January 2015 30 Day Rule/30 Day Focus Pic and Discussion Thread- All are Welcome

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Greetings Denizens...

Pics and discussion of 30 DAY RULE for those doing it in January 2015...here we go! Pics make these threads work.

Direct chatter is encouraged, I encourage all to quote posts when in discussion so we can all follow along.

I hope everyone learns a few things, makes a few friends and has a great time. See SOTD if you want an example of how this thread might work.

The housekeeping-

These are the the rules. Follow them. ;)

So let's do this...I opened it now for general prep and discussion.

To Newbies: TSD is participation driven... you should probably be on this thread too!>>here<<

We on TSD call it SOTD or SoS. It is central to DE shaving on TSD. Feel free to jump in and post pics there too. They love pics. Coming up with 30 interesting pics in January is quite possibly another fun time!

Have fun, follow your plan...and we are off!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    TrentRTR, macaronus, Troy M and 2 others like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

30 interesting pics in 30 days. Now there's a challenge. I've got the 1918 cleaned and ready, Omega pro 48 is arriving Tuesday and I'll be ready to go. Looking forward to the workout on technique while bringing a 96 year old classic back to life.

3. Bama Samurai

Still need Voskhod?

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Yeah at this point I do. Still hoping the Russian shipment will be here by Thursday but no guarantee.

Troy M and GDCarrington like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

It will probably work out. ;)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    NCoxSTL, Troy M and GDCarrington like this.
  6. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I'll need to re-charge my soap bowl with VDH as it is getting low.
    The womenfolk will be gone tomorrow, so I'll have full run of the kitchen.
    I'll get my double boiler setup out, get 2 cakes of VDH melted and poured
    into my soap container.

I'm stoked! :bounce017:

7. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

[​IMG]

I've picked my razor out! Gillette New Long Comb given to me by my son. I have to pick a blade out. My soap will be determined by the end of the year but I'm leaning towards Klar's Kabinett. I will use my Vie-Long 13061M horsehair brush. Aftershave may be Old Spice or Captain's Choice Cat O'Nine Tails or Ogallala Bay Rum. I also will use homemade PSO or Cornhusker's for a pre-shave.

8. Bama Samurai

1963 Gillette Slim Adjustable.
    Likely Voskhod
    Still pondering....

Really excited!

wristwatchb and GDCarrington like this.
  9. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Calculating the necessary change in hold angle.
    Merkur 45 vs. Gillette Super Speed.

P1010666_35pct.jpg

and a slightly different perspective

P1010669_30pct.jpg

I'm working on a test lather w/Omega 49 and VDH.

I'll have a lather shot or two soon. :)

Boojum1, wristwatchb and GDCarrington like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Shall we talk head geometry? Gimme a bit...need to make pix of what I am doing.

Bristle Me and GDCarrington like this.
  11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'm looking forward to hearing your experience. I have a New LC that I recently acquired as well but decided to use the 1918 Old Style this time.

Bama Samurai, Troy M and GDCarrington like this.
  12. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

This is my 2nd LC. One is returning from plating with Nick at Sport Shaving in Shreveport, LA. It has a Tech handle so is not 'correct' but it shaves well. It should arrive in tomorrow's mail.
    [​IMG]

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

New.jpg
    Very nice. Mine has a Contract Tech handle on it but the head is the New...that's what counts.

14. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Test lather.
    Omega 49 & VDH.

Soaked the brush in warm water for 5-7 minutes.
    Mix bowl is Pfaltzgraff soup mug, 14 oz.
    Soap bowl is also Pfaltzgraff. (stoneware)

P1010656_30pct.jpg

Removed the brush and gave it 2 brisk shakes.

P1010657_30pct.jpg

Loaded VDH for 15 seconds or so.

P1010659_30pct.jpg

Now to the bowl.

P1010660_30pct.jpg

A bit sticky and the brush looks a tad dry.

P1010661_30pct.jpg

Brush dipped and back to the bowl.

P1010662_30pct.jpg

That looks better. Just a dab more water and some elbow grease.

P1010664_30pct.jpg

Time to shave!! :)

15. Bama Samurai

I am changing from a Utopia 3 piece to a Gillette. My Utopia appears on the right in the photos.

For @Bristle Me
    Utopia versus MTO/VDH/Weishi 9306

image.jpg

Utopia versus vintage late 40's Gillette Super Speed image.jpg

Utopia versus vintage early 60's Gillette Slim Adjustable image.jpg

16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Chris,
    Can a member use the same razor for 30 days and participate? While using different soaps, brushes, aftershaves? Or is this strictly a 30 day one setup?
    The reason I ask when my RazorRock Slant arrives I will like to use it for 30 days with this group.
    Thanks!
    Kerry

17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The 30 day rule is 30 days with the same razor, same blade make, same brush, same soap.

Pre and post shave items like pre shave balms, oils, and after shaves, fragrances and balms are not a part of the rule.

The rule really involves the physical shaving act itself and is focused on keeping all things equal, so that it becomes a personal learning process versus hardware / software learning process.

18. Bama Samurai

30 Days with a slant? Why not? No one is monitoring soda adherence. So... Make up a 30 Day exercise for your technique on the slant, come on in. Maybe some other guys got slants too.

Just be sure to post pics, if you can!

Ceferguson, Misphit and GDCarrington like this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

All set and ready to go. Looking for to this helping me master the New LC.

[​IMG]

20. Bama Samurai

I think the "30 Day Rule" is the starting point I am shooting at. I am gonna try it the strict way to show solidarity with true newbies. That being said, I think anyone posting about 30 day rules, razor technique, interest in technique or hybrid exercises like yours will fit in nicely. I am hoping to create a temporary thread about focusing on the concept that "technique trumps tools." I think the exercises that a true new shaver might need are different than someone simply looking to master a new razor. When I form groups I want them to be as broadly inclusive as possible without losing focus. I was thinking on my posts that would list something like this:

"6 months DE experience, 30 Day Rule (Slim, Voskhod, Arko)"

Someone else might be doing this:

"20 years DE experience, Hybrid 30 Day Rule, (RR Slant, Ladas) - Soap/brush per daily test needs."

But I think even though those descriptions are different, and only one follows the letter of the rule, we are both intrinsically doing a 30 Day technique drill. In my opening post I left it vague other than follow TSD rules. I want people to absolutely feel free and welcome to contribute to the group exercise while pursuing individual goals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.