January 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2016.

?

How long have you been part of the 30 Day Crew?

1. Charter Member baby! Since January 2015

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Over a year and a half

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. About a year

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Last 6 months or so

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. This is only my 2nd or 3rd month

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. I'm a Newbie!!

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  7. I'm not telling until you give me a cookie!!

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

January wrap up.
    This month's focus was on straight razors and Route 66 soaps.
    It has been a wonderful month. As far as the 30 day focus goes, this has probably been the best one yet. The Route 66 performed fantastic on every shave. It was slick and easy to lather with great post shave feel.
    I've also learned a lot more about shaving with straight razors, to the point of being a pretty much blood free month. I've even started to use ATG passes with good results. See you in February.
    Route 66 Sweeney Todd
    B-400 Brush by Tom
    Geneva Cutlery Razor
    Lucky Tiger
    Ogallala Bay Rum
    Have fun![​IMG]

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Classic wrap up for the month. I have been reading back through January 2015 this month and one of the things that stuck out was the wrap up everyone did at the end of the month. Kind of a "what did I learn" thing that we did. You just do it with class and a calendar. Well done!

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Great month! And overall I would give this the award for best 30 Day Thread overall. At least top 3, but I'd have to do a lot of research to find the exact order. At the moment, lack of caffeine and bacon are preventing my brain from thinking that hard.

4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Though you wouldn't catch me anywhere near a SR, I'm happy that your technique has improved so much. I have also noted a marked improvement in my own. For this just being an audition for blades, it has helped me a lot. That and the support of the guys here on the thread.

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Neal.

I would agree. This was one of the better 30 day threads that I recall. It really served as a great example of the best attributes of the TSD in general and the 30 day thread in particular.

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

This thread has been the sole reason for the improvements in my shaving skills. It is a very helpful group of guys. Glad you are here.

7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I felt the same way about badgers, until I tried an Envy White. Don't write them off entirely, but if you like boars, look for a badger with boar like qualities.

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

That's the ticket. There are badgers for every different requirement. The trick is finding the one that does what you want of the brush.

9. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

If I do try a badger again, it will probably be an Envy White after reading everyone's rave reviews of them. It will probably also be after NB'17 now that I managed to destroy the handle I would have put a knot in. And in the meantime I will just have to make do with enjoying the meagre selection of brushes I have remaining in my rotation... :) :p

10. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

My focus this month was to use bigger straight razors. Out of 16 total shaves, 7 were with straights, 4 of which were bigger blades. Whoops. I also did 4 DE shaves 5 SE shaves. Those helped me figure out which razors will be heading out, to get my collection under control. I also did two soap tests and reviews. Overall good month, even if I didn't stay on focus. I did get very comfortable with my badger brush, so that's a plus.

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

AND.....most importantly, you survived dinner with your wife after mentioning more razors!

12. RyX

RyX DoH!

January Glad to be Home Shave

Brand X Test Cream & Omega 98
    Weck shavette & Personna blade
    Gillette NEW LC & Feather blade
    Alum and Avon Bravo AS

SOTD 01312017.gif
    Shave cream is available in York Peppermint Patty scented? Yes, please! Chris @americanshamrock sent a very generous tub of his prototype cream. The previous was lavender/menthol. This from the same base gives The Sensation! Plenty of cooling menthol plus that dark chocolate minty flavor. I didn't taste it, but now I'm jonesing for the candy.
    Final shavette use for the month & Focus. I'm still using a DE for a thorough clean up pass but getting more proficient with the open blade. Then there's the almost a straight razor intimidation factor. "You shave with one of those?" Yup, impressive when showing off the travel kit.
    Todays shave finished bloodless, quiet alum, and topped it off with a vintage aftershave. Avon Bravo is on the sweet side complimenting the cream's first use.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Just realized I posted the wrong picture for my Saturday shave with the Staley. Love the soap and aftershave combo.
    IMG_5613.JPG

14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

On this day in 1990 the first McDonalds opened in the motherland.
    [​IMG]

15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

[​IMG]

-Blackbird Closed Comb w/Polsilver (1)
    -999 Shave Flattop Boar
    -Soap Commander Courage
    -Stirling Sandalwood

Had to run today, so a quick shave with my favorite DE. It always leaves me with a perfect shave.

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

You didn't taste it?! You get extra points when you do. And you were soooooo close to winning the month too.

SharptoothC, clint64, RyX and 5 others like this.
  17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

The Veg.JPG

RyX, Keithmax, SharptoothC and 6 others like this.
  18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Fantastic summary, Clint! :happy088:

19. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Love the photo!

20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn