said it doesn't lather well enough. I gave him an Arko stick and I taught him how to use. He's a happy camper!

Jim99 and PickledNorthern like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Good soap of last resort, not any shaving soaps left on the planet:rofl:.

Jim99 and Yehuda D like this.
  12. Yehuda D

If I had to use a non-shaving soap I'd use Dove. That one's about the closest you could get because it does lather well.

LOOT and Jim99 like this.
  13. chevyguy

I remember using Dove with my Trac-ll back when I was a teenager. My mom always had it or Yardley's in the soap dish. You had to rinse your razor well otherwise the soap and stubble would plug it up. It was a thirsty soap and it did make a good protective lather.

Clayton

Yehuda D and Jim99 like this.
  14. Macktheknife

Macktheknife Active Member

Grampa would have used Ivory and a straight a couple times a week. They used to make men tougher back in the day.

The old guys would never have spent the $$$ on a fancy puck of European soap.

Yehuda D likes this.
  15. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Honestly I think Dove might be easier to lather than Williams...

Yehuda D and PickledNorthern like this.
  16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

More stable anyway.

Yehuda D likes this.
  17. chevyguy

Williams just takes patience and lot's of water to get the lather right. Once you figure it out it lathers consistently every time.

Clayton

Yehuda D likes this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

When I first started, I used Dove for about six months then I went to Stirling. Never went back.

Hand soap works in a pinch, but often drying to the face.

LOOT, Yehuda D and Slipperyjoe like this.
  19. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

It's popular in Canadian neighborhoods..:p
    Moose Williams.png

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Yehuda D likes this.
  20. Yehuda D

Normally I would steer clear of Williams but my wife's boss gave me a brand-new puck of it. Would you believe it gave me good lather this morning? Ok, it doesn't have the skincare that other soaps have but I have plenty of good balms to use.

wchnu and Slipperyjoe like this.